PDA

View Full Version : Fleece vs Polarguard vests

vaporjourney
09-16-2006, 21:54
I'm trying to decide what additional layer I want to add for sitting around camp, to wear overtop of polypro/smartwool thermal underwear. For weeks I've been looking at either the Micropuff or Montbell Thermawrap vest. Both of those are pretty darn expensive, then, but I guess probably warm enough for camp. A cheaper solution for polarguard vests would be the MEC vest, but from what I've read its considerably colder than those mentioned above. Now I'm considering getting a fleece vest. Campmor has one that weights 14 oz that is 200 wt, and another that says its 450 wt that is 16 oz. I'm not exactly an ultralight hiker, but am definitely interested in cutting pounds. The Patagonia Micropuff is 7 oz lighter than the heaviest fleece vest I listed, but is also $80 more. Not sure if half a lb is worth that much money to me. However, warmth is, especially when coupled with weight savings. Any opinions on how these vests may compare to getting one made of polarguard?

vaporjourney
09-16-2006, 22:00
update: i just looked in detail and noticed that the 450 wt vest is only available in XL, bummer. The 200 wt vest is still a go, however I'm worried that that may not be heavy enough.

God I wish we could edit our posts.

Footslogger
09-16-2006, 22:03
I've got both the MEC primaloft pullover and the Patagonia Micro Puff. I carried the MEC on my thru in 2003 and picked up the micropuff in a winter sale for about half off or I never would have gotten one.

After owning those 2 garments I would never carry regular fleece on the trail again.

I've got plenty of fleece and use it around town but it doesn't go with me on hikes. Too bulky and heavy.

'Slogger

vaporjourney
09-16-2006, 22:41
slogger: how would you say that the MEC pullover compared with the micro puff? I see that you got the pullovers, but I assume that comparison is valid when applied to vests as well.

vaporjourney
09-16-2006, 23:57
well, i guess i should just kill this thread. I went to the MEC site, and they seem to have discontinued this vest, since they only sell it in one color now. perhaps they will bring more back in the winter? not sure. lots of changes for winter gear, with this MEC vest missing, and the Micropuff only being offered in the zippered version, not the lighter button-up version. I don't think 200 wt fleece will be warm enough on cold nights at camp. I guess the only option left is to get the zip up micro puff. I've seen the thermawrap by Montbell, but I'd like to have pockets, which the micropuff has. I'll bite the bullet and buy an expensive, but nice vest. thanks for the help anyway.

Tinker
09-16-2006, 23:59
1) You can wear it without a windbreaker if you need more ventilation. (The nylon which holds in the insulation on the Patagonia Puffball - and my Golite Buzz jacket is pretty much permanent :-?).

2) Fleece can be wrung out when drenched without loss of loft (can't be done with "filled" garments - they will lose quite a bit of loft, and may get damaged by the wringing) - and they dry more quickly, as the wind can blow through them.

Truth be told, however, you'll more likely find the "filled" jacket in my pack than the fleece, because of the weight and bulk of it.

On a day or weekend hike when wet weather is forecast, I might take the fleece, especially if it isn't too cold out.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-17-2006, 07:02
I've found Patagucci and similar manufactures to be way overpriced on outerwear. If you want a down vest, try this $25 down vest from Lands End (http://www.landsend.com/cd/fp/prod/0,1467,1_2_1931_68644_115635_94082_5:view=-1,00.html?CM_MERCH=ALT_68644&sid=6529128468824139640) (also available at most Sears) or this $49 down vest from Campmor (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=32339212). You can find similar deals on polarguard items. I got mine at a flea market for $2 - new with tags - about 10 yrs ago. It is a no-name vest that is navy on one side and orange blaze on the other - and weighs a whopping 1/2 oz more than a Patagucci micropuff.

SGT Rock
09-17-2006, 08:36
My wife made me the Kennebeck pullover from www.thru-hiker.com (http://www.thru-hiker.com). Very warm and insanely light. I am sure you could make it into a vest if you wanted. I prefer lofting material over fleece because of the lower bulk and weight for the same warmth.

Footslogger
09-17-2006, 09:30
slogger: how would you say that the MEC pullover compared with the micro puff? I see that you got the pullovers, but I assume that comparison is valid when applied to vests as well.
================================

The MEC one is not quite as puffy and a tad lighter but they both keep me very warm. Honestly I can't tell the difference in comfort once I have them on. Other thing was that the MEC pullover was about $60 and the full list on the Pataguchi was well over $100.

'Slogger

Footslogger
09-17-2006, 09:32
well, i guess i should just kill this thread. I went to the MEC site, and they seem to have discontinued this vest, since they only sell it in one color now. perhaps they will bring more back in the winter? not sure. lots of changes for winter gear, with this MEC vest missing, and the Micropuff only being offered in the zippered version, not the lighter button-up version. I don't think 200 wt fleece will be warm enough on cold nights at camp. I guess the only option left is to get the zip up micro puff. I've seen the thermawrap by Montbell, but I'd like to have pockets, which the micropuff has. I'll bite the bullet and buy an expensive, but nice vest. thanks for the help anyway.
===========================================

Check out Ebay before you throw in the towel. Been a while but I remember seeing several of the MEC's offered for sale.

'Slogger

dloome
09-17-2006, 16:45
Also see sierratradingpost.com for the occasional AMAZING deal on jackets and vests.

verber
09-18-2006, 15:56
On the fleece -vs- high loft synthetic insulation I would go with the high loft option unless finance constraints drive you to fleece due to it's lower base price and high durability. High loft vests will be significantly lighter and more compact to pack. You won't go wrong with an appropriate weight synthetic, high loft vest: montbell thermawrap if you run hot, or thicker options made with primaloft or polarguard if you want something warmer like the patagonia micro puff, MEC mentioned, ID Logan Vest, etc.

As to which materials, there is just a modest difference between the performance of Primaloft and Polarguard. Most other synthetic materials are significantly less performant. Also remember that shell material often plays a significant roll in overall durability and weight.

If you can manage moisture then down is a good options as well. Some tests run at backpackinglight.com found that some light weight high quality down vests recovered to a point of having more loft than a simular weight synthetic vest in less than an hour.

I appreciate Fronlicking Dinosaur observations about lower cost options that Patagucci, etc. I would agree if you pay retail price. But with options like STP, outlet stores, and period web sales it is possible to get things like the Micro Puff Vest for very reasonable sums of money. For example, the patagonia outlet stores do a memorial day sale which had the micro puff vest priced less than $50. I think LandsEnd is value priced, but my experience is that their stuff tends to be significantly heavier than the backpacking oriented items from companies like Western Mountaineering, Patagonia, MH, montbell. etc.

Alligator
09-19-2006, 13:54
well, i guess i should just kill this thread. I went to the MEC site, and they seem to have discontinued this vest, since they only sell it in one color now. perhaps they will bring more back in the winter? not sure. lots of changes for winter gear, with this MEC vest missing, and the Micropuff only being offered in the zippered version, not the lighter button-up version. I don't think 200 wt fleece will be warm enough on cold nights at camp. I guess the only option left is to get the zip up micro puff. I've seen the thermawrap by Montbell, but I'd like to have pockets, which the micropuff has. I'll bite the bullet and buy an expensive, but nice vest. thanks for the help anyway.I used to watch the MEC site a lot. Sometimes there is a gap in product offerings. I think they like to clear out inventory then introduce the next year's items. There was a gap between the Northern Lites and the Northern Lites II. They may simply be switching colors.

Alligator
09-19-2006, 14:16
My wife made me the Kennebeck pullover from www.thru-hiker.com (http://www.thru-hiker.com). Very warm and insanely light. I am sure you could make it into a vest if you wanted. I prefer lofting material over fleece because of the lower bulk and weight for the same warmth.How much did it weigh? I was thinking of trying that one.

SGT Rock
09-19-2006, 14:17
Mine came in at 9.7 ounces.

Footslogger
09-19-2006, 14:22
Mine came in at 9.7 ounces.
=================================

Sounds about right. My MEC long sleeve pullover (PrimaLoft) is about 11 oz

'Slogger

chicote
09-21-2006, 18:40
Montbell has a sale going on right now on such items check out their site. You can also go to Campsaver.com, they are having a 10% off sale and I believe that is on top of the already discounted montbell stuff. I am a big fan of down or synthetic fill instead of fleece also.

Cheers,

Chicote

Tinker
09-24-2006, 20:47
Looks interesting. Reasonable prices on hiking specific clothing:

http://www.bigskyinternational.com/Warm-n-Cozy/Better-than-FleeceJacketdetails.htm

vaporjourney
09-25-2006, 00:20
I was looking at that vest a week or so ago Tinker. The only thing that turned me off was that I believe it isn't as lofty compared to the Micropuff, although I may have been reading the specs wrong. The Bigsky vest claims 1.8 oz insulation, and the Micropuff says it uses 2.7 oz insulation. Other than that, seems like an awesome vest, and I like supporting these smaller companies that make killer products...

Tamarack
09-25-2006, 00:57
While reading this thread I'm even more confused. Newbie here, going hiking late Oct of this year and need warm clothes. What type of fabric/material should I be looking for? also I've got a size issue, many companies don't carry my size. (more info see the thread I started in the womens forum about needing warm plus sized clothes) I like that www.thru-hiker.com (http://www.thru-hiker.com) Thanks Rock! cus then I can just get extra fabric and extra inerds and make it to suit me. I am assuming that the coat you suggested is not already sewn together. The site didnt say sewing machine not included or some assembly required. :D

SGT Rock
09-25-2006, 03:22
Yes assembly is required Tamarack. And AYCE that runs the site is VERY helpful. So if you tell him what special needs you have when making whatever it is you are going to make, he can give you some good advice as to what other materials you may need or want or what changes can be made with the package.

Going in late October (you didn't say where) I would recommend a full set of polypro, a fleece hat, a scarf or neck gaiter, an insulated jacket, a full set of rain gear, some gloves or mittens, and some warm socks. Most of the stuff you should be able to buy like Polypro from an Army surplus store. The only part you may have trouble with is rain gear and insulated jackets.

Another possibility if you can do some sewing is to go to a surplus store and get a "parka liner" and then cut it down to what you need.

Tamarack
09-25-2006, 14:36
oops:rolleyes: I'm going to SNP inVA. Thank you for you help :D

Vi+
09-25-2006, 17:35
Boston,

I agree with you (Post #13), “I've never really seen a point to vests. They don't keep me very warm.”

I bought a Patagonia Micro Puff vest on sale for about $20.00. I also have the Micro Puff jacket.

There is a world of difference in performance for a slight increase in weight, and some greater difference in pack volume. The jacket works amazingly well. I’d love to leave it behind - I have loftier down garments - but it simply works so well, always, everywhere, except for hiking. The vest was a waste of money.

P.S., The vest doesn't work well for hiking, either. Neither garment ventilates sufficiently for times when I exert myself hiking. They're perfect clothes for my in-camp and in-sleeping-bag use.