PDA

View Full Version : Chocolate

Tamarack
09-17-2006, 10:21
Going on a 5 day hike. I have to have chocolate nearly every day. Just cant live without it. Anyone else have this? what type/brand of chocolate do you take? M&M's are they really melt in your mouth not in your hands/pack. just thinking here.

sarbar
09-17-2006, 10:32
Buy high end semisweet. It melts slower if it is hot :)

springerfever
09-17-2006, 12:13
A Bakers Semi-sweet chocolate bar in the Baking section of most stores is delicious and scored to break into pieces......plus, it does not melt easily..........

mweinstone
09-17-2006, 13:34
atrol please move this thread to general as it has no womans issues in it and its unfair to not be allowed to talk about chocolate.

white rabbit
09-17-2006, 18:53
Snickers are always good, even if melted!!!!!!!

sarbar
09-18-2006, 13:38
Snickers are always good, even if melted!!!!!!!
Them and Milky Way Dark bars firm back up in hot weather fats if dipped into a cold river :D

Seeker
09-18-2006, 14:57
knock, knock... excuse me... can i come in?

i've generally tried to give you ladies your space here, and seldom even come over to read, but this one caught my eye, as i am married to the world's worst chocoholic... she doesn't hike with me, but having seen her grind up a "chip's ahoy" cookie to get the chips out of it when we were out of chocolate, i know she's got a serious problem... that said, tootsie rolls are (to her anyway) a decent substitute. and they don't melt all that easily. another substitute that might work for you is hot cocoa... in the army, we ate it dry, just to have it a different way. chocolate pudding (cups or powdered/make your own) might do it too.

Mother Nature
09-18-2006, 15:28
I like the high-end dark chocolate chips in my gorp until it gets too hot and becomes a melted glop. Recently discovered M&Ms made with dark chocolate that have survived summer hiking very well.

I like a hint of a chocolate taste in my gorp so when I just don't feel like candy I add a cup of Coco-Kripies to the mix. When the grandchildren were here they abandoned a box of Coco-puffs that finished up it's existence in my gorp as well. :p

Mother Nature

Toasty
09-18-2006, 15:34
When I hike I will have a candy bar (usually Snickers) at least once a day. That is one of the reasons I plan to hike GA to ME! 180 days of candy bars. Whoppee!

Ramble~On
09-18-2006, 16:46
Me too.

Female forum or not the thread is about chocolate and I had to peek cause maybe you ladies are up to something in here...perhaps you have some info on some "new" chocolate that you don't want to share with the rest of us.

I'm still a "DOVE" fan myself.

that's my 2 cents.

mweinstone
09-18-2006, 18:44
actually girls and chocolate do kinda go together. but it does suck knowin they got chocolates over here and we cant have any. common attrol ,.. move the thread.!

Brrrb Oregon
09-18-2006, 18:47
actually girls and chocolate do kinda go together. but it does suck knowin they got chocolates over here and we cant have any. common attrol ,.. move the thread.!

yes. all the nice people should be invited. willy wonka would want it that way.

dixicritter
09-18-2006, 19:11
You're posting anyway so what's the diff? lol Just play nice is all.

StarLyte
09-18-2006, 19:37
This is funny - more male responses here than female ha ha ha.....

I absolutely love peanut M & Ms. They take longer to melt a little.

peanuts
09-18-2006, 21:17
Well I love chocolate, so when am b'pkng hellllllloooooooo chocolate( I am a diabetic so I take it easy when home).

TDale
09-18-2006, 21:23
It's got to be 60% - 80% cocoa to survive well in the warmer months. Chocolate is not a luxury. It's like good coffee, it has to be there.

TOW
09-18-2006, 21:24
I love snickers and mm's only when i am on the trail, and at least once a week i go to the candy store and get some truffles.............

Gaiter
09-21-2006, 18:00
3 Musketteers, I know they don't have that many calories comparied to majority of candy bars, but i like them, and when they start getting squashed they stay together pretty well. and my other fav chocloate source is milkyway midnight- love the dark chocolate but you got to eat in the first day or two the carmel in it will become messy. But a hot day and both of those will melt, m&ms are the best if you know it will be a hot day,
has anyone tried the peanut butter m&m's, do they melt????

hanna

Gaiter
09-21-2006, 18:04
oh and i carried hot chocolate w/ me and a little chilli powder to put in there, oooh thats sooo good, but i found that if i drank it too close to dark, i would wake up in the middle of the night needing to pee :( so i didn't drink it that often

hanna

Farr Away
09-21-2006, 21:41
I'm normally quite a choc-o-holic, but I've found I really don't have much taste for it on the trail. Very weird!

onicoe
09-22-2006, 00:52
sometimes. i prefer solid dark chocolate, nice and rich. i have an aversion to overtly sweet things. plus dark is healthier for you too.

River Runner
09-22-2006, 02:11
I watch my sugar/carbs, but I take sugar-free chocolate. Russell Stover pecan delights are great even when melted. Hershey's sugar free milk chocolate is good dipped in peanut butter - great pick me up. I make my own gorp with the Russell Stover tidbits (like m&m's) sometimes.

Ramble~On
09-22-2006, 04:26
Umm,,
Excuse me ladies.....sorry to crash your thread...
Just kinda visiting...er...umm,,,

So the Title of this thread is "Chocolate" and umm...well i can't help myself.
plus reading through this thread makes me eat chocolate and that's not a bad thing.

I do not watch my carbs, care less about my sugar intake and think calories are fuel to help me survive...so as long as I stay active and the chocolate doesn't settle anywhere it's okay with me....

last week I had something new to me which is made by Hershey's
Dark Chocolate with fruit and nuts mixed into it.... the wrapper said one bar was ? 4 servings or something like that.....I disagreed.

Okay so this one puts me up to ??? four cents ?

Farr Away
09-22-2006, 14:48
Umm,,
last week I had something new to me which is made by Hershey's
Dark Chocolate with fruit and nuts mixed into it.... the wrapper said one bar was ? 4 servings or something like that.....I disagreed.

I've had those, too. Absolutely wonderful!!

Tamarack
09-23-2006, 00:40
Boys; very sorry but I was thinking Chocolate and women just naturally go together its like trying to keep a metal bead from going to the magnet. I would move this thread into the general section but I dont know how. PM me if you know how.:D

>has anyone tried the peanut butter m&m's, do they melt????

I have tried they do melt in your mouth but its moreso the candy coating melts/wears off in your mouth and then the chocolate starts and by then the peanut butter inside is already melted so it squishes and then you get peanut butter out before the chocolate melts. Its good but I like the extra big(mega?) M&M's and the peanut M&M's. I like the dark chocolates but then they melt faster than regular chocolate. Also white chocolate takes a little bit longer to melt but is soo high in fat content and is thicker, not as creamy as regular chocolate.

Hot chocolate mixed with a little instant coffee and a few minimarshmellows ooohh yeah. hike out in pre-mixed baggies. Regular flavoured oatmeal with a little hot choc. mix yummy.

OK Now with all your responses I can justify bringing chocolate and I'll take a little of everything to try it out. ;)

Seeker I totaly understand what your wife does. I cant keep any chocolate in the house for more than 2 or 3 days before it is gone. Choc chip cookies and all. And when the grocery store has a sale on M&M's two large bags for the price of one. ohh man its heaven!! I try to stash it here there and everywhere, eventually they all get eatten in about a month. I forget where I stash them all.

Similar in topic does anyone know of the Nurses diet/Night shift diet? Cola, Coffee, Chips and Chocolate? Every night shift I absolutely have to have at least 3 of the 4 if not all 4.

dixicritter
09-23-2006, 08:21
I'll move it over for you. Since you mentioned it. ;)

greentick
09-23-2006, 09:05
Dark chocolate M&Ms do travel well in heat. I can only find them at wally-world in this area. I keep a small bag with those, cashews and dried cherries at hand.

Dark chocolate also goes well with sipped bourbon.:D

jlb2012
09-23-2006, 16:22
oh and i carried hot chocolate w/ me and a little chilli powder to put in there

I tried that the other day - interesting sensation but then I think I put a bit too much hot pepper in the hot chocolate - the heat from the hot drink really added to the spice heat.