PDA

View Full Version : Fuel level indicator strips for canisters

saimyoji
09-17-2006, 12:19
http://www.backcountryedge.com/products/brunton/gas_gauge.aspx?Affiliate=44

Anyone use these things? I just found out about them, thanks JustJeff, and was wondering if anyone has experience, reviews, comments..... Seems pretty cool, though you have to pour hot water on it...not sure if this is a good idea:

As the stove burns, pressure inside decreases, decreasing the temperature. You all know your canister gets cold as it burns. Pourning hot water on a cooled stove may cause structural problems as the canister wall rapidly cools, then heats up again. Perhaps only use the strip when you know you're low on fuel? But then if you know your low on fuel, you'd have a backup anyway, right? So what's the use of the strip.....rambling....

Footslogger
09-17-2006, 12:32
Interesting ...wonder how well they work in all temperatures ??

I use mostly alcohol these days but when I do use cannister fuel I use the "burn and scratch" method suggested by someone here at Whiteblaze a long time ago.

Each time I use the cannister I take my knife and scratch a line in the paint. I know from prior experience how many "burns" on average I get from the various sized cannisters so it's just a matter of counting lines. That way I know when it's time to have another cannister on stand-by.

I'll have to check out these new strips.

'Slogger

otterman
09-18-2006, 08:05
I haven't used these strips, but you could probably do the samething with your canister as I do with my propane tank at home. Simply pour some warm water over the tank (or canister). You'll see condensation on the side of the tank where the fuel is due to the difference in temperature. As I said, I haven't tried this on a canister but I don't know why it wouldn't work. I might just go home and try it tonight on a canister. They make similar strips for tanks, but I decided to go for the no cost solution.

Toolshed
09-18-2006, 14:12
One company - Maybe Giga, has canisters that come with these on them. I think the larger size can. I find them helpful but wouldn't pay extra for them. you can always weigh them full and empty on a small kitchen or postal scale and then have your end points, so that you can estimate remaining fuel when weighing a partially empty can.

Just Jeff
09-18-2006, 17:00
Pour the water on your cannister, not on the stove.

hikerjohnd
09-18-2006, 17:07
We had a similar product on our 20# tank for the gas grill when I was growing up. I do not remember it ever really working the way it was supposed to - seemed like a PITA to me. The canisters are so small - I agree with Boston - just shake it - you'll know how much you have in there.