PDA

View Full Version : SP GigaPower windscreen

saimyoji
09-17-2006, 12:26
Anyone use this? Seems heavy and clunky to me.

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm/SN1051

SGT Rock
09-17-2006, 12:31
I've not used that exact one, but one similar to it. They do increase fuel efficiency slightly and they nest with one of the Snow Peak pots - I think the 700 solo.

I made a similar one for the Coleman Exponent Ultralight stove, weighs less and works with the Evernew 0.9L other similar diameter pots.

---Edit---

Even with that, I cannot say for sure that the amount of fuel savings equal out with the extra couple ounces it adds.

SGT Rock
09-17-2006, 12:39
Here is a link to what it looks like. If you want to, I am sure you can build something very much like it for a snowpeak

http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1835&highlight=Coleman

Lanthar Mandragoran
09-17-2006, 17:33
Or chop up a Snowpeak Ti Bowl... Homemade Ti (Snowpeak) Windscreen (http://picasaweb.google.com/jdmitch/HomemadeTiSnowpeakWindscreen) ;)

Kerosene
09-19-2006, 11:59
I used the 2 oz. windscreen for my recent section hike. It does seem to help keep the flame stable, but I really didn't test it in any significant breeze (remarkably we had almost no wind through the White Mountains!).

I'm not convinced that it's worth the weight in any case.

flatrocks
09-19-2006, 12:31
I used it this year for 700 miles on the AT. It never really compared it to the stove without it, but it sure seemed like it made a big difference. There just isn't that much room for air to get through - like there is without it (when the entire flame is exposed from underneath). I was using a Ti pot that the windscreen, small fuel canister and stove fit into perfectly.

One nice thing as well - when I picked some ramps in TN, I was able to use the underside of the screen as a cutting board. Then the juice burned off when I cooked them, so I didn't have to clean the "cutting board."

johnny quest
09-19-2006, 16:31
I've not used that exact one, but one similar to it. They do increase fuel efficiency slightly and they nest with one of the Snow Peak pots - I think the 700 solo.

where did you read that, rock? i carry a 700cup and a gigapower but have not gotten the sp windscreen because i didnt see a convenient way to carry it. IF it does nest with the 700 i will change my mind.

SGT Rock
09-19-2006, 23:39
I saw that on the package and at SnowPeak's website.

Kerosene
09-21-2006, 08:25
The windscreen does not nest inside the Snow Peak 700 cup/pot as it is much too wide. I ended up placing it in a mesh bag underneath my 700 pot, with a 110g canister, aluminum foil, and GigaPower stove in the pot, held in place by the inverted 700 lid. I store the entire bag in my food bag.

Lanthar Mandragoran
09-21-2006, 15:01
The windscreen does not nest inside the Snow Peak 700 cup/pot as it is much too wide. I ended up placing it in a mesh bag underneath my 700 pot, with a 110g canister, aluminum foil, and GigaPower stove in the pot, held in place by the inverted 700 lid. I store the entire bag in my food bag.

That's what I always understood the 'nesting' to be... on the outside of the SP pots...

johnny quest
09-21-2006, 15:15
i cant find anything mentioned on the website about it nesting but i do see that the diameter of the windscreen is 4 and 5/8 inches. when i get home today i will measure my 700 and see if the cup will nest inside the windscreen. as an aside, there arent too many things im willing to nest inside my cup.

johnny quest
10-15-2006, 19:14
i decided to go ahead and get the sp windscreen and see what i thought of it. they didnt have it at rei in austin. (the boy genius that waited on me insisted that it didnt exist) so i ordered it off campmor. the 700 cup fits into it but i think its a stretch to say it "nests". after i post this i will put some pics i took on my gallery.

i would agree that you could do as well with a pie plate...except the pie plate wont hold up as well. but you can always eat more pie.

jasonklass
10-15-2006, 22:37
I have a SP gigapower and don't use a windscreen with it. I just find natural wind barriers or use things like my pack. With an alcohol stove, I always bring a windscreen but I'm not as concerned with it when I use butane.