PDA

View Full Version : Max Patch

ivanputski
09-17-2006, 12:41
I am going to be around Hot Springs at Thanksgiving. I was hoping to take the family on a day hike up to Max Patch, what might the weather be like that time of year?

mweinstone
09-17-2006, 13:38
death storms with sudden brillant blue sunshine and back to death storms thenn blue sunshine then death storms , blue and sunny, death and destruction, sunshine, death, nice, death, great weather, then deat storms and back to nice. so,.. basicly nice.

WILLIAM HAYES
09-17-2006, 15:57
the weather will be chilly but should be very nice .It is one of my favorite spots on the trail. you should have beautiful color at this time of the year.
Hillbilly

Brushy Sage
09-17-2006, 18:10
Usually nice, crisp, clear around that time of year. Lots of day visitors from "local" areas. Check the weather for Waynesville, NC and subtract a few degrees for elevation difference.

SGT Rock
09-17-2006, 22:40
death storms with sudden brillant blue sunshine and back to death storms thenn blue sunshine then death storms , blue and sunny, death and destruction, sunshine, death, nice, death, great weather, then deat storms and back to nice. so,.. basicly nice.

Hey, look up at the top of the page. This is the straight forward section. Think about it.

Rain Man
09-18-2006, 10:30
My wife and I sectioned from Standing Bear Farm hostel (just north of I-40 from Davenport Gap) to Hot Springs last Thanksgiving.

We had hoped to tent camp on Max Patch to watch a sunset and sunrise, but the wind was too much for us. The top was clear of snow, it was sunny and clear, but mighty powerful, gusty wind. My pack straps were trying to beat me in the face.

Just FYI, approaching from the south, there was so much snow on the steep ascent just before the lip to the top bald area, that we lost the trail for perhaps 100 yards or less. The steps up just disappeared under the snow and there are/were no posts with blazes, so we post-holed our way up. I'm told folks steal the wooden posts for firewood up there.

The views were great. I really enjoyed seeing the Smokies from there.

We went back at New Year's (drove up this time) with our three daughters and the wind was the same, but it was cold and fogged-in (couldn't see a thing this time) and the ground was covered in thin snow and all the trees and bushes (they are lower down on the mountain) were covered in rime ice.

Rain:sunMan