PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Poles

soad
09-17-2006, 12:53
We day hiked Katahdin last week, I now realize that my knees will never fully recover :rolleyes: . Do you guys have any insights into the best hiking poles to get? What should I look for in respects to quality vs. price? Thanks!

Lilred
09-17-2006, 13:54
Go with Leki poles. They have a lifetime guarantee. If anything goes wrong, they are replaced, free. At trail days, they put $70 dollars worth of parts in my friends poles, no charge. The quality and customer service is fantastic.

mweinstone
09-17-2006, 14:18
poles are silly. for little girly boys.but i might concider them as im old and decrepid and ugly and dumb and weird.

weary
09-17-2006, 15:41
We day hiked Katahdin last week, I now realize that my knees will never fully recover :rolleyes: . Do you guys have any insights into the best hiking poles to get? What should I look for in respects to quality vs. price? Thanks!
I find one pole is sufficient to protect both knees and balance. I found the pole I used on the AT at the bottom of Dunn Notch Falls in Maine. It was an alder sapling cut by a trail maintainer two years earlier. It weighs 9.5 ounces complete with a nice bouncy 70 cent crutch tip. It as yet has not required any repairs.

I did retire it a few years ago. I wanted something heavier for breaking dead branches while bushwhacking to plan new land trust trails near my home.

My new version has a couple of thousand miles on it, weighs around 10 ounces, has a 69 cent crutch tip, and a Komperdell cork tip, leather strap and imbedded compass. It also doubles as a monopod for my camera. Total cost about $12.

Weary

Peaks
09-17-2006, 16:15
poles are silly. for little girly boys.but i might concider them as im old and decrepid and ugly and dumb and weird.

Then there a lot of silly little girly boys on the trail. Most thru-hikers use them, even the ultra-lighters. Must be a good reason why.

Appalachian Tater
09-17-2006, 16:29
I used Lekis, but the $15.00 poles from Walmart seemed to last as long or longer and the people who had them seemed happy with them.

The customer service from Leki is not very helpful for thru-hikers except at Trail Days. The lady always asks where you'll be in ten days and that's where she mails you the part. Ten days is a long time without a pole when you're hiking, especially when it took a week to get to a phone in the first place. Also, if you leave a message on the voice-mail, they ignore it.

Tips aren't covered by the warranty, either. You can get around this for asking for a new bottom section, which will come with a tip. And when you get one part replaced, go ahead and ask for two--if it broke on one pole it won't be long before it breaks on the other one.

Some outfitters will fix them but frequently don't have the right parts, especially for shock absorbers.

Lone Wolf
09-17-2006, 16:37
Then there a lot of silly little girly boys on the trail. Most thru-hikers use them, even the ultra-lighters. Must be a good reason why.
Yeah. Marketing.

dloome
09-17-2006, 18:17
*sigh* Boy I'm tired of the pole argument. I might be slightly more impressed if someone came up with an anti-pole statement that equated to something more than "Poles are for the weak, I'm so tough I don't need poles 'cuz I'm so strong, you're weak if you use poles, gear companies have tricked everyone into using poles blah blah"

I've hiked with and without them. I hike considerably faster with them, as you can use your arms and upper body to propel yourself along in the same manner as a XC skier. It seems logical and more efficient to me to use as much of your body as possible to move yourself down the trail. They've also saved my butt on numerous occasions from falls and are very helpful for stability when fording. Poles can also save considerable weight when used as part of your shelter system. Even if you're not trying to go light and fast, I don't think anyone in their right mind would object to increased efficiency or relieving stress on their knees.

I'd definitely go with Leki's. They promptly replace stuff that breaks for no charge, enough said. I use the Makalu Ultralight's, no shocks, removed the baskets and straps. Clean, light and simple.

rickb
09-17-2006, 18:22
Well, there have been all sorts of studies that show you burn more callories when usineg poles.

Callories = work

More work = bad

Therefor, poles = bad

;)

dloome
09-17-2006, 19:24
I've heard you also burn tons of calories hiking vs. sitting on your couch and drooling so:

Hiking = bad
Doing nothing = good

Hm.

soad
09-17-2006, 20:25
Thanks for all your insight, I am fully prepared to be ridiculed on the trail for using the 'girly poles';) ;) . I love hiking, my knees disagree. Based on your advice, I'm going for a rather inexpensive Leki poles ( I would spring for more, but I really don't do that much hiking compared to thru-hikers)

thanks again!!!!

Rambler
09-17-2006, 20:56
On the recommendation and talking to several thru-hikers on the merits of poles, I know hike with them and find them very helpful. From an article in BackpackingLight:

"In 1986, Reinhold Messner became the first person to have climbed all of the world’s fourteen 8000 meter peaks - an amazing accomplishment. The fact that he’d climbed large portions of twelve of them with ski poles in hand changed the way we viewed poles in trekking applications; if a world class climber was using “trekking” poles, there must be some benefit!

It ends up that Messner had found advantages of trekking poles that apply directly to backpackers:

They reduce load on the legs, lessening knee pain and leg muscle fatigue
Poles can increase endurance and climbing power by incorporating upper body muscle groups
They add a margin of safety in technical or slippery terrain
Better balance is achieved
They disperse weight when traveling in soft terrain such as snow "

blackbishop351
09-17-2006, 23:22
I have knee problems, shoulder problems, less than great circulation, and fairly flat feet. I started using poles a couple of years ago and I'll never go back.

They take stress off my knees. They take stress off my arches. They keep my arms moving, which solves most of my shoulder problems and keeps the blood moving in my arms. Not to mention that my feet feel like I've walked about half the distance at the end of the day. I've also found quite a few "around camp" uses, including the newest one - fending off snack-crazy wild ponies.

I hiked the AT above Damascus yesterday and today. Ran into at least 30 other hikers. Maybe 3 of them DIDN'T carry poles. Just a little statistics.

As always, just my .02 :D

T-Dubs
09-18-2006, 20:03
I have knee problems, shoulder problems.... I started using poles a couple of years ago and I'll never go back. :D

I am going to invest in some poles for the above reasons....and add another 30 years of wear and tear on top of that. It seems like a small price to pay for some help in (maybe) avoiding hike-ending injuries.

Tom

saimyoji
09-18-2006, 20:21
Well, I may be joining the ranks of silly girly boys soon. The only question is, just how silly will you consider me to be if:

1. I'm already about 50 lbs overweight
2. My pack is about 30 lbs overweight
3. My shoes are like concrete blocks (way too stiff with way too little cushion)
4. I almost never get any exercise save for the occaisional weekend 12 mile hike
5. I don't learn from experience, so another $50 on gear is money well wasted. :-?

What's my point? There are many ways you can reduce the stress on your legs/knees/feet. Hiking poles may help you, but keep in mind that there are other things that are cheaper/free and good for you overall that you can do.

That said, I think I'll start with one WallyWorld pole and see how I like it. ;)

I still just cannot help myself. Is there a 12 step program for this: :banana

Lone Wolf
09-18-2006, 20:26
What is a "bad knee" anyway?

Topcat
09-18-2006, 20:29

its a knee that wont eat its vegetables or do its homework.....

saimyoji
09-18-2006, 20:34

When I was 12 the cartilage in my left knee was shattered in a game saving play at the plate (I was catching, the a-hole coming in from 3rd did a horrible Pete Rose impression). Healed and caught for another 5 years. When I was 17 I went off a bridge on a motorcycle and landed in a sewerage ditch (in Thailand). Shattered both knees and my left femur. Should have died. Now, several years later I have what I would call a "bad" left leg: knee acts up (hurt, loss of flexibility) and my quads give me hell (cramps, spasms, pain, loss of flexibility).

But with all that, its nothing compared to whats going on inside my head. :eek:

Moxie00
09-18-2006, 20:42
There are very few things that have completly changed the way people do things and make doing those things alot better and more pleasant to do. Two things that come to mind that completly changed an activity for the better are pull tabs on beer cans and hiking poles. The world is a better place for those two advancements in human activity.

Big Dawg
09-18-2006, 21:41
I am fully prepared to be ridiculed on the trail for using the 'girly poles';) ;) .

No need, and no you won't be ridiculed. You'll run into a lot of other people using them,,, and for good reason. They help in multiple ways!! A few snide remarks (like ones above) are easy to ignore. You'll notice that anyone usually bashing poles only seem to have a few "token responses". Whatever,,, like I said,, easy to ignore.

Enjoy the poles!! :D

BTW, great post Bleach

stranger
09-19-2006, 07:45
Most people use poles but probably don't know why, but once they start hiking they will realise the benefit of using them. They are a bit overpriced and marketing is the real winner here, but I feel poles make hiking easier, especially on the long uphill climbs when you can use the poles to pull yourself up the mountain after your legs get tired.

I'm partial to Leki, not Leki Sport, for many reasons, but I'm sure there are heaps of good poles out there. And before 1996-1997 barely anyone used them on the AT, so you don't need them to be happy.

speedy
09-19-2006, 08:44
I'm gonna repost what I said in another thread asking the same question to keep from typing it all again, but I hope this helps. :D speedy

I dunno about two cents, but here's my $96 on the issue. I will not go on a trip in the mountains without them. Period. They will save your energy on the uphills and save your knees on the way back down.

I've got a friend who I usually hike with. Back before either of us used poles, he was in much better shape than me and would always have to wait up on me (I was quite overweight at the time). In one trip's time, the person standing there waiting changed. I hadn't gotten any healthier and he hadn't gotten any slower. The only difference was the poles.

First, go here. (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/stix_pro_carbon_fiber_trekking_poles.html)

Now, go here. (http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/Lightrek-Trekking-Poles.html?id=nPLSSR6F:68.184.135.242) See, $96 doesn't seem so bad anymore. I have somewhere between $300-$400 in everything that I carry/wear on a trip, so these roughly take up 1/3 of my budget. If I had it to do all over again, I'd buy them again without even flinching. I've used cheaper ones and even sticks, but there is nothing I have found that compares to these.

If you aren't sure, I'd recomend getting a wal-mart pair and trying them out. Worst case, you're out like $20. When... err I mean If you like them and decide to move up to the lightreks, you can sell the wally world ones on here or give them to a friend. You're still only out $20.

Just my $96 :D speedy

Oh, and about that small but vocal community Amigi was talking about [that claims poles are a waste]. It's like the saying goes, "The squeakiest wheel is the one that should be thrown away and replaced."

uscgretired
09-19-2006, 09:11
Other benefits of hiking poles: Hold up your tent or tarp (dual purpose) - Whack an unwanted critter (4-legged or 2-legged) on the nose - Splint in case you break an arm or leg and numerous other uses. I love my Leki's.

weary
09-19-2006, 10:39
Well, there have been all sorts of studies that show you burn more callories when usineg poles.

Callories = work

More work = bad

Therefor, poles = bad

;)
Unless, of course, your sense of balance has deteriorated and a pole helps to keep you from falling off cliffs. Then a few extra calories consumed are the lesser of two evils.

Besides, let he with no calories to lose, discard the first pole.

Weary

Wood good; metal bad!

MAD777
09-19-2006, 13:05
Someone posted in this thread that poles were for the old and decrepit.
Well, I'm old and decrepit and those poles really make hiking more enjoyable.
Night and day difference.

I have Komperdell C3 carbon poles that are three piece, anti-shock, weight about 6 1/2 oz. each and couldn't be more pleased with them.

scope
09-19-2006, 13:41
I have the Walmart specials, and they seem to do the job just fine. A little tourna-grip (tennis racket grip wrap) works well for keeping your hands dry. Was very hard for me to justify spending 5-6 times more to get Lekis unless I was doing a thru, and even then, I really don't know what you get with them?!?

blackbishop351
09-19-2006, 16:55
Yeah I use the Wally World specials too - $20 for a pair. I've tried Lekis before, and aside from the weight, I don't see much of a difference. And for some reason the weight just doesn't bother me that much. Especially not compared to the benefit of being able to buy a LOT of gear with the money I save.

As always, just my .02 :D

slamajama
09-19-2006, 17:14
I'm gonna repost what I said in another thread asking the same question to keep from typing it all again, but I hope this helps. :D speedy
im hip to this, i can benchpress 300lbs but i have no ligaments in my left knee, im muscular thats y i can walk, so ill need these poles for my section hike

on a side note, cant find them in ny, have to try jersey walmart...any sugestions, i mean thats wat started this thread

Appalachian Tater
09-19-2006, 17:50
on a side note, cant find them in ny, have to try jersey walmart...any sugestions, i mean thats wat started this thread
If you can't find the poles, you can order one pole and a tent for $35:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4697882

Surely you know some kids who can play with the tent.

slamajama
09-19-2006, 19:53
kewl, tyty

speedy
09-19-2006, 23:47
slamajama, if you're going to spend $35 I'd check craig's list and ebay too. I've seen pairs of leki's go for that much on craig's list before. I'd also recomend getting two poles if possible. I've gotten by on one, but by the second or third day, descents kill my knee opposite the pole. Wow do I sometimes wish I had to cross state lines before seeing a wal-mart. :D speedy

Darwin again
09-20-2006, 23:45
I've got Pacer Poles, available through Brian Frankle at ULA Equipment in Logan, Utah. The grips are ergonomic, so you don't have to strap-hang like with Lekis. The strap can cause nerve damage.

The Pacer Poles are super comfortable. And I got lots of admiring comments from other hikers about them.

Link is here (http://www.ula-equipment.com/pacer_poles.htm).
http://www.ula-equipment.com/pacer_poles.htm

Darwin again
09-20-2006, 23:48
Sorry, looks like Brian's not handling the distribution any more. But there is a link to PacerPole USA on link above. Can order from there.

They're the only kind of pole I'd use. Got a ton of miles on mine, jsut replace the tips with Leki rubber tips as they wear out. No problemo.;)

saimyoji
09-21-2006, 00:04
http://www.pacerpole.com/pacerpole-user-guide-basic-guide_1.html

I've been looking for instructions on how to use hiking poles for a while. For those of you with experience: do these instructions pertain to other "ski-pole" type poles as well, or are they specific to pacers?

speedy
09-21-2006, 02:59
Sort of. The grip is a little different than pacers obviously. On level ground it's very similar to what that says. I do sometimes swing them in front a bit if I'm bored and want to change up the pace. On ascents, I tend to hold my poles with my fingers sort of cupped around the end of the pole with the pole angled more behind me so I can push my way up the mountain. On descents it's a similar grip as ascents only the poles go in front. For support, ideally it'd be your palm cupped around the pole, but if you trip or the pole gets stuck, this could hurt as there's nothing to give. If I do have my palm cupped on the top of the pole, it's very far forward to it'll slip off instead of jamming my elbow. Once you get out there, you'll get the hang of it really fast and won't even think about them til you get to camp and notice how much farther you've gone and less sore you are. :D speedy

jrnj5k
11-21-2008, 15:27
i've Heard You Also Burn Tons Of Calories Hiking Vs. Sitting On Your Couch And Drooling So:

Hiking = Bad
Doing Nothing = Good

Hm.

Hahahahhaha

Spogatz
11-21-2008, 16:05
I have poor circulation. When I don't use poles my hands begin to swell after a couple of mile. With the poles the action of gripping the poles and use of my arms keeps everything fine.

I like my hiking poles and wouldn't leave home without them.

Lyle
11-21-2008, 16:27
PacerPoles - truly innovative. Most comfortable and efficient pole on the market. Unique - the shape of the grip makes a tremendous improvement in all-day comfort. I agree with all the claims made on the website.

http://www.pacerpole.com/

Highly recommended!

Lyle
11-21-2008, 16:32
http://www.pacerpole.com/pacerpole-user-guide-basic-guide_1.html

I've been looking for instructions on how to use hiking poles for a while. For those of you with experience: do these instructions pertain to other "ski-pole" type poles as well, or are they specific to pacers?

I would guess that most of their tips are somewhat unique to PacerPoles due to how unique the grip is. You actually hold the pole from the top, not the side. and you push directly down on the pole, not against the strap. If you have other poles, try some of their suggestions, but if you want full effect, get PacerPoles - highly recommended.

garlic08
11-21-2008, 17:18
Good decision to go with the cheap ones. I paid a lot for carbon poles this year, worth it for a through hike but not for day hiking. If a cheap pole helps you like it helped me, fantastic. If you don't like it, you're not out much.

Blue Jay
11-21-2008, 23:16
Most people use poles but probably don't know why, but once they start hiking they will realise the benefit of using them. They are a bit overpriced and marketing is the real winner here

You are real close. People use poles because once you start using them you CANNOT stop. When you break your leg and you keep using the crutch after your leg heals you will have to keep using the crutch for the rest of your life. Poles keep "bad knees" bad. People who are dependent on poles (or drugs) like to get others addicted. Carrying extra weight on the ends of your arms cannot do anything to help your knees. Humans evolved biologically for a VERY long time to quite efficiently walk using legs, leki evolved in seconds to sell, its really that simple. :eek:

rafe
11-21-2008, 23:36
Hello, Blue Jay: My knees are fine. I ski bumps. I can do short turns on 200 cm Volkl GS skis. Given a choice, I hike with poles. Four points of support leaves less to chance than two. It's really that simple.

le loupe
11-21-2008, 23:49
I took a single $8.00 Coleman pole on a whim, along with a bunch of other things I probably ought not to have carried. I thought I try it out and see what it was like.

It was great- while I'm working on reducing a lot of other pack weight the pole is a permanent part of my gear now.

Not sure if I need two, however.

tom_alan
11-22-2008, 00:15
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/8/7/6/6/115-11_11_2008.jpg

I use Leki poles and I find they give me great support for my weak ankles. If you notice, I have shortened the poles in the above picture. Picture is taken at the summit of Greenhorn Mountain in Colorado (12,346ft). I shortened the poles so I could scramble straight up the southwest ridge (pictured below) easier. I also lengthen them while going down for better support. If you notice, just below the handle on the left, I have duct tape wrapped around the pole for quick access incase I start developing a blister. Call me a girlie man or call me what you will ~ I swear by them!

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/8/7/6/6/110-11_11_2008.jpg

Southwest ridge while climbing.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/8/7/6/6/104-11_11_2008.jpg

South west ridge on the right from about a mile away.

weary
11-22-2008, 00:35
I took a single $8.00 Coleman pole on a whim, along with a bunch of other things I probably ought not to have carried. I thought I try it out and see what it was like.

It was great- while I'm working on reducing a lot of other pack weight the pole is a permanent part of my gear now.

Not sure if I need two, however.
I find three legs are plenty.

Summit
11-22-2008, 08:25
You are real close. People use poles because once you start using them you CANNOT stop. When you break your leg and you keep using the crutch after your leg heals you will have to keep using the crutch for the rest of your life. Poles keep "bad knees" bad. People who are dependent on poles (or drugs) like to get others addicted. Carrying extra weight on the ends of your arms cannot do anything to help your knees. Humans evolved biologically for a VERY long time to quite efficiently walk using legs, leki evolved in seconds to sell, its really that simple.You are persistent with your bankrupt analogy aren't you? :( Most thru-hikers now-a-days use them, young and old alike, good knees and bad knees alike. Poles help keep good knees good and help make bad knees better.

Your 'addiction' to thinking that poles are addicting is rediculous. Stop trying to paint trekking pole users as people who aren't thinking properly. The benefits of trekking pole use if using the straps properly is phenominal. If you haven't experienced that it is because either A) you've never even tried trekking poles (likely), or B) you haven't used the straps properly, or C) you haven't adjusted the pole length properly.

To claim that some kind of dependence/addiction is involved is like saying air tanks for scuba divers creates a false dependence on air! Your claim is equally rediculous! :eek:

Yukon
11-22-2008, 08:37
Quoddy lent me his LEKI Super Makula's for my last hike so I could see if I liked hiking with poles, put it to you this way, I will no longer hike with out the poles! :)

Summit
11-22-2008, 08:44
Quoddy lent me his LEKI Super Makula's for my last hike so I could see if I liked hiking with poles, put it to you this way, I will no longer hike with out the poles! :)Another addict-victim of marketing, huh Blue Jay? :) :p

Blue Jay
11-22-2008, 09:28
Hello, Blue Jay: My knees are fine. I ski bumps. I can do short turns on 200 cm Volkl GS skis. Given a choice, I hike with poles. Four points of support leaves less to chance than two. It's really that simple.

Yes, there are many many reasons to SKI with poles.

Blue Jay
11-22-2008, 09:30
Another addict-victim of marketing, huh Blue Jay? :) :p

Correct, you are a very good salesman.

Summit
11-22-2008, 10:11
Correct, you are a very good salesman.Refuses to acknowledge the verdict, in spite of the overwhelming evidence. Are you a member of the Flat Earth Society by any chance? :D

Lyle
11-22-2008, 10:17
I've posted this link before, will add it once more.
From the NCTA website:

http://www.northcountrytrail.org/news/downhill1.htm

Personal belief:
Poles help tremendously uphill, downhill or level. Exceptionally useful for downhill.

atraildreamer
11-22-2008, 13:19
Yeah I use the Wally World specials too - $20 for a pair.

Now sold in a 2 pack for ~$14.95. :sun

Tenderheart
11-22-2008, 16:39
You will certainly be in the majority on the AT if you hike with poles. I thru hiked with Leki's but presently don't carry them. IMO, I go faster without poles. There are studies that show that they have no benefit. There are studies that show that they have great benefit. I simply grew tired of carrying them. My advice is to borrow a pair or buy a "cheap" pair and decide for yourself. I realize that I am in the minority on this issue.

litefoot 2000

le loupe
11-22-2008, 17:32
thats the main reason I bought the aformentioned Coleman pole- It was cheap and would let me try the idea out.

rafe
11-22-2008, 17:38
There are studies that show that they have no benefit. There are studies that show that they have great benefit.

Studies? Seriously? Where? A cite would be good.

tom_alan
11-22-2008, 20:24
Poles can also save considerable weight when used as part of your shelter system. Even if you're not trying to go light and fast, I don't think anyone in their right mind would object to increased efficiency or relieving stress on their knees.

I have a brother that only uses his trekking poles and a space blanket as a tent even in winter weather. He swears by the set-up because it saves weight.

For me it saves my ankles as well.

There are very few things that have completly changed the way people do things and make doing those things alot better and more pleasant to do. Two things that come to mind that completly changed an activity for the better are pull tabs on beer cans and hiking poles. The world is a better place for those two advancements in human activity.

Got to agree.

Most people use poles but probably don't know why, but once they start hiking they will realise the benefit of using them. They are a bit overpriced and marketing is the real winner here, but I feel poles make hiking easier, especially on the long uphill climbs when you can use the poles to pull yourself up the mountain after your legs get tired.

I'm partial to Leki, not Leki Sport, for many reasons, but I'm sure there are heaps of good poles out there. And before 1996-1997 barely anyone used them on the AT, so you don't need them to be happy.

After twisting my ankle on a hike at age 42 or 43 my doctor told me I needed to find another sport activity. He told me that by the shape my ankles were in that I would have to have them fused by the time I was 50. I went out and bought some hiking boots that had a very high support and some leki poles. Well I'm 50 now and my ankles are still weak but they are stronger than what they were because of the boots and trekking poles.

Other benefits of hiking poles: Hold up your tent or tarp (dual purpose) - Whack an unwanted critter (4-legged or 2-legged) on the nose - Splint in case you break an arm or leg and numerous other uses. I love my Leki's.

Can't agree more. Also double as ski poles in the high country so you can combine cross-country skiing with your hiking.

You are real close. People use poles because once you start using them you CANNOT stop. When you break your leg and you keep using the crutch after your leg heals you will have to keep using the crutch for the rest of your life. Poles keep "bad knees" bad. People who are dependent on poles (or drugs) like to get others addicted. Carrying extra weight on the ends of your arms cannot do anything to help your knees. Humans evolved biologically for a VERY long time to quite efficiently walk using legs, leki evolved in seconds to sell, its really that simple. :eek:

I guess that I have an addition than, but my doc thinks it's a good one.

Four points of support leaves less to chance than two. It's really that simple.

Can't agree more. My ankles are still weak and will turn or roll without warning ~ I can't count the number of times my trekking poles have saved me from ruining a great hike.

You are persistent with your bankrupt analogy aren't you? :( Most thru-hikers now-a-days use them, young and old alike, good knees and bad knees alike. Poles help keep good knees good and help make bad knees better.

Your 'addiction' to thinking that poles are addicting is rediculous. Stop trying to paint trekking pole users as people who aren't thinking properly. The benefits of trekking pole use if using the straps properly is phenominal. If you haven't experienced that it is because either A) you've never even tried trekking poles (likely), or B) you haven't used the straps properly, or C) you haven't adjusted the pole length properly.

To claim that some kind of dependence/addiction is involved is like saying air tanks for scuba divers creates a false dependence on air! Your claim is equally rediculous! :eek:

You go Summit. Lets not leave out helps make bad ankles better.

Lyle
11-22-2008, 22:37
Studies? Seriously? Where? A cite would be good.

Kinda thought the same thing.

After that post about the negative studies, I did a couple of quick Google searches for Trekking Pole studies. Found quite a few that found pronounced benefits, a few that found limited benefits, one that appeared neutral. I didn't find any that found them detrimental, harmful, or "addicting".:)

Would be interesting to see any real, serious studies that showed negative results. Probably wouldn't change my mind about their benefits, but would be interesting.

tom_alan
11-22-2008, 23:05
Kinda thought the same thing.

Would be interesting to see any real, serious studies that showed negative results. Probably wouldn't change my mind about their benefits, but would be interesting.

Couldn't agree with you more unless you want to count a blister I got on the palm of one of my hands because I was gripping the pole to tight for ten hours. Even than the positive by far out weighed the negative. I just wore a glove on that hand the next day and it healed in a day.

Blue Jay
11-23-2008, 07:42
Refuses to acknowledge the verdict, in spite of the overwhelming evidence. Are you a member of the Flat Earth Society by any chance? :D

The only evidence was made up in your head. I do find it amusing you, a creationist would accuse me of thinking the earth is flat. Actually not amusing, hysterical. Why, on earth would you bring that up in a discussion on poles.:banana

Blue Jay
11-23-2008, 07:52
After that post about the negative studies, I did a couple of quick Google searches for Trekking Pole studies. Found quite a few that found pronounced benefits, a few that found limited benefits, one that appeared neutral.

Who is going to do a study on hiking poles other than a hiking pole manufacturer? The ones on line are just more advertizing. Do your own study next time you're out. Ask every hiker with hiking poles, the vast majority will tell you they have bad knees. Ask every hiker without hiking poles, the vast majority will tell you their knees are fine. You could ask everyone who has ever broken their leg if they continue to use crutches. Slow down, less weight, less miles per day that's what will heal you knees, not large, long bandaids.

Summit
11-23-2008, 08:57
The only evidence was made up in your head. I do find it amusing you, a creationist would accuse me of thinking the earth is flat. Actually not amusing, hysterical. Why, on earth would you bring that up in a discussion on poles.:bananaOverwhelming evidence that trekking poles are beneficial compares to overwhelming evidence that the earth is not flat, yet there is a Flat Earth Society and thus an "Anti-trekking Pole Society' (with at least one member). Flat earth / round earth has nothing to do with a 'creationist' view. There, I spelled it out for you! :p

I don't really need online studies to convince me that trekking poles are beneficial. I know how my legs, knees, and feet feel at the end of a day's hike, or the end of a week-long hike, using poles, vs. doing the same without them. And I don't care how much, for whatever reason, you want to put them down and belittle people who use them (calling us naive, stupid victims of marketing). I will continue to use them and reap the benefits.

BTW, you never have answered the question I've asked numerous times . . . have you ever seriously given them a try? Not just puttering around with them in an outfitter store. Have you done a 10+ mile day with good quality poles with good straps adjusted properly and a 25+ pound pack? Reason I ask is I do recall them feeling awkward and silly when I first started out. It took a few miles for me to begin to appreciate them.

Lyle
11-23-2008, 09:32
Can't argue with a closed mind.

mudcap
11-23-2008, 10:12
You nailed that one on the head.

Blue Jay
11-23-2008, 20:19

It's kind of like trying to teach a pig to sing, but I don't mind wasting my time or irritating cliches.

I used poles for over 1000 of my first 2000 miles. I wanted to mail them home before I got out of Georgia, when I found out everyone with poles had knee pain. My pack rarely went below 40 pounds and still does not. I also wore heavy leather boots, another insane idea that has since gone out of style due to lack of advertizing. My knees never hurt so I was very lucky not to have the crutches do permanent harm. Believe me I know you don't want to believe you have permanently hurt your own knees. I could have done so and would not want to believe it either. There for the grace of god limp I.

Blue Jay
11-23-2008, 20:30
It does not get much attention in this country, however race walking is quite popular around the world. A woman who lives near me was a NYS champion years ago and has competed around the US and even in South America. I asked her how many people use hiking poles. She just laughed and I could not convince her I was not joking. If there were any advantage or injury prevention as many racers are in their 60s and 70s, you would assume at least one walker would use poles. She told me she has never seen it happen. Go look at race walking on the web for yourself, sorry no poles. They do use them in pole vaulting.:eek:

Lone Wolf
11-23-2008, 20:34
poles are marketing bs. but tons of suckers buy them

tom_alan
11-23-2008, 20:50
Now sold in a 2 pack for ~$14.95. :sun

Yep ~ was in wally world today and the trekking poles were right next to the coleman fuel that I needed. Sure enough $14.95 for a pair. They are a little heavy but worked just like my Leki's. If you're not sure if you will like them or not, it seems like a small price to pay to find out.

Summit
11-23-2008, 20:58
BJ, regarding your post #65 I have no problem whatsoever with you taking the position of 'poles ain't for me.' Why don't you just leave it at that? Why do you feel compelled to belittle people who do use, like, and benefit from them, by calling us stupid marketing victims? You insult your own intelligence in doing so.

Regarding post #66, I see no correlation between race walkig and backpacking. Trekking poles are not designed or conducive for speed walking, but specifically for backpacking / day hiking. Unnecessary diversion.

Blissful
11-23-2008, 21:08
This sucker was glad to have poles....I made it all the way with them.

Skipper loves his.

Paul Bunyan hates them with a passion. Except he likes his huge mongo club.

Use what you want.

twoshoes06
11-23-2008, 21:17
Listen.. I was one of those that started out with the poles are for wussies mentality and about 200 miles in I finally got me a pair. It, IMO, was the best decision on I made on the AT (it was between those or buying Crocs).

I bought the cheapest Black Diamond because I believed that "springs" and "shocks" were just a selling method (which I still believe but that is another post). They lasted the whole trip, and when I finished the trail, I wrote them to tell them how wonderful the poles were and they sent me a brand new ($150) pair. Now, that is customer service.

So, in short. Yes, get poles and don't listen to the naysayers.

weary
11-23-2008, 22:10
The basic laws of physics. The basic science behind the ultralight movement, says the more you carry, the more energy you expend. Carrying poles that have weight, increases your overall energy expenditure.

Now poles may switch some energy needs to parts of the body that are underutilized, and thus make you feel better when hiking with poles. But that has nothing to do with the energy required to cover a specific distance. Poles require more energy. It truly is not subject to debate.

I carry a single walking stick whenever I go into the woods these days -- or even while walking up my steep driveway to pick up my newspapers or the mail -- because I'm taking medicines that upset my sense of balance.

A walking stick keeps me from falling. So far, I find one is sufficient.

Weary

ChinMusic
11-23-2008, 22:20
People use poles because once you start using them you CANNOT stop. When you break your leg and you keep using the crutch after your leg heals you will have to keep using the crutch for the rest of your life. Poles keep "bad knees" bad. People who are dependent on poles (or drugs) like to get others addicted. Carrying extra weight on the ends of your arms cannot do anything to help your knees. Humans evolved biologically for a VERY long time to quite efficiently walk using legs, leki evolved in seconds to sell, its really that simple. :eek:
Your same failed line of "logic" could be used to poo-poo the use of shoes:

People use shoes because once you start using them you CANNOT stop. When you break your leg and you keep using the crutch after your leg heals you will have to keep using the crutch for the rest of your life. Shoes keep "bad feet" bad. People who are dependent on shoes (or drugs) like to get others addicted. Carrying extra weight on the ends of your legs cannot do anything to help your feet. Humans evolved biologically for a VERY long time to quite efficiently walk using bare feet, Keen evolved in seconds to sell, its really that simple. :eek:

Alligator
11-23-2008, 23:44
Quit the personal attacks please.

Summit
11-24-2008, 12:53
Guess that about wraps up this thread . . . if you haven't tried trekking poles, try them. If you like trekking poles, use them. If you don't like trekking poles, don't use them. Which ever side of the coin you fall on, respect other's choices.

Yukon
11-24-2008, 13:12
if you haven't tried trekking poles, try them. If you like trekking poles, use them. If you don't like trekking poles, don't use them. Which ever side of the coin you fall on, respect other's choices.

Well put...

Alligator
11-24-2008, 13:22
Actually this was the OP's question, not the rest of the stuff you folks were arguing about.

Summit
11-24-2008, 13:43
Actually this was the OP's question, not the rest of the stuff you folks were arguing about.Thank you Blue Jay for the diversion. :) Hopefully what was meaningfully discussed was useful to the originator of the thread. :)

Spogatz
11-24-2008, 13:46
I call them handy tent poles....

Alligator
11-24-2008, 13:47
Thank you Blue Jay for the diversion. :) Hopefully what was meaningfully discussed was useful to the originator of the thread. :)You are similarly at fault. It takes two keep it going. You seem to think that once someone else starts, that you are free to jump in without culpability. If you'd like to discuss that further PM me, as I don't want any more clutter here.

Blue Jay
11-24-2008, 13:52
Your same failed line of "logic" could be used to poo-poo the use of shoes:

Very good and quite correct with only two problems. One, it is very hard to condition your feet enough to not damage them while hiking. A few have hiked barefoot, but it's a hard skill to master. Two, it's hard to keep your feet warm in cold weather without shoes. If you are going to use "logic" you must think it thru.

Alligator
11-24-2008, 13:58
The OP had a specific question here. If you folks need to keep arguing this, start a new thread.

Gumbi
11-24-2008, 14:30

I don't have a ton of experience with poles, but I decided to buy a pair of the Walmart Swissgear poles. I am still undecided as to whether I really like them or not. (Maybe I am not using them correctly) I can definitely understand those who like them for their knees and ankles, but for me, the only reason I like them is because they help me pace myself. They slow me down and keep me from expending too much energy too early in the day. (They also really help me pull myself up hills!!!)

I personally would avoid the ultra light carbon fiber poles because to me, they feel like they would break too easily. I like something that feels solid, hence the walmart poles, which also fit my budget (or lack thereof) very well.

Johnny Thunder
11-24-2008, 14:38
I broke two sets of the Walmart Swiss Gears. On the other hand, I saw three pairs of $50 Campmor (Komperdell) poles last the whole hike. Also, the Leki carbons break when "pinched". So if you're hiking on uneven terrain or through boulders be careful with your placement.

jersey joe
11-24-2008, 15:08
Why not grab a couple sticks from the woods and use them as hiking sticks? That's what I did on my thru. Can't beat the quality for the price!

ChinMusic
11-24-2008, 15:12
If you are considering incorporating you hiking poles in with your tent (many tents are designed to use trekking poles), make sure you choose the adjustable types.

Lekis are the most popular but the Diamonds are the quickest and easiest to adjust. I have both.

Don't believe the BS about your knees not getting strong if you use poles. That is simply total BS. Your legs will get PLENTY of stimulus while hiking. What the poles MAINLY do is help protect you from falling and help protect from destructive pressures on you knees akin to spraining your ankle.