PDA

View Full Version : jetboil vs pocket rocket kettle combo

MattC
09-17-2006, 19:28
iv'e heard mixed reviews about the jet boil, but its also cheaper then the PR combo. wouldnt be used for a thru hike, just weeklong trips.

adh24
09-18-2006, 15:05
I have a jet boil. Just recently bought it but my buddy sold me on it. For weekend trips I think it's great. I like how it all fits together. It's a nice package. The pocket rocket does seem smaller not sure what the weight comparisons are on it. A quick visit to REI.com can answer those questions. The one thing that I didn't like about Pocket rocket is that you had to use matches and/or a lighter to ignite it. The Jet Boil has a built in igniter which is nice cause I always have bad luck with lighters breaking.

Heater
09-18-2006, 16:26
iv'e heard mixed reviews about the jet boil, but its also cheaper then the PR combo. wouldnt be used for a thru hike, just weeklong trips.

I have an alcohol setup, white gas setup (Simmerlight) and a pocket rocket.

Alcohol is best for Weight when you count in fuel but the PR is best (for me) because of convenience and versatility. I don't see how it gets easier except for piezo lighting but that's no biggie to me.

The pocket rocket weighs 3 oz. My pot 1.3 litre with frypan lid weighs about 8 oz. 8 1/8 to be exact. This is what I go with. It is perfect for me.

I also have a 2 litre pot w/ frypan that weighs about 10 1/8 oz so with the PR it would be 13 1/8.

SGT Rock
09-18-2006, 16:29
Well lets see. Looking at the MSR site and the Jetboil info I got this:

JetBoil:
Price for the set: $79.95 - 1L capacity
Stove 6.0 ounces
Lower burner cup protector 0.9 ounces
Cup and cozy 7.4 ounces
Lid 1.1 ounces
Fuel Canister 6.8 ounces
Total: 22.2 ounces.
(data from http://www.backpackgeartest.org/rev...itial%20Report/)

MSR Pocket Rocket/Titan Kettle combo:
Price for set: $79.95 - .85L capacity
Extra costs: Lighter, bandanna, and Cozy. Estimated extra cost - $10.00
Stove(without plastic box): 3.1 ounces (data from BPL)
Pot (with lid included): 4.2 ounces
Fuel Canister(4 ounce MSR fuel canister): 8 ounces
AGG pot Cozy (since the MSR does not include one and this if you decide you want one); 1.6
Scripto lighter (since the kit does not have an igniter): 0.6 ounces
Bandanna for pot grabber: 1.0 ounces
Total Weight: 18.4 ounces
(data from various sources)

Price: based on this the MSR system will cost about $10 more, but then again you probably already have the bandanna and lighter. So that cuts it down to $8 more.

Weight: the MSR comes in at about 1/4 pound less if you compute the bandanna and lighter as part of the system. But if you were going to carry them anyway, then your actual weight difference is over 6 ounces ounces less (16.8 ounces to 22.2 ounces)

Fuel efficiency:The MSR should get about 7.2 liters (BPL data) per 4 ounce fuel container under normal conditions. The Jetboil will get about 12 liters from one JetBoil canister per their own recommendations (8.5 per BPL at the same conditions as the above test for the MSR). So you are going to have to plan re-supply around that.

So for slightly better price and slightly better fuel efficiency the JetBoil wins. For weight the MSR wins.

But there are other stoves and pots out there. You don't need to just pick from these two.

Heater
09-18-2006, 16:34
I have an alcohol setup, white gas setup (Simmerlight) and a pocket rocket.

Alcohol is best for Weight when you count in fuel but the PR is best (for me) because of convenience and versatility. I don't see how it gets easier except for piezo lighting but that's no biggie to me.

The pocket rocket weighs 3 oz. My pot 1.3 litre with frypan lid weighs about 8 oz. 8 1/8 to be exact. This is what I go with. It is perfect for me.

I also have a 2 litre pot w/ frypan that weighs about 10 1/8 oz so with the PR it would be 13 1/8.

Also the jetboil group cooking system is only 1.5 litres and weighs 19 oz.
You could use the 2 litre setup above, have 1/2 litre more volume and have a frypan and still save 6 oz.

blackbishop351
09-18-2006, 19:02
If you're concerned about the piezo ignition, Primus makes the Micron; basically a Pocket Rocket, but (IMHO) a little nicer. With piezo. Also a little cheaper, if memory serves without looking them up. I've been using one for a few years now.