PDA

View Full Version : First real solo hiking/camping experience.

Earl Grey
09-17-2006, 23:46
Dont want to repost everything here so ill point you to my website.

http://www.mooncube.org/2006/09/17/morrow-mountain-field-test/

blackbishop351
09-18-2006, 01:39
Have you hiked the Uwharrie Trail yet? Let me know if you want to. It's a medium-grade one-nighter or a nice leisurly two-nighter. Very nice through there when it's cool out.

SGT Rock
09-18-2006, 02:33
Looks like a great hike. Super picture taking.

Have you started your AAR yet?

Earl Grey
09-18-2006, 09:08
Have you hiked the Uwharrie Trail yet? Let me know if you want to. It's a medium-grade one-nighter or a nice leisurly two-nighter. Very nice through there when it's cool out.

Havent been there but thats on my todo list. When does hunting start there and is hunting allowed near the trail?

AAR? Im not sure what that is. :(

Earl Grey
09-18-2006, 09:09
Woops I meant to quote SGT Rock and ask what the AAR was.

SGT Rock
09-18-2006, 09:14
An AAR is an After Action Review.

After a hike, especially when trying new gear and techniques, I like to do one.

Basic parts of an AAR:

What was supposed to happen?
What actually happened?
What went right?
What went wrong?
What can be done differently next time to make it better?

So you can use that about any piece of gear, and about planning, menu, transportation, etc.

Helps to analyze where you got the best bang for your buck and where your system is not perfect yet. Since this is your first solo and you are working out new gear (from what I gather from your posts) I figure you are probably going to be needing to look at all that.

Good luck!

blackbishop351
09-18-2006, 10:56
Havent been there but thats on my todo list. When does hunting start there and is hunting allowed near the trail?

I looked at the UNF website, then at a link they posted for hunting info, but didn't see an obvious place to find out about the seasons. I've been there several times in the fall/winter though, and never had a problem with hunters. I never really thought about it being an issue, I guess, so maybe I'm just lucky :D

AAR? Im not sure what that is.

Don't worry, the military has more acronyms than hikers do! :D

Earl Grey
09-20-2006, 02:26
I looked at the UNF website, then at a link they posted for hunting info, but didn't see an obvious place to find out about the seasons. I've been there several times in the fall/winter though, and never had a problem with hunters. I never really thought about it being an issue, I guess, so maybe I'm just lucky :D

Don't worry, the military has more acronyms than hikers do! :D

I found this.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg04_HuntingTrapping/seasons0607.pdf

And it seems like you dont have to worry about hunters with guns until Nov. 11 for deer which is what most people go after.