PDA

View Full Version : beer poets poem

RITBlake
09-17-2006, 23:59
anyone know where I can find the text version of beer poets 'rainy day poem' online?

Footslogger
09-18-2006, 08:43
We've got it. We were there in Monson (September 2001) when he read it out loud and got a "signed copy". Pretty sure my wife has it hanging on the door to her office. Not sure if we haved an electronic copy of it though. I'll get her to bring it home where I can scan a copy.

'Slogger

Grampie
09-18-2006, 22:06
Send me your E-mail address and I'll send you the poem.:sun

RITBlake
09-18-2006, 22:30
Grampie, email sent.

If you don't know what Beer Poets poem is, you can watch a video of him reading it at the tail end of his thru hike. Great video, great poem.

Bottom right hand corner of this page and click the beer poet link:
http://www.cirquevideo.com/Trekpage.html

TOW
09-19-2006, 09:45
Send me your E-mail address and I'll send you the poem.:sunhey i want that poem, i hung out with beer poet for awhile back in '01.................

veteran
09-19-2006, 11:20
anyone know where I can find the text version of beer poets 'rainy day poem' online?

Here you go....

http://www.readingonline.org/newliteracies/rush/poem.html

Footslogger
09-19-2006, 11:42
Here you go....

http://www.readingonline.org/newliteracies/rush/poem.html
===================================

That's my wife's website (Leslie Rush). She didn't bring the poem home last night for me to copy and send out so this is the next best thing. I forgot that she had uploaded it to that site.

'Slogger

lindy
09-19-2006, 11:46
that was awesome :) thanks for sharing!

K0OPG
09-20-2006, 12:05
Read it to my wife (i am planning for nest year) and she said "not only no...but hell no...I'm not setting a foot on the trail" :mad:

I guess I'll be hiking by myself next year...ya think?

Only for the chosen few I guess.:banana

Darwin again
09-20-2006, 23:33
That's excellent. The video is great, too. Thanks!:D

TOW
09-21-2006, 20:17

That's my wife's website (Leslie Rush). She didn't bring the poem home last night for me to copy and send out so this is the next best thing. I forgot that she had uploaded it to that site.

'Sloggerthat is an awesome site, i'm going to get on there and do some more reading.............

Footslogger
09-21-2006, 21:21
that is an awesome site, i'm going to get on there and do some more reading.............
=========================

I'll pass it on to my wife (BadAss Turtle - AT 2001). She'll be glad to hear that her work is getting some attention. When she hiked the trail to gather data for her dissertation research it was not considered "Main Stream". Now, 5 years later, many people are becoming interested in her work.

Hard for me to be totally objective but I knew that she was just a little ahead of her time back in 2001 when she proposed the idea of hiking the trail to her doctoral committee.

As dissertations go, hers is no exception ...in other words the majority of it is pretty boring. But she'd be the first to tell you that the chapter dealing with hiker interviews and their literacy practices was the hilight of her PhD research.

'Slogger

freefall
09-21-2006, 21:37
Read it to my wife (i am planning for nest year) and she said "not only no...but hell no...I'm not setting a foot on the trail" :mad:

I guess I'll be hiking by myself next year...ya think?

Only for the chosen few I guess.:banana
You can't tell just by looking who is born to hike and who is not! It ain't for everyone (thank god!).

ed bell
09-21-2006, 21:45
I really liked the stream of conscience style of it. Having a polar opposite "sunny day poem" to go with it would be a nice touch IMHO. Nice piece of work though.:sun

speedy
09-21-2006, 21:56
Yep, that poem just about sums it up.

'Slogger

I spent the last 10 mins scanning through the main text of her paper. Very interesting stuff. Maybe I'm nuts, but I love reading anything concerning better understanding communication and education. Until recently, it seems the study of these things was practically nil. I'm not sure what I'll be writing mine on in a few years, but it's papers like this that give me hope for writing something better than the usual stuff that ends up in the great academic landfill. I'm going on a trip this weekend. This will provide some good reading on the way. Tell her thanks. :D speedy

Footslogger
09-21-2006, 22:10
This will provide some good reading on the way. Tell her thanks. :D speedy
========================================

Will do !! ...and she'll sincerely appreciate it. It was a lonely process at times for her, especially given that there was very little understanding and acceptance for the work in her field at the time. Since then, several researchers have contacted her and asked permission to use/quote her work in studies of their own.

'Slogger