PDA

View Full Version : More WhiteBlaze for dummies, Avitar pic beside your name on posts.

Tamarack
09-18-2006, 04:15
Hello,

Fairly new here and I like how some people have really neat pictures beside thier name when they post. Like folicking dinosaur has a dino, sly has the keep on truck'n etc. but when I poke around in my personal settings, all I get to pick from is the defalt ones. I do like the hiking girl but so do alot of others and I'd just like to be different. How do I go about getting a personalized picture? Was it an option a way long time ago, and now its no longer an option?

Thanks
Tamarack

SGT Rock
09-18-2006, 04:35
First off, let me welcome you again to WhiteBlaze. As you may or may not know, WhiteBlaze is a non-profit thing run by a couple of guys that have full time+ jobs. Keeping the site financed as it grew over the years has been a challenge. What could once run on a cheap server now has a dedicated server to run the bandwidth and other maintenance costs for software.

Back to your question - The standard settings here do not allow you to edit posts or have custom avatars. It was a system set up a long time ago to prevent certain problems we had with users about 2 or 3 years ago. Trolls were using these things to create chaos here.

Recently we upgraded permissions for users that contribute to the support of the site and gave them the ability to put up custom avatars, have some edit functions, and a few other things here and there. We figured people that were supporting the site ought to be trusted with this stuff since they also have put in effort to keep it going. Seems they would have enough pride and responsibility in the community to at like adults.

So if you want to put up an avatar, all that is normally required is you are a financial supporter of WhiteBlaze. Think of it like an NPR perk during a pledge drive without the annoying pledge drive.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=atdatabase

StarLyte
09-18-2006, 06:18
Hello Tamarack-welcome!

Come to a hiker event.

Tamarack
09-18-2006, 09:15
Thank you Rock for the quick reply. Now that makes sence.

StarLyte I think I will go to the Gathering. I just have to get the time off work to go. :)

Toolshed
09-18-2006, 14:10
....So if you want to put up an avatar, all that is normally required is you are a financial supporter of WhiteBlaze. Think of it like an NPR perk during a pledge drive without the annoying pledge drive.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=atdatabase

Well Put Top!
Now if only you had click N' Clack !!!! :sun

SGT Rock
09-18-2006, 14:13
We do have Warren and Jack as regular posters. That would be a hoot if they got together and have such a show

Skidsteer
09-18-2006, 18:00
We do have Warren and Jack as regular posters. That would be a hoot if they got together and have such a show

Talk about a can't miss fundraiser for WB!

I'd pay Big money to see that. :D