PDA

View Full Version : Perfect job for thru-hikers in the White Mountains

Al Sochard
09-18-2006, 12:00
Ever wanted to live on or near the AT?

The RMC (Randolph Mountain Club) cabins provide a low cost alternative to the AMC Huts on the side of Mt Adams in the White Mountains of NH. Just 1 mile off of the AT - We staff then year round and have two openings for our winter season.

Candidates should have winter hiking experience, and be prepared for a life at treeline in winter - position is from November to March 7 days on/7 days off

For more information check out our website: http://www.randolphmountainclub.org/ (http://www.randolphmountainclub.org/)
and fill out an application at:
http://www.randolphmountainclub.org/mountainjobs/caretaker.html (http://www.randolphmountainclub.org/mountainjobs/caretaker.html)

Al Sochard (AT 80)
RMC Camps Chair
603-466-2273
[email protected] ([email protected])

neighbor dave
09-21-2006, 16:08
:-? mmmmmmm............ now you got me thinkin'!! sure is beautiful up there. i wonder what chickety would say.
hikin' skiin' an' i'm gittin' paid fer it????
heard they got a new bunkhouse down low for the 7 days off!
and if al's the boss?? almost too good to be true!
is there a hottub close by??:sun
r.m.c. got it goin' on for sure! :sun

TJ aka Teej
09-21-2006, 18:10
position is from November to March 7 days on/7 days off
Man, it sounds tempting, but the link led me to www.You'llSleepOnTheCouchForeverIfYouDo.com (http://www.You'llSleepOnTheCouchForeverIfYouDo.com)
:D

rickb
09-21-2006, 19:30
You wouldn't be "Appalachian Al" by any chance would you?

If so, thanks.

neighbor dave
09-24-2006, 07:30
yep,
it's apalachian al alright. still hikin' and runnin' ultras!!:D

rickb
09-24-2006, 09:15
Appalachian Al took me into Warren, NH in August 1983. And back to the trail too, I think.

Thanks again, Applachian Al.

camper10469
09-24-2006, 10:59
I just checked out the pay, $50/day, is less than a Mexican day laborer makes.

neighbor dave
09-24-2006, 15:23
:-? keep the scratchbacks in NYC.:p
this is mountain livin'.:sun
no smog,no noise,no hussle and bussle of the rat race.
quality of livin' is at the top of the scale.

MOWGLI
09-24-2006, 15:27

Yeah, but your "office" is better than the best Executive Suite. It's all about priorites. For someone looking to break into the world of non-profits, or do something completely different - this is a great opportunity.

If you're looking to pay off the note on the Lincoln Navigator or the mortgage on the 3 bedroom house in the 'Burbs, this obviously isn't a job for you.

neighbor dave
09-24-2006, 15:31
Yeah, but your "office" is better than the best Executive Suite. It's all about priorites. For someone looking to break into the world of non-profits, or do something completely different - this is a great opportunity.
:-? yep! and no scratchbacks neither!
it's a different world all together, mountain culture.:sun

camper10469
09-24-2006, 18:29
Caretaking consists of: 7 days on 7 days off, no medical coverage, no benifits..........
- Welcoming and assisting guests
- Collecting overnight fees
- Routine camp maintenance / cleaning
- Maintaining the operation of the RMC's composting toilets
- Nightly inspections of two other backcountry facilities (The Perch and Log Cabin)
- Packing up supplies / construction materials
- Some light trail work
- Basic repairs and other miscellaneous projects

Sounds like a real prestigious job cleaning dem composteers, AND 2 other huts. Gee, that's better than "scratchback" labor and you don't get to go home, you aren't even making minimum wadge. Those "scratchbacks" make $150/day, CEO wadges in comparrison. So what do you classify yourself as making 1/3 the wadge of a "scatchback?" You're really selling yourself short farm boy, yet you have the nerve to refer to hard working people as Scratchbacks?

"For someone looking to break into the world of non-profits, or do something completely different - this is a great opportunity.... it's a different world all together, mountain culture".

Bereaking into non-profits?... go on welfare, that's non-profit, it's also something really different and an oportunity to be poor, a real life learning oportunity. I wurc fa food o $50/day.

"it's a different world all together, mountain culture."

Yah, I saw Deliverance.

neighbor dave
09-24-2006, 19:24
Caretaking consists of: 7 days on 7 days off, no medical coverage, no benifits..........

- Welcoming and assisting guests
- Collecting overnight fees
- Routine camp maintenance / cleaning
- Maintaining the operation of the RMC's composting toilets
- Nightly inspections of two other backcountry facilities (The Perch and Log Cabin)
- Packing up supplies / construction materials
- Some light trail work
- Basic repairs and other miscellaneous projects

Sounds like a real prestigious job cleaning dem composteers, AND 2 other huts. Gee, that's better than "scratchback" labor and you don't get to go home, you aren't even making minimum wadge. Those "scratchbacks" make $150/day, CEO wadges in comparrison. So what do you classify yourself as making 1/3 the wadge of a "scatchback?" You're really selling yourself short farm boy, yet you have the nerve to refer to hard working people as Scratchbacks?

"For someone looking to break into the world of non-profits, or do something completely different - this is a great opportunity.... it's a different world all together, mountain culture".

Bereaking into non-profits?... go on welfare, that's non-profit, it's also something really different and an oportunity to be poor, a real life learning oportunity. I wurc fa food o $50/day.

"it's a different world all together, mountain culture."

Yah, I saw Deliverance.

:-? don't go gittin' yer g-string in a bunch city boy.
ain't no place up here fer dem "sick birds" (i.e.) ill eagles, A.K.A. scratchbacks. you see they used ta be "wetbacks" cause dem sick birds had ta swimhere, but now that they're sneakin' under the fence we call'em scracthbacks, an' there ain't no place for them 'round cher!!
as for the job,you'll never unnerstand so there ain't no use tryin' to convince ya to give up the city life! have fun down there, O.K.??:welcome :jump

MOWGLI
09-24-2006, 19:27

Camper, do me a favor. Please don't mix my quotes with others. or alter my quotes, or hybridize them. If you want to quote me verbatim - then fine.

My point was valid. Still is in fact. Money isn't everything for everybody. The chance to live in the White Mountains for a winter is something lots of folks dream of - while they remain chained to their desks. I know. That was me before I found the bolt cutters.

If you aren't interested in the opportunity, then pass it by. Simple - no?