PDA

View Full Version : My First Pack

hayes
09-18-2006, 16:06
So I'm a new Hiker. Me and my girlfriend started doing day hikes this year. I want to start doing 2-3 day hikes, but someday do a thur hike. So my question is what size pack should I be looking for? I see alot of people giving the advise to buy your other gear first. Oh also my girl will have a pack also so i wont have to carry everything. I know I should have more info on here so you could help but I'm not sure what else to put.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Jake

Bloodroot
09-18-2006, 16:10
So I'm a new Hiker. Me and my girlfriend started doing day hikes this year. I want to start doing 2-3 day hikes, but someday do a thur hike. So my question is what size pack should I be looking for? I see alot of people giving the advise to buy your other gear first. Oh also my girl will have a pack also so i wont have to carry everything. I know I should have more info on here so you could help but I'm not sure what else to put.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Jake

I recommend a pack with moderate volume...around 3700-3800cu.in....truthfully it also depends on what goes in it as well

chicote
09-19-2006, 08:55
Hayes,

Your best bet is to go to an outfitter and rent some gear. Get used to hiking with a load and the same for your girl. It's relatively cheap to do. Then if you still are hooked come back here and do some more research. Finances are going to play a big part in what pack you have. Because if you go with certain items the less expensive they are the chances may be that they'll take up more room in your pack. And most importantly enjoy your hikes!

frequency
09-19-2006, 09:41
Hayes - agree with chicote rent before you buy and ask others and read everything you can.

I will add one more lesson learned: there is a triangle of choices and trade-offs to consider: weight vs. capacity vs. cost. You can have low weight and high(er) capacity but sacrifice cost virtues - or - low weight low cost but low capacity - or - high capacity low cost but high weight...there are truly tradeoffs.

To paraphrase Sgt. Rock - the more you carry the more comfortable you will be in camp but the less you will enjoy the hike. Bottom line for me was to consider the balance between what I needed in camp and what I can comfortably sustain carrying for 10-20 miles a day and what I can afford...I find I can no longer abuse my body with big loads and doing so was never fun so I have try to emulate the ultralight crowd. I recently bought a GoLite Jam (~2200 cu.in.) and am as pleased as punch - used it on a 3 day hike last week - well made and easy to use and durable. The CO has recently approved a budget that will allow me to buy a GoLite Gust (~>3400 cu.in.?) next spring. It works for me.

What will work for you - I think you would have to answer - how much can or do I want to carry? What is my budget? How much crap to I have to carry?

hayes
09-19-2006, 15:20
All good info. And this is why I ask the pro's. Well as far as how much CAN I carry. Well being in the Marine Corps.. I can carry a truck if i had to. But like you all say. I will not enjoy hiking. I'm very very flexable as to what I would need in camp. As long as I can fit a sleeping bag, tent, food and cooking supplies I think I could live. But instead of being hard headed I'll try and rent some stuff and see what makes me happy.

Oh and I dont remember who said it but they said rent and see if I'm still hooked on hiking. It's too late for me. I'm so hooked. Hope to see and meet you all on the trail sometime.

Thanks
Jake