PDA

View Full Version : Contemplating a WhiteBlaze hiker feed in the south '07

SGT Rock
09-18-2006, 17:29
I have been thinking about this for a couple of weeks now. I should get back in March and then there will be spring break for the kids, plus I have time off. My buddy here was a chef before he joined the Army and loves feeding people. He is the guy that did all the work to set up a 4th of July to do a cookout for the soldiers - we feed probably about 300 here.

When we were doing the cooking I told him about hiker feeds and he loves the idea and also wants to do some backpacking anyway with his boys which are also about the same age as my two sons. Anyway...

So he and I are both interested in doing something next March around the Smokies. I was thinking that we could drive down to Fontanna dam and set up something at the park there near the Fontanna Hilton. I want to know from people that are in that area are their any restrictions to what we can do in the park. I figure stakes, potatoes, other fixins, and maybe some adult beverages. Also looking to see if anyone is untested in helping.

Sly
09-18-2006, 18:36
Sadly, no adult beverages on TVA land.

I suggested an southern Whiteblaze feed at Big Creek on Troll's thread towards the end of April. Between the group campsite, regular sites and the area hostels, it should be able to handle the crowd. I also hope to be finishing the BMT about that time so it will be a personal celebration!

But you're the boss, anywhere is fine by me

Ewker
09-18-2006, 18:37
Put me down to help out.

rickb
09-18-2006, 18:48
Also looking to see if anyone is untested in helping.

Probably quite a few.

But with leadership, I am sure even the untested can contribute.

Skidsteer
09-18-2006, 18:53
Keep us updated on firm plans, Sgt. Rock. I'd like to help so long as the date and location is doable for me.

Jack Tarlin
09-18-2006, 19:28
Rock:

If the Hilton doesn't work out, maybe you can work something out with Ron Haven in Franklin. Perhaps you can co-sponsor an event at one of his motels. Last year, he put on a weekend long event in the parking lot of his Sapphire Motel in Franklin, and it was a great time. He's a Whiteblaze member; I'm sure he'd be happy to work with you on this and co-sponsor the event.

Advantages to doing this in Franklin:

*Easier to get to than Fontana Dam for those arriving by car.
*Plenty of lodging for people who wanted to overnight.
*Access to sinks and kitchen for food prep/clean-up.
*Access to supermarkets, Wal-Mart, whatever.
*No legal problems with what you can or cannot serve.
*No complaints from anti Trail Magic people about your ruining anyone's
"wilderness experience" by throwing a party on the Trail itself

Let us know what happens!

Mother Nature
09-18-2006, 19:32
Sgt,

Count me in to help in any way I can. The only thing that would keep me from coming would be a trip to Europe to greet my son when he comes back from the big sandbox. Not sure when he finishes this tour.

I make a mean homemade peppermint patty that many a thru has taken NOBO or SOBO with them. Be glad to whip up a bunch.

Mother Nature

bfitz
09-18-2006, 19:46
I'll show up!

Farr Away
09-18-2006, 22:22
I'd be happy to help. Two of us just got back from a hike that started at Fontana Dam (AT, Lost Cove, Lakeshore Trail). Great hiking!

It's not necessarily difficult to get to Fontana, but the 'Tail of the Dragon' was quite an experience!

And Sly's right - there was a very prominent sign posted about no alcohol.

Rain Man
09-18-2006, 22:54
... Also looking to see if anyone is untested in helping.

Shore thang! Count me in, and maybe the Missus too, depending on when it is.

Rain:sunMan

SGT Rock
09-19-2006, 02:01
Sounds good ya'll. Thanks for the info about the TVA area, I sort of assumed that might be the policy. I will look into maybe doing something around the Hostel or Franklin or something like that. I'll just need to get some organizing done while I am over here so I can have most things set up in time - since I won't get home until probably around 10 March.

Hammock Hanger
09-19-2006, 06:38
I think that the "feed" that Ron Haven does is on April 1, kind of an April Fool's Feed.

I am planning on hiking this year so not sure where I will be when the feed takes place. If I am available I have no problem helping out.

Sue/HH

Gray Blazer
09-19-2006, 07:38
Sarge, I have two words for you. Second Annual Rocky Bald Hiker Feed. I had so much fun last year and I did it all by myself despite my pleas for help. I parked at Tellico Gap and lugged everything up to Rocky Bald. Plenty of tent camping, and the Thrus said it was the best thing that had happened to them so far on the trail. The elevation is about 5000 feet, the view is great, your kids would love it there. I was planning on the last week of March or the first week of April. I can adjust to your schedule. I would love it if you and your family would join me. I think if you were there it would just top off the event. Also, I made a promise in the hat thread that if TN mamages to win the SEC East, I would eat my gator hat and I know you would not want to miss that. God Bless you and your family and thank you for your service to our country.

One Leg
09-19-2006, 10:27
How 'bout leaving some goodies at strategic locations, starting with Fontana.. Sorta like 'foreplay' leading up to the big event. Let's show them Maine'uhs how it's really done....

dixicritter
09-19-2006, 10:59
I'll come if y'all don't make it too difficult for me to get to it. ;)

SGT Rock
09-19-2006, 11:11
Well I don't see hiking up to somewhere with everything we were planning, but it could be done - as long as it wasn't too far. But I was thinking if we did this in early March, going up to 5,000 feet would probably be a cold place for most folks. That was a couple of the reasons for doing it at the TVA site - that and because the place is already developed so it impinging on the trail experience would be like any other group cooking there impinging on the trail experience - it wouldn't because it is a picnic area.

As to leaving stuff along the trail - I don't want to do that.

frequency
09-19-2006, 11:17
Last mess duty was in 1986 but count me in. I am your GI Can Man. F

Ewker
09-19-2006, 11:20
Cheese Factory is a good site, lots of room

Lone Wolf
09-19-2006, 11:26
Well I don't see hiking up to somewhere with everything we were planning, but it could be done - as long as it wasn't too far. But I was thinking if we did this in early March, going up to 5,000 feet would probably be a cold place for most folks. That was a couple of the reasons for doing it at the TVA site - that and because the place is already developed so it impinging on the trail experience would be like any other group cooking there impinging on the trail experience - it wouldn't because it is a picnic area.

As to leaving stuff along the trail - I don't want to do that.
Just do it at Fontana. People don't have to drink alcohol.

SGT Rock
09-19-2006, 11:35
You know, you are probably right LWolf. My luck some schmuck would get drunk and try to skateboard down the face of the damn or some such thing. Then we get all the crap for encouraging drinking and causing stupid **** that makes hikers look bad.

But I wanna enjoy my American freedom to drink if I want to after 12 months of this crap.

Gray Blazer
09-19-2006, 11:35
Rocky Bald is a blue-blazed area off the trail aways so people don't have to come if they don't want to. You had mentioned doing some backpacking and it's a couple of miles up from Tellico Gap. Not too hard but far enough away from civilization. Safe place to leave a car. I'm not trying to pressure you...just thought it would fit the bill being as it's not too far from Maryville. I can understand if you want to do your own thing.

SGT Rock
09-19-2006, 11:41
No, actually I can be down with that Gray Blazer, but my wife wants to help on the big one, and she cannot hike. So the big one has to be somewhere she can come too. As to doing some trail magic in a remote place - I am all for it. I once went to Derrick Knob to do trail magic and not a soul showed up.

Lone Wolf
09-19-2006, 11:45
How about at the NOC ?

Alligator
09-19-2006, 11:45
No, actually I can be down with that Gray Blazer, but my wife wants to help on the big one, and she cannot hike. So the big one has to be somewhere she can come too. As to doing some trail magic in a remote place - I am all for it. I once went to Derrick Knob to do trail magic and not a soul showed up.Was it one of your scary looking days. You've got to lose the floral shirt.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=37&original=1&c=member&imageuser=5

Creek Dancer
09-19-2006, 11:47
Count me in!

SGT Rock
09-19-2006, 11:52
NOC is a great idea if they do not mind us grilling and stuff around there and undercutting the hikers spending money in the restaurant.

Naw, it wasn't a flower shirt day Alligator. But I have quit wearing those ever since I was always looked at suspiciously by women hikers dressed like that. Is there something the women need to tell me about wearing those? Is there some secret female rule of thumb about people that wear those that I don't know about?

Alligator
09-19-2006, 12:17
NOC is a great idea if they do not mind us grilling and stuff around there and undercutting the hikers spending money in the restaurant.

Naw, it wasn't a flower shirt day Alligator. But I have quit wearing those ever since I was always looked at suspiciously by women hikers dressed like that. Is there something the women need to tell me about wearing those? Is there some secret female rule of thumb about people that wear those that I don't know about?That's the encounter I was referring to. Nobdody seems to stick around when I wear my hula kilt. Maybe it needs rethatching:-? .

SGT Rock
09-19-2006, 12:21
Well I guess that says what not to wear at the feed. And it would probably not be a good theme for Billville next year either.

Gray Blazer
09-19-2006, 12:45
I always thought Max Patch would be a great place. The top of Snowbird/Wildcat top would be a great place you can drive up to if you don't mind the FAA tower. It has a great view of the Smokies. The problem with Snowbird is that the hikers just left Standing Bear or Mnt. Momma's and aren't particularly hungry as they would be if you met them in the middle of nowhere. By that time they are getting spread out, too. That's why I like Tellico Gap and Rocky Bald. You'll see a lot of Thrus and they haven't been to town that morning. Yeah, it was cold last year (look at my pic gallery) But that was one of the most fun parts. The hikers loved the coffee and the ham and eggs. I already have the thermal bags to keep them from freezing.

SGT Rock
09-19-2006, 12:53
It has been a few years since I have hiked to Rock Bald. I don't remember there being much room at the top there. Of course I didn't stay long as a thunderstorm was moving in just about as soon as I got up there.

Ewker
09-19-2006, 12:56
We did a hiker feed on Max Patch 2 yrs ago. It was great. A short walk up from the road. We grilled out for lunch, dinner and breakfast. Thank goodness we had great weather.

max patch
09-19-2006, 13:09
I'm sure the anything goes crowd will blast me, but having an organized feed on top of Max Patch is a horrible idea. Keeping it on the road would be ok.

Ewker
09-19-2006, 13:39
I'm sure the anything goes crowd will blast me, but having an organized feed on top of Max Patch is a horrible idea. Keeping it on the road would be ok.

we had no problems and cleaned everything up. You couldn't even tell we had been there.

Gray Blazer
09-19-2006, 13:52
[quote=max patch]I'm sure the anything goes crowd will blast me, but having an organized feed on top of Max Patch is a horrible idea. Keeping it on the road would be ok.[/quote

Yeah, of course. Anyway, I'll be on Rocky Bald (someone said it was Copper Ridge Bald) for the 2nd Annual Rocky Bald Hiker Feed. It's about 2 miles south of Tellico with plenty of tent camping and trees for hammocks. Bring your instruments so we can jam.

max patch
09-19-2006, 15:20
we had no problems and cleaned everything up. You couldn't even tell we had been there.

I'm sure you did. But that wasn't the point.

Ewker
09-19-2006, 15:47
[quote=Gray Blazer
Yeah, of course. Anyway, I'll be on Rocky Bald (someone said it was Copper Ridge Bald) for the 2nd Annual Rocky Bald Hiker Feed. It's about 2 miles south of Tellico with plenty of tent camping and trees for hammocks. Bring your instruments so we can jam.[/quote]

when is this?

Gray Blazer
09-19-2006, 19:27
when is this?

I'm looking at the last week in March or the first week in April. I haven't made up my mind yet. When is Easter?

Jack Tarlin
09-19-2006, 19:32
I tend to agree with Max on this one....the summit of Max Patch is not the best place for a party. People should be able to enjoy places like this in relative serenity, and this won't happen if there's a feed going on up top. And for all sorts of reasons (legal, etc.) if you're planning on serving or enjoying alcohol, it's best to do this off the Trail, and on private property.

Gray Blazer
09-19-2006, 19:36
The parking lot of Max Patch would be good I think or maybe the gap south of MP.

Jack Tarlin
09-19-2006, 19:42
Parking lots are fine, tho once again, people need to be aware of local rules and regulations regarding open fires, alcohol, etc. However, unless you're in a place specifically designed for the purpose (like the picnic tables and grills at Bear Mountain in New York), I tend to think that large-scale Trail magic or hiker feeds work better when they're not directly on the Trail.

Gray Blazer
09-19-2006, 23:09
The size of the hiker feed can depend on a lot of things. When I joined this site over a year ago I personally thought there would be a lot of interest if I started a hiker feed. Now, I got that idea from reading all the threads and posts about hiker feeds and trail magic here on WB. I started a few threads about it and was amazed that, except for a couple of people who gave me encouragment, nobody really gave a crap. I went ahead and did it anyway and had the best time of my life. I met 30 or so thrus and as you can see from their big smiles, they really enjoyed and appreciated it. I made sure to leave no trace. To tell the real truth, I felt that there were a bunch of hippocrates on WB. That's certainly not true, but, I can't help it, that's how I felt. Sarge, I didn't intend to take over your thread. I have mentioned the Rocky Bald Hiker Feed several times and except for Ewker, noone seems to care. It seems to me it depends on who is trying to start the event. Sarge mentions that he is trying to start one yesterday and already there are 3 pages about it. There's one already in progress and noone could give a crap. Maybe I'll try to get the Swedish Bikini Packpacking Team to be there.

Gray Blazer
09-19-2006, 23:11
Whoops, maybe there's only 2 pages so far.:o

Gray Blazer
09-19-2006, 23:11
There, now there's 3 pages.

SGT Rock
09-19-2006, 23:52
Face it, I am better looking ;)

dixicritter
09-19-2006, 23:53
Gray Blazer, I'm sorry you feel like this, but it was explained to you that I was wanting to also attend this feed and can not hike out to where you are planning to have yours. Just so you know it is not that I don't want to, I'm physically unable to do so due to medical issues that I'd really rather not spell out on this thread.

So to be able to attend the event it has to be in a location I can get to that hikers are going to be at also. Not an easy feat I'm seeing. At least for what SGT Rock was hoping for it seems.

Although personally, I'd just as soon leave off the adult beverages at the feed for our safety sake I think.

bfitz
09-20-2006, 00:24
Gray Blazer...this event being sort of an "official" Whiteblaze event might have something to do with the attention it's gotten from folks more than your mention of a get together on another thread....truth be told, I never noticed it...but if you get the Swedish Bikini Packpacking Team to be there, that could definitely change things for me.

How about Beauty Spot? Too far north?

Lone Wolf
09-20-2006, 05:10
The size of the hiker feed can depend on a lot of things. When I joined this site over a year ago I personally thought there would be a lot of interest if I started a hiker feed. Now, I got that idea from reading all the threads and posts about hiker feeds and trail magic here on WB. I started a few threads about it and was amazed that, except for a couple of people who gave me encouragment, nobody really gave a crap. I went ahead and did it anyway and had the best time of my life. I met 30 or so thrus and as you can see from their big smiles, they really enjoyed and appreciated it. I made sure to leave no trace. To tell the real truth, I felt that there were a bunch of hippocrates on WB. That's certainly not true, but, I can't help it, that's how I felt. Sarge, I didn't intend to take over your thread. I have mentioned the Rocky Bald Hiker Feed several times and except for Ewker, noone seems to care. It seems to me it depends on who is trying to start the event. Sarge mentions that he is trying to start one yesterday and already there are 3 pages about it. There's one already in progress and noone could give a crap. Maybe I'll try to get the Swedish Bikini Packpacking Team to be there.
It's not that no one cares but hiker feeds are a dime a dozen. Nothing special anymore.

Gray Blazer
09-20-2006, 07:51
Gray Blazer...this event being sort of an "official" Whiteblaze event might have something to do with the attention it's gotten from folks more than your mention of a get together on another thread....truth be told, I never noticed it...but if you get the Swedish Bikini Packpacking Team to be there, that could definitely change things for me.

How about Beauty Spot? Too far north?

Beauty Spot is one of my favorite places. I always thought that it would be a great place for a camping family reunion. Sarge, you are a celebrity, as well as a founder of this site, and not to mention a gear expert and I'm just a scrub. Dixiecritter, don't put up with my self-deprecating BS. You are one of the 3 people who gave me encouragement:sun . I have this character flaw of when I say I'm going to do something, I do it. I was just surprised that hardly noone at this site cared. At the time it sounded like something everyone does all the time. Sarge, good luck to you with your hiker feed. I won't be able to make it because as I said since I have announced the other one, I'll be doing it and it is hard for me to get up to NC 2 times in one month.

SGT Rock
09-20-2006, 11:07
Well Gray Blazer I'm flattered and all, but you do have a couple of things wrong. I didn't start the site. Another hiker did and he had personal issues that kept him from keeping it running right. Troll and I just took over to keep a site going we thought was usefull. I may have a lot of posts, but I'm a scrub too - hiker trash LOL.

As to your feed I am glad you invited me and I am sincerly interested in helping. I would have for your last one two if I wasn't in Iraq already starting 25 Feb. I suppose the reason I didn't respond the first time you posted about it was I didn't have a regular connection then or I would have said something about counting me in. Of ourse I would like to bring my boys to help.

Another thought - wasn't there a spot at Tellico Gap away from the trail where someone was running a friendly or a hostel or something a while back? What about there?

Gray Blazer
09-20-2006, 11:15
Yeah, I read one of Lone Wolf's post about that hostel. Maybe LW would know. If I remember correctly, I think the hostel was closed. BTW, do you ever sleep? It seems like you post day and night. My feelings about trail feeds is I want it to be in a remote place that is a distance from town. That way it's a surprise and it takes a litle more effort than driving and parking an RVEE at a mountain road, although there's nothing wrong with that. Besides, I love to camp anywhere slightly remote on the AT.

Gray Blazer
09-20-2006, 11:16
Face it, I am better looking ;)

Yeah, I'm just an old fat guy.:D

dixicritter
09-20-2006, 11:21
Dixiecritter, don't put up with my self-deprecating BS. You are one of the 3 people who gave me encouragement:sun .

Gray Blazer, don't worry about it. And I won't ;) :D

Gray Blazer
09-20-2006, 11:32
I know dixiecritter won't let me and Sarge get together because we'll be looking for that XXX shelter.

SGT Rock
09-20-2006, 12:02
BTW, do you ever sleep? It seems like you post day and night.

Yes I do. But in Iraq I am 8 hours off from you guys. So I wake up at about 2300 Eastern time, leave for patrol at 2400 your time, get back at about 0800 your time, do some work on admin stuff until about 1000 your time, and then I work on more stuff around here until about 1600 your time when I go to bed. So often I am off the net when it is afternoon your time or when I am on patrol, so you wouldn't notice. Not every day is exactly the same, but that gives you an idea of why my posts are at odd times.

ARambler
09-20-2006, 12:58
It's not that no one cares but hiker feeds are a dime a dozen. Nothing special anymore.

Well, Lone Wolf is now officially old, and we'll be bored by "in my day we didn't need any stink-in water bar" posts.

Hiker feeds are not for those who want to compare them to the 90's. Hiker feeds are for the current thru hikers and to some extent the hosts.

No hiker is going to hit a dozen hiker feeds. Hosts should not worry if their feed is too remote, too urban, too far north, etc. In fact, the more diversity the better.

I know as recently as 2005, I and a lot of other hikers enjoyed all the trail magic we received. In the south, there was somewhat permanent trail magic near Mooney Gap, south of Albert Mt. Overmountain Shelter had a hiker feed with a keg. (I think this was pretty far to haul it.)

I prefer trail magic in the middle of nowhere. Franklin is so fantastic normally, that a free hamburger would not make it that much better. I like the idea of a March date pretty far south. Hitting the most people when the weather could be iffy, could have the biggest impact and keep you busiest. You might want to consider a road where you could offer hikers transportation to town or a campground. I'm thinking of something like the Deep Gap just south of Standing Indian, just south of Wallace Gap, Tellico Gap (The hostel was not run by the owner, who shut it very early in the 2004 season.), or even Gooch Gap on USFS Road 42.

If you set up in the middle of nowhere (not so easy down south) and stay in town, you might consider taking digital pictures and emailing them to loved ones at night. I met a lady doing this in VA, and my mother thought it was the coolest trail magic.
Rambler

Alligator
09-20-2006, 13:02
If you haven't decided for sure on the location Rock and are looking for suggestions, in what range (say miles north of Springer) are you considering?

SGT Rock
09-20-2006, 13:06
The range is more like 3 hours from my house. That makes NOC up to about Hot Springs

Jack Tarlin
09-20-2006, 13:12
Hostel near Tellico is definitely closed and property is of-limits to hikers.

MOWGLI
09-20-2006, 13:14
Overmountain Shelter had a hiker feed with a keg. (I think this was pretty far to haul it.)

Great! Just what the AT needs! (NOT!) :mad:

Lone Wolf
09-20-2006, 13:16
There's a road 100yards or so from Overmountain shelter. It's hardly remote.

SGT Rock
09-20-2006, 13:18
Well I think the road is blocked about a half mile back - at least it was when I drove up there. But I get the point.

Alligator
09-20-2006, 13:20
Well I think the road is blocked about a half mile back - at least it was when I drove up there. But I get the point.So you think some kind of cart would be necessary for the keg...:-?

J/K:) .

bfitz
09-20-2006, 17:01
Yep. Perfect place!!!

Lone Wolf
09-20-2006, 19:13
Great place for alcohol, tobacco and firearms. Who's bringin the chips?:D

Skidsteer
09-20-2006, 19:37
Great place for alcohol, tobacco and firearms. Who's bringin the chips?:D

I'm pretty sure Alligator plays poker. ;)

Alligator
09-20-2006, 19:50
I'm pretty sure Alligator plays poker. ;)I don't have the nice chips yet, though I keep asking Santa.

dixicritter
09-20-2006, 20:54
I'm beginning to wonder at my sanity for wanting to be in the woods with you guys. ;)

quietly
09-20-2006, 23:07
Just do it at Fontana. People don't have to drink alcohol.

I'm with Mr. Wolf on this, adult beverages are a minor concern. Just do it at Fontana.

I was Farr Away's hiking partner this last weekend and I agree that this area is a great place for a feed, the location options are numerous. Just a half mile puts you over the dam and onto the AT in the GSMNP, easy enough access to accomodate the trail angels.

Lugnut
09-21-2006, 00:29

When I stayed at Overmountain two local guys carried a cooler full of beer up from the gravel road. It was Canadian Molson but I drank a couple anyway! Just like most things, beer's better in the woods, especially if it's free and someone else carried it. :D

Sly
09-21-2006, 00:42
OK, I get it (I think) this is supposed to be a Whiteblaze sponsored AT hiker feed on the trail that hikers can easily access, not just a Whiteblaze feed.

SGT Rock
09-21-2006, 02:13
OK, after thinking about it I really still like the Fontanna location because of the accouterments it has there for what I want to do and the accessability. Add to that I really only wanted my right to drink - which I can do later, I think Fontanna will be the location selected for this and the policy will be no alcohol. I figure if anyone coming from out of town wants to stick around that night and leave out the next day that will be the only issue left to figure out. I don't want a bunch of car campers hogging shelter space at the hilton.

Isn't there a campground at the bottom of the damn?

Sly
09-21-2006, 02:28
Sounds good, I'll just get a room at Fontana Village. What's the date?

SGT Rock
09-21-2006, 02:36
Sounds good, I'll just get a room at Fontana Village. What's the date?

Well Sly I am going to shoot for March 16th or 17th - that would make it a Friday during spring break for the kids in Tennessee. So my kids can come and so can Ranger (my buddy here in Iraq) and it would make it easier for the folks that work too.

BUT, Ranger and I are also at the mercy of what happens in this war. We could be later than expected (not likely, but possible) so I don't want to set anything firm until closer to time and we have a RIP/TOA schedule set.

Skidsteer
09-21-2006, 06:01
Hmmm...St. Patrick's day. Cloud nine in Hiawassee is hosting a hiker thing on the 17th as well.

Lone Wolf
09-21-2006, 07:12
OK, after thinking about it I really still like the Fontanna location because of the accouterments it has there for what I want to do and the accessability. Add to that I really only wanted my right to drink - which I can do later, I think Fontanna will be the location selected for this and the policy will be no alcohol. I figure if anyone coming from out of town wants to stick around that night and leave out the next day that will be the only issue left to figure out. I don't want a bunch of car campers hogging shelter space at the hilton.

A few years ago myself and some others were denied "magic" there cuz we weren't "thru-hikers", just lowly sectioners. Will you deny me magic if I show up Rock?:D

Gray Blazer
09-21-2006, 07:24
A few years ago myself and some others were denied "magic" there cuz we weren't "thru-hikers", just lowly sectioners. Will you deny me magic if I show up Rock?:D

Like I told you last year, LW, I won't deny you. I even had a piece of bread I was going to sell you (got that idea from your post about asking to buy a piece of bread from campers). I was waiting for you, but I think you got off the trail in Franklin.

Lone Wolf
09-21-2006, 07:32
Like I told you last year, LW, I won't deny you. I even had a piece of bread I was going to sell you (got that idea from your post about asking to buy a piece of bread from campers). I was waiting for you, but I think you got off the trail in Franklin.
Actually I've been politely refusing any trail magic when I'm out there but if I showed up at yours I'll break my rule. When are you doing your gig in 07?

D'Artagnan
09-21-2006, 08:19

Bottom of the "damn" what? The damn dam? Sorry, just yankin' your chain. :D

sherrill
09-21-2006, 09:46
If you set up at the bottom of the dam, Harrison Ford might wash up and be in need of some grub. Of course, Tommy Lee and the crew will be above the spillway but might come down for a drink or two. :D

Sly
09-21-2006, 10:18
OK.

I wouldn't worry too much about scheduling the same time as time as Hiawassee but bear in mind, on average AT hikers take about 2-3 weeks to get Fontana.

And Gray Blazers feed is when?

dixicritter
09-21-2006, 10:54
I'm looking at the last week in March or the first week in April. I haven't made up my mind yet. When is Easter?

This is what Gray Blazer said earlier in the thread guys. And FYI Easter is April 8th.

Gray Blazer
09-21-2006, 11:02
Actually I've been politely refusing any trail magic when I'm out there but if I showed up at yours I'll break my rule. When are you doing your gig in 07?

I'm looking at Mar 30 right now. I'll have to drive up after work on Friday, March 29 and I won't get up there till early Sat morning which means I won't really get going feeding until Sat afternoon. Ham and eggs and hot chocolate and coffee. I'll probably be serving sat-mon. I'll probably have 2 of my grandsons with me this year.

Gray Blazer
09-21-2006, 11:07
OK, I get it (I think) this is supposed to be a Whiteblaze sponsored AT hiker feed on the trail that hikers can easily access, not just a Whiteblaze feed.

The 2nd annual Rocky Bald Hiker Feed is a WhiteBlaze sponsored thru-hiker feed, but, noone will be denied. It is looking like it will start Sat. afternoon Mar 30 and go thru Mon afternoon.:welcome

Sly
09-21-2006, 11:51
What am I thinking. I'm supposed to be on the BMT next spring. That trail doesn't go near Rocky Bald and I doubt I'll be near Fontana by then.

Maybe we'll have to call for a rescue team.

Lone Wolf
09-21-2006, 11:53
Yeah and I'm supposed to be with you guys.

SGT Rock
09-21-2006, 14:42
You know me Wolf, I don't care if you just hiked starting that day or on the last leg of the ultimate thru-hike yo-yo or whatever. Hell, who at Fontanna even knows if they are going to make it? For all they know at that point they could be bailing in a week or two anyway LOL. It's all good.

tiamalle
09-21-2006, 20:48
Rock:

If the Hilton doesn't work out, maybe you can work something out with Ron Haven in Franklin. Perhaps you can co-sponsor an event at one of his motels. Last year, he put on a weekend long event in the parking lot of his Sapphire Motel in Franklin, and it was a great time. He's a Whiteblaze member; I'm sure he'd be happy to work with you on this and co-sponsor the event.

Advantages to doing this in Franklin:

*Easier to get to than Fontana Dam for those arriving by car.
*Plenty of lodging for people who wanted to overnight.
*Access to sinks and kitchen for food prep/clean-up.
*Access to supermarkets, Wal-Mart, whatever.
*No legal problems with what you can or cannot serve.
*No complaints from anti Trail Magic people about your ruining anyone's
"wilderness experience" by throwing a party on the Trail itself

Let us know what happens!Thanks Jack,And if that is an idea you would like to persue.I just bought a bigger bus,got it painted and lettered.
I haul hikers in and out of Franklin to Wallace,Winding Stair.Rock Gaps and Standing Indian 3 times daily, every morning.Sapphire Inn has a large parking lot http://sapphireinn.net click on this web site and you can see it.
We are going to be hosting the Apr 1st weekend Hiker Fool Bash each year
on the first weekend of April.This will be our 3rd official annual bash in 2007.
This past 2006 bash we had almost 800 attend in which most were hikers.
Some town fathers and the police stopped by to greet the hikers and were offering their support of the event.Any way we could help hikers we will.If
Whiteblaze could join in,all of you are perfectly welcome,or we will help if you decide to have it near here and need our help just let us know.Also
http://www.appalachiantrailservices.com/index.php?env=-inlink/index:m277-1-1-1-s&reset=1 this link will give detail of the 2007 bash

Lone Wolf
09-21-2006, 20:55
I was at last years bash at the Sapphire. Was a damn good time. You 07 hikers make a point to get there. Ron and family take care of folks.

Farr Away
09-21-2006, 20:56
I'm beginning to wonder at my sanity for wanting to be in the woods with you guys. ;)

We're not all guys!:D

Jack Tarlin
09-21-2006, 20:59
Geez, Wolf, comin' from a guy who thinks there's too damned much Trail Magic, that's a helluva reccomendation!! :D

tiamalle
09-21-2006, 21:08
Hostel near Tellico is definitely closed and property is of-limits to hikers.Tellico Gap Is beautiful but there is only room to park 3 cars.Theses spaces are usually full of section and week enders cars.

Lone Wolf
09-21-2006, 21:08
Geez, Wolf, comin' from a guy who thinks there's too damned much Trail Magic, that's a helluva reccomendation!! :D
That's not trail magic. It's a well publicized hiker event well off the trail. I'm put off by the roadside folks giving out cokes and bibles.:)

tiamalle
09-21-2006, 21:19
I was at last years bash at the Sapphire. Was a damn good time. You 07 hikers make a point to get there. Ron and family take care of folks.LW you and all the great Trail legends that came last year are welcome back 2007,Who knows'we may get the limo back out.:D

Lone Wolf
09-21-2006, 21:25
Ron, I ain't no legend. In my own mind maybe.:D I'm just hiker trash really. That limo night was fun stuff. Buying all that silly string to cover Jack. Funny stuff right there!:banana

tiamalle
09-21-2006, 21:26
You know me Wolf, I don't care if you just hiked starting that day or on the last leg of the ultimate thru-hike yo-yo or whatever. Hell, who at Fontanna even knows if they are going to make it? For all they know at that point they could be bailing in a week or two anyway LOL. It's all good.S Rock and D Critter are both invited to our April Hiker Fool Bash in Franklin 2007 even if you don't want to have the hiker feed here.
:welcome

dixicritter
09-21-2006, 22:02
We're not all guys!:D

Thank goodness! :D

I also like giving some of them a hard time anyway, just don't tell em ok? ;)

S Rock and D Critter are both invited to our April Hiker Fool Bash in Franklin 2007 even if you don't want to have the hiker feed here.

Thanks! We'll be sure to mark it down. :)

Krewzer
09-22-2006, 00:08
Hey Y'all, got in late on this thread but it all sounds good to me. Fontana is a great spot in early spring, especially March. Not many tourists around there this time of year. There's power (if you look for it), water, bathhouse, restrooms, BBQ grills, pic nic tables, a black top road and lots of thru-hikers scattered about.

Rabbit and I, along with our wives, have been doing an Easter weekend feed there for the last four years.

Sounds like a date may be locked in already, but if Easter sounds good to you guys, we'll bring the colored eggs and chocolate bunnies.

tiamalle
09-22-2006, 00:27
Ron, I ain't no legend. In my own mind maybe.:D I'm just hiker trash really. That limo night was fun stuff. Buying all that silly string to cover Jack. Funny stuff right there!:bananaI got two 8 year old twin boys as you know loves hiking almost as much as me and my Tia Mama. As to lots of others who are adults thinks they won the lottery when they see you,Pirate,Crutch,Solace,B.Jack,Sly,Dirtnap,Fishin Fred,Wee Willie,Gatoraid,
Ms Janet even though she don't hike and lot's of other great Hiker TRASH legends,That ranks you pretty high up for me.:banana

Nean
09-22-2006, 00:30
Hey Y'all, got in late on this thread but it all sounds good to me. Fontana is a great spot in early spring, especially March. Not many tourists around there this time of year. There's power (if you look for it), water, bathhouse, restrooms, BBQ grills, pic nic tables, a black top road and lots of thru-hikers scattered about.

Rabbit and I, along with our wives, have been doing an Easter weekend feed there for the last four years.

Sounds like a date may be locked in already, but if Easter sounds good to you guys, we'll bring the colored eggs and chocolate bunnies.

I checked out this thread just to ask if Rabbit would be there.:) Tell him LETITBE says hey.:D We hope to do some hiking this spring so maybe we will get in on some off the festivities.;)

tiamalle
09-22-2006, 00:37
When I stayed at Overmountain two local guys carried a cooler full of beer up from the gravel road. It was Canadian Molson but I drank a couple anyway! Just like most things, beer's better in the woods, especially if it's free and someone else carried it. :DLugnut,I need to invent a motorized wheel Bar to go on the trail for toating beer for something like this.A wheel bar is hillbilly fer wheel barrow.:D

Gray Blazer
09-22-2006, 07:26
Tellico Gap Is beautiful but there is only room to park 3 cars.Theses spaces are usually full of section and week enders cars.
You can park a lot more than 3 cars.

tiamalle
09-22-2006, 14:51
You can park a lot more than 3 cars.Blazer I will agree,you can if you jam them in.But I would think there would be 10 to 20 cars who would come to this to help.If this area is considered why not Wayah Bald or Burningtown Gap.They both have good access and plenty of parking.

Farr Away
09-22-2006, 14:53
Thank goodness! :D

I also like giving some of them a hard time anyway, just don't tell em ok? ;)

Okay - you got it!! ;) Our little secret, it is!

Krewzer
09-23-2006, 07:47
I checked out this thread just to ask if Rabbit would be there.:) Tell him LETITBE says hey.:D We hope to do some hiking this spring so maybe we will get in on some off the festivities.;)

Hey Nean, I'll PM you Rabbit's email adr....

SGT Rock
09-25-2006, 15:12
A warm up feed:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/5/feed.JPG

jlb2012
09-25-2006, 16:23
LOL - gooood picture there Rock

dixicritter
09-25-2006, 17:41
A warm up feed:

You and Ranger in those hats...LOL.

Gray Blazer
09-26-2006, 08:03
Blazer I will agree,you can if you jam them in.But I would think there would be 10 to 20 cars who would come to this to help.If this area is considered why not Wayah Bald or Burningtown Gap.They both have good access and plenty of parking.

I'm not sure how many people would come to Rocky Bald Hiker Feed (helpers, that is) . Last year I was the only one (I dropped by your Inn and met Frosty, but, you were out for the day, sorry I missed you). I believe you could park at least 7 cars w/o jamming them in there. Like I said I don't know how many people would come to this event. We had a FL gathering 2 months ago and 3 people came. If this event got bigger, I would want to change to a more accomodating venue.

Gray Blazer
09-26-2006, 08:05
BTW, the Swedish Bikini Backpacking Team would have a hard time getting their bus up there (Tellico Gap), not to mention parking it.

ed bell
09-26-2006, 08:08
BTW, the Swedish Bikini Backpacking Team would have a hard time getting their bus up there (Tellico Gap), not to mention parking it.Ya got that right! I doubt they would make the first hard right on the way up.:D

StarLyte
09-26-2006, 08:55
A warm up feed:

Great pic! What in the world is that piece of meat?
....speaking of the one in the tongs ;)

SGT Rock
09-26-2006, 09:33
T-Bone steak.