PDA

View Full Version : Sept SOBO Update -- In Stratton

firemountain
09-18-2006, 18:39
An update to everbody that helped with gear advice for me. On Sept 5 I summited Katahdin under clear skies. Started walking south and arrived in Stratton this morning (the 18th). I have been hiking with a very light pack (15lb base load) which has been a huge advantage. Traveling through the 100 mile wilderness was incredible, though the first week was diffacult. My body has quickly adapted to life on the trail and I am loving it. Yesterday I traversed the Bigelow's with perfect weather. Unfortunately I have beat my mail drop to Stratton, so I will need to take a zero. I am currently enjoying the hospitality of the Stratton Motel and looking forward to being back on the trail soon. Onward to the Mahoosic's and then the White's!
-SOBO Brian

TJ aka Teej
09-18-2006, 18:54
You picked a great place for a zero! Thanks for the update, and keep on having fun, Brian!

RITBlake
09-18-2006, 19:02
15 lbs is hardly a very light pack

RITBlake
09-18-2006, 19:02
15 lbs is hardly a very light pack

but good job and good luck! keep us posted.

StarLyte
09-18-2006, 19:41
Woohoo......another ultralighter.......:banana

I said if I ever thru hiked, it most definitely would be SOBO......and you made it thru the 100 mile Wilderness too.....congratulations!

Keep us updated.....please!

Sly
09-18-2006, 20:18
Keep it going Brian!

OK, my own base weight scale, YMMV...

+ 51 = (I'd rather not say )
41-50 = heavy weight
31-40 = light heavy weight
21-30 = medium weight
15-20 = light weight
10-14 = very light
5 - 9 = ultra light
-5 = uber light

Of course, it's all relative to various definitions/needs/wants/desires/fears.

firemountain
09-18-2006, 22:08
I appreciate all the positive support. As far as my pack weight, it is as light as I feel comfortable going. Temperatures dipped into the mid thirties on two nights so far. I slept comfortably. While it is currently very warm, cooler nights are certainly ahead. I have a total of six layers of clothing for my torso which takes up a significant portion of my base load. I feel my pack weight is toward the lower end of light weight and definately not ultra light. I have been very surprised to see how many people have extremely heavy packs! Based on bulk, only a few people have had smaller packs than mine. Every day I pass betweem ten and fifteen NOBO's. It is interesting the difference in perspective we have as they are nearing the completion of their journey while I am only at the begining of mine. I have only run into a couple of Southbounders on the trail so far. Crossing the Kennebec river on the ferry was a milestone, that occured three days ago. I have the White's ahead of me now after this last week in Maine. Haven't made any commitments yet, but am considering biting the bullet and making reservations at some huts. I have heard to many horror stories of hikers spending miserable nights on steep slopes after being told to leave the hut. Another thing that I did not expect was the number of older hikers on the trail. It is very inspiring to the see all the hikers in the 50-80 year old range out there negotiating the diffacult terrain. Well, that's all for tonight. 10pm! I can't believe I'm awake. This is the latest I have stayed up since the start of my journey.

RITBlake
09-18-2006, 22:17
Firemountain, disregard my pack comment. Please let me know when you are in the harriman park/bear mtn bridge area.

DawnTreader
09-18-2006, 23:33
good form RITBlake