PDA

View Full Version : Heading South

Jack Tarlin
09-18-2006, 19:50
My travel plans just changed dramatically as my ride couldn't get free from work.

I'm hoping to be travelling south from New Hampshire (Hanover) early next week, probably Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm intending to get as far South as Hot Springs or Erwin, but anywhere along the way would be just fine. I REALLY don't want to take the train or Greyhound unless there's no alternative.

If anyone is driving that way at that time, and would enjoy some company as well as help paying travelling expenses, please get in touch.

I promise to refrain from discussing politics as long as the driver refrains from talking about the New York Yankees.

Sly
09-18-2006, 19:59
Jack, if you end up on Greyhound to Asheville, let me know and I'll deliver you to wherever you need to go.

One Leg
09-19-2006, 00:55
If you're anywhere near Philly around Oct.10, you can ride to the Gathering with M & M and myself.

Jack Tarlin
09-19-2006, 17:58
Thanks Scott, but I hope to be well south of there by the 10th. I'm hoping to get at least two weeks hiking in before heading to Pipestem, assuming the knee permits it.

Sly---tentative plans are to catch a Train from White River Junction, Vermont, and get as close to Hot Springs as I can. Quick question for you, Sly....Amtrak service in that neck of the woods is pretty spotty. Do you think it'd be easier to get to Asheville from Gastonia NC or Spartanburg SC?

Sly
09-19-2006, 18:19
Sly---tentative plans are to catch a Train from White River Junction, Vermont, and get as close to Hot Springs as I can. Quick question for you, Sly....Amtrak service in that neck of the woods is pretty spotty. Do you think it'd be easier to get to Asheville from Gastonia NC or Spartanburg SC?

They're the same, 1.5 hour drive time from Asheville.

You can also grab a bus from Spartanburg 1:45 min 1:20p or 7:05p to Asheville. From Gastonia it's 2:45 min 12:20p or 6:00p. Of course, it'll take longer to get to Spartanburg by train.

Sly
09-19-2006, 18:21
If I have the day off you're arriving, or you arrive after work, I'll be able to pick you up at either.

Jack Tarlin
09-19-2006, 18:30
Will be in touch.....only fly in the ointment is that the train arrives in Spartanburg at 4:14 in the morning! :eek:

Will do some more research and will get back to you.

It might turn into the Greyhound trip from hell.

Sly
09-19-2006, 19:27
Will be in touch.....only fly in the ointment is that the train arrives in Spartanburg at 4:14 in the morning! :eek:

Next week I have Monday and Tuesday off, the rest of the week I start at 6:35am and work until 3:45pm

Sly
09-19-2006, 19:29
Greyhound isn't all that bad, I have nearly 10,000 miles logged! Kinda grows on you...

Jack Tarlin
09-19-2006, 19:36
Yeah? Well so does eczema, which I'd happily choose over 22 hours in a Greyhound! :D