PDA

View Full Version : Fiddlehead, check in

icemanat95
09-19-2006, 12:50
It has just been announced that the Thai military has carried out a coup against the Thai president. Our friend Fiddlehead is a resident of Thailand as is my cousin. Check in and let us know you are OK.

Sly
09-19-2006, 13:17
I think Fiddlehead is in the States now, not sure where his wife and son are. It doesn't look all that bad, but I have no idea about Thai politics......

Thai Armed Forces Seize Bangkok in Apparent Coup
By Pracha Hariraksapitak
Reuters

BANGKOK (Sept. 19) - The Thai army took control of Bangkok on Tuesday and announced it would set up a commission to reform the constitution despite Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra declaring a state of emergency from New York.

After tanks surrounded Government House in the country's first coup in 15 years, all television channels relayed a written statement saying the armed forces and police were in control of Bangkok and surrounding provinces, and appealed for calm.

It said the armed forces and police had set up a commission to decide on political reforms, ousting Thaksin in the midst of protracted political crisis in which he was accused of undermining democracy.

Weerasak Kohsurat, a deputy minister in a prior government, told Reuters he believed royal adviser Sumate Tantivejakul would head the reform commission and an interim government would be formed while political reforms were agreed.

Elections would be called soon and Thaksin would be allowed to take part, he said.

The statement was broadcast shortly after Thaksin called a television station to make a statement from New York, where he is attending a United Nations summit.

"I declare Bangkok under a severe state of emergency," he said.

The transmission stopped after 10 minutes while the billionaire telecoms tycoon-turned-politician, whose critics accuse him of corruption and abuse of power, was still talking.

The capital remained quiet, according to the television message and Reuters reporters.

Inside Government House, around 50 soldiers ordered police in the complex to lay down their weapons, a witness said.

In his television statement, Thaksin ordered troops not to "move illegally" and told army commander-in-chief Sonthi Boonyaratglin to report to acting Prime Minister Chidchai Vanasatidya.

He also ordered Armed Forces Supreme Commander Ruangroj Mahasaranond to implement the emergency order.

Even though Thailand's last military coup was 15 years ago, speculation about military intervention has been rife, with motorists calling traffic radio stations last week after tanks were spotted rolling down streets of the capital.

That proved to be a false alarm, with the army saying it was merely soldiers returning from exercises.

A general election scheduled for October was postponed last week, probably until November.

The Thai baht fell immediately after reports of tanks approaching the center of the capital.

icemanat95
09-19-2006, 15:18
Well then I hope his wife and child are in the States with him.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-20-2006, 06:27
Some of my relatives are Thai nationals and I spole with them. They basically said this was no surprise and things are actually more stable now that the coup has taken place.

icemanat95
09-20-2006, 10:13
Sounds like good news. Both my wife and I have relatives over there.

SGT Rock
09-20-2006, 11:17
One of the civilians on my team was supposed to leave for Thailand tomorrow and meet his family flying in from the states. We told him about the coup and he thought we were teasing.

Lone Wolf
09-20-2006, 11:18
And they put a Muslim in charge.:eek:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-20-2006, 12:35
The head of their Army is Gen. Sonthi Boonyaratglin is in charge. While he is a Muslim, there is no indication he support the Muslim extremists. He has been using the Thai army to thwart Muslim extremists insurgents in the southern part of Thailand.

fiddlehead
09-20-2006, 14:39
Hey folks, i'm here in PA, flew in last Friday (sept. 15th) for my annual work detail. I should be at the gathering. My family stayed in Thailand and i've talked to them twice since the coup. Everything is fine. There is however a news blackout so they (and my friends) are getting their news thru me.
This (the military coup) is considered a good thing by most all.
The former prime minister was consistantly making up his own rules to satisfied his intense greed. The people have been protesting against him for almost a year now and he has been ousted but refuses to leave. so, they did this while he was away and most of his cronies with him.
Thailand will be better after all settles down and elections are held in a few weeks.
I thank you all who were concerned for me and my safety there. However it was about as peaceful coup as you can have and the king of thailand is an exceptional person who is in the same class as the Dalai Lama.
See many of you at the gathering. thanks again.

Sly
09-20-2006, 18:08
The former prime minister was consistantly making up his own rules to satisfied his intense greed. The people have been protesting against him for almost a year now and he has been ousted but refuses to leave. so, they did this while he was away and most of his cronies with him.

Sounds strangley familar. Almost like a dream come true.. :)