PDA

View Full Version : Wet Tent Mess? Help

shoe
09-19-2006, 17:04
So I don't mind hiking in the rain or sleeping in the rain. But the tent mess the next morning is very discouraging.

I was out last night and got caught in a huge storm. I stayed mostly dry bu there was alot of "backsplash" coming up under the fly which inclued mudsplash as well.

Not sure if it's my tent (REI Quarterdome), or me.
I think the rainfly should come be able to come down all the way to the ground to help eliminate this but my tent's fly won't do that.

Is this a normal thing having to pack up a muddy tent and if so, are there any tips in to cleaning this up on the trail

Thanks so much
Melissa

mweinstone
09-19-2006, 17:25
bad design. your tent has a high bathtub floor and reletivly vertical walls. the makers know the problem. its cause the tent is trying to give too much headroom. its a compramise for tall folks, who really need the headspace. you need a tent with less vertical walls. and exspect some splash in any tent. in driving rain its a givin. try tenting away from trail where ground still has plants to defray the splashing.your on hard stomped ground in driving rain i bet.check out the black diamond bibler tents. they are the worlds best . period.the mega lite with out the optional floor weighs 2 lb and sleeps 4. i use it alone and entertain alot of guests.

ShakeyLeggs
09-19-2006, 18:19
Quick and easy solution to the backsplash problem

Hammock:D

shoe
09-19-2006, 18:23
How did I know that someone would say a hammock. After last night I am seriously considering it.

mw - thanks for the comments. Yes, I was on well padded place that plently of other have used. The whole shelter area was like a river to each tent spot. A floor is a necessity for me at this point. No creepy crawlies to get in.

Well I am off to see how good REI is about their 100% guarantee.

Skidsteer
09-19-2006, 18:37
How did I know that someone would say a hammock. After last night I am seriously considering it.

mw - thanks for the comments. Yes, I was on well padded place that plently of other have used. The whole shelter area was like a river to each tent spot. A floor is a necessity for me at this point. No creepy crawlies to get in.

Well I am off to see how good REI is about their 100% guarantee.

I'll hazard a guess.

Gooch Mtn. shelter tentsites?

shoe
09-19-2006, 20:13
Close, Hawk Mountain. Gooch would have been much worse I am sure.

Skidsteer
09-19-2006, 21:06
Close, Hawk Mountain. Gooch would have been much worse I am sure.

Yeah. That's the problem with carving tentsites in the side of an mountain. It's not the fault of the trailworkers because water runs downhill most of the time.:D

The other problem with designated tentsites is that, well...people use them.

They don't get a chance to build up any natural duff to soak up water, splash, and splatter.

Still better than sleeping in the shelter though...

shoe
09-19-2006, 21:12
So what's the key in getting the tent clean and dry...well the dry part I can figure out but what about the mudsplash...

Skidsteer
09-19-2006, 21:54
So what's the key in getting the tent clean and dry...well the dry part I can figure out but what about the mudsplash...

I think the best option is prevention, i.e, not setting up on bare, hard-packed dirt. But as Boston said, giving the tent a good, long shake gets a bunch of the nasty stuff off the tent(and on you, by the way). Wear your rainjacket while you do this.

Other than that I will put the tent in a garbage bag before packing and take a convenient opportunity to pull it out and dry/shake later in the day.

Seeker
09-20-2006, 13:35
Quick and easy solution to the backsplash problem

Hammock:D

you beat me to it...