PDA

View Full Version : Hot springs Transportation home

Rhettamus
09-20-2006, 13:37
I am starting to plan my trek for next years hike, i have to get off at Hot Springs NC and get back to atlanta, or at least the hostel near woody gap. Any recommendations or suggestions? i know the town of mitchel has a railway through it, but i dont know it passenger cars go that way? any of yall ever hitch rides on the railcars?

thanks
Rhettamus

Rhettamus
09-20-2006, 14:40
any other near by towns that have train or bus capabilities?

Jack Tarlin
09-20-2006, 14:55
Your best bet would probably be to get to Asheville where you could either get a bus or rent a car. The Shuttle service run by Bluff Mountain Outfitters in Hot Springs (828) 622-7162 is affordable and reliable; if you call, ask to speak to Dan Gallagher, one of the co-owners.

Rhettamus
09-20-2006, 16:44
i saw his name on the appalachian trail services website. do you know if the railway through hot springs is still used?

Lone Wolf
09-20-2006, 16:53
yes it is. too fast to jump on. you'll die trying or get arrested if you do happen to get on.

Rhettamus
09-20-2006, 17:01
so that must mean it is a non passenger railway, ok, i have never ben on a train long distances and always wanted to wether i paid or not. ha

Jack Tarlin
09-21-2006, 16:45
Rhettamus---

It's definitely freight only. In the past few days, I've been looking into getting to that neck of the woods by train, and it ain't easy. Seems like the closest Amtrak stops are Spartanburg SC or Selma NC. Western North Carolina and Eastern Tennessee are singularly underserved by Amtrak.

LeeF
09-28-2006, 16:15
Jack,
This won't help much but it should be a start for you and Rhettamus. Amtrak does go west of Selma on the line through Raleigh, Greensboro and to Charlotte. From Charlotte they have a connector service with a bus that will take you to Boone and maybe Asheville. Now I haven't ridden in recently but the last time I did it was great.