PDA

View Full Version : SVEA123 cookset recommendations?

sirbingo
09-20-2006, 14:55
What’s up Y’all,

I have a SVEA123 stove and I was wondering if anyone has found a good cooking pot for it that I can fit the stove into after cooking.

A coffee can works great but I hear that coffee cans do not make good cooking pots…Is this true?

:bse

Old Hillwalker
09-20-2006, 15:00
I recently bought a Ti set from EMS that fits my SVEA123 like a glove. The set includes a 3 cup pot with cover, and a one cup pot that the big pot fits into. The whole thing accepts the SVEA and fits into a mesh bag supplied with the pot set. Brand name "Snow Peak" The set was about $45 US

generoll
09-20-2006, 17:17
check on Ebay from time to time. Sigg used to make a cookset that was perfect for the Svea. I was fortunate enough to purchase one from a WB subscriber. The combo can bring as much as $100 on ebay, but you might find one for less if you keep checking.

I'm not sure about using any kind of can for cooking. Some of them have varnish or something similar on the inside and over time that can wear/burn off and then the metal itself may impart taste or just simply corrode at an accelerated rate. I've used #10 cans to boil water and made a bail for them with coat hangars, but I usually think of something like that as an expendable item.

The Old Fhart
09-20-2006, 18:17
I never really "cooked" with my Svea, I just needed to boil water. What I found worked for me was a 24oz. 4" diameter 4" high stainless steel mug ($6) that the stove(inside a small stuff sack) would fit snugly into. This combo was only slightly larger than the stove alone.

NYGuy
09-23-2006, 13:00
The GSI Hard Anodized Extreme Boiler w/Lid is perfect. http://gsioutdoors.com/Products/Cookware/HardAnodized/50131.html

The pictures are from SARHound on the Swamp Rat Forum
http://www.swampratknifeworks.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=001259#000022

nutlub
09-23-2006, 20:20
Man that set up is Sweeeet!

Thanks NY Guy
That is just what I was looking for.

:D

NYGuy
09-23-2006, 22:29
It's a nice set up. There is some wiggle room, so I throw in tea bags and sugar packets or hot chocolate packs to stop the rattle. The pump will also do the job.

Campmor (where I got mine) has it for $20 plus shipping.
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=25030137 (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=25030137)

Weldman
10-01-2006, 19:25
I use a plastic 1qt mixing tub and lid from Tap Plastic for 2 bucks. I don't mix my stove with my cooking pots. I want a good tasting meal at the end of the day, not a white gas taste.

Mike

NYGuy
10-24-2006, 12:27
Weldman, I've been using this set-up for a couple of years now and have yet to get a white gas taste in my meals.

Without knowing if you are assuming or have experience with a white gas taste in meals, I can only say, maybe it was the stove leaking that caused the "taste".

Weldman
10-24-2006, 13:07
Nyguy,

My Svea is 25+ yrs old, If thats your Svea in the Picture of the Anodized cookset. Your looks brand new, besides mine is a old 123 not the 123R.
After a while the brass does give out, I did have this happen 2 yrs ago but found the leak and solder it up. Now for safety I just pack it in the tub.

Mike

NYGuy
10-24-2006, 13:33
Nyguy,

My Svea is 25+ yrs old, If thats your Svea in the Picture of the Anodized cookset. Your looks brand new, besides mine is a old 123 not the 123R.
After a while the brass does give out, I did have this happen 2 yrs ago but found the leak and solder it up. Now for safety I just pack it in the tub.

Mike

That is not mine, it's SARHound's from the Swamp Rat forum. Mine is a 123R, that replaced my grandfathers from the 1950's (After he passed I couldn't bring myself to use it anymore.).

I'm not trying to flame you, but I have to ask. Why did you write what you did, knowing full well it was your stove that was leaking.

Weldman
10-24-2006, 16:51
NYGuy,

I mess up on my post, should have put full deatils of why I use a Plastic tub now. But hey **** happens and it did leak on a trip and the stove did not leak before my trip.

Mike