PDA

View Full Version : Books about hammocking thru's?

Michele
09-20-2006, 15:29
Hey, does anyone know if there's a book out there written by anyone who thru-hiked the entire AT w/a hammock...giving a hammocker's perspective?

If not...(and if I make it to Maine next year) would anyone want to read one? :D

BigToe
09-20-2006, 16:14
Michele,

Put me down for a copy :). That would be a must-read for me!

I haven't seen any other books on a thru-hammocker.

Outlaw
09-20-2006, 16:28
I'lll take one too, but only if I can get it personally autographed by the author.

ShakeyLeggs
09-20-2006, 16:59
Michele,

I haven't seen any other books on a thru-hammocker.

Man the hiking dictionary keeps getting bigger and bigger. Now we have thru-hiker = Thru-Hammocker:clap

Heater
09-20-2006, 19:41
Man the hiking dictionary keeps getting bigger and bigger. Now we have thru-hiker = Thru-Hammocker:clap

Do you need to crawl the ENTIRE length of the hammock or would just crawling the ENTIRE width suffice as a legitimate thru-hammock? :-?

ShakeyLeggs
09-20-2006, 20:09
I'm a purest therefore I crawl the WHOLE LENGTH. Anything less is the same as yellow blazing.:D

boarstone
09-20-2006, 20:12
Michele: We all await your "new" book when you get back off trail...

Michele
09-20-2006, 23:27
Hmmm...this might just be a really fun project. What types of things would everyone be interested in knowing? I could probably answer that, seeing I have a lot of questions right now too, but just for me to get an idea, I'd like to hear what you all would want to read about/know about.

hammock engineer
09-20-2006, 23:29
I'm a purest therefore I crawl the WHOLE LENGTH. Anything less is the same as yellow blazing.:D

I like to take the Blue Blazed route around the hammock.

hammock engineer
09-20-2006, 23:31
Hmmm...this might just be a really fun project. What types of things would everyone be interested in knowing? I could probably answer that, seeing I have a lot of questions right now too, but just for me to get an idea, I'd like to hear what you all would want to read about/know about.

I think I remember reading somewhere that Ed Speer did the PCT and AT in a hammock. I think he mentions the AT in his book, but it more of an overview and commerial for hammocking than a thru-hike account.

BigToe
09-21-2006, 00:19

It seems that lots of folks want to know how to hammock through the Smokies with the "shelter only" regs. Also there are questions about how to stay comfortable in weather extremes (esp. cold and wet). Descriptions of the hammock site at various stops would be useful for folks planning their trips.

On a general note, I always like to read about people over places - putting lots of detail (and ancedotes) about fellow hikers would be interesting to me.

Sounds like a fun project, and new ground to boot!

DawnTreader
09-21-2006, 00:28
Michele,
I think it should be less about the logistics of hammocking, and more about the culture of hammocking. I mean, everyone can tie a hammock, but nobody has yet to verbalize what it feels like in the perfect hang, the perfect spot. The hammocker is a special person, a different person. It should be a book that shows the world what it is really like off the ground.
DT
P.s. I hiked the waterloo pickney trail last week.....I got lost.. hehe good fun lots o' rain

Michele
09-21-2006, 08:35
Michele,
I think it should be less about the logistics of hammocking, and more about the culture of hammocking. I mean, everyone can tie a hammock, but nobody has yet to verbalize what it feels like in the perfect hang, the perfect spot. The hammocker is a special person, a different person. It should be a book that shows the world what it is really like off the ground.
DT
P.s. I hiked the waterloo pickney trail last week.....I got lost.. hehe good fun lots o' rain

Oh wow...didn't even realize you were in Michigan too! Did you do the entire 35 miles of it? Do you have to camp at the camp grounds or did you hang/stealth? I'm not in THAT good of shape yet...but I did the Pottawatomi over labor day weekend...and got lost twice. Ended up in someone's backyard one time (not a very nice dog there), and then on the road where the little ranger booth is where you pay, the second time. Pretty hilarious.

Seriously, keep your comments/ideas coming everyone. I am kind of excited about this idea. I personally love looking at the pictures of all the crazy places people have hung their hammocks. There are some very creative hangers out there!

Just Jeff
09-21-2006, 08:36
DT, check out Shane's writings at www.theplacewithnoname.com (http://www.theplacewithnoname.com) - he writes what you're talking about. Some of it's on the yahoo group - I don't know if he's put it all on his website or not but some of it is there for sure.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-21-2006, 08:41
Surely there are some hammock-only types in the thru-hikers over at the Trail Journals (http://www.trailjournals.com/) site.

Just Jeff
09-21-2006, 08:47
JRB has a blurb on their site about someone who hiked w/ the underquilts.

Mouse
09-21-2006, 09:23
On a general note, I always like to read about people over places - putting lots of detail (and ancedotes) about fellow hikers would be interesting to me.

I found that a dilemma when writing my book. Places are just easier to write about. I was not comfortable with either changing names/descriptions extensively to protect privacy or of writing things about people that they might feel embarrassed or upset about when they read the book. And trying to guess what every person you meet would or would not mind or of asking them in advance for permission seemed too intimidating. I settled for only writing the things I felt I could write that no one would object to.

As a result, my book was criticized as being too impersonal; of lacking emotion.

Creek Dancer
09-21-2006, 09:34
It seems that lots of folks want to know how to hammock through the Smokies with the "shelter only" regs. Also there are questions about how to stay comfortable in weather extremes (esp. cold and wet). Descriptions of the hammock site at various stops would be useful for folks planning their trips.

Sounds like a great idea for a book Michele! I would buy it. I think I have read about 75% of the AT journey type books out there. The books that include interesting stories about the AT community are the most enjoyable to read. I also like to read about the personal challenges and how the writer overcame those challenges.

jgreene
09-21-2006, 11:40
So how do you hammock in the smokies with the shelter regs...? Stealth???

highway
09-21-2006, 11:50
I found that a dilemma when writing my book. Places are just easier to write about. I was not comfortable with either changing names/descriptions extensively to protect privacy or of writing things about people that they might feel embarrassed or upset about when they read the book. And trying to guess what every person you meet would or would not mind or of asking them in advance for permission seemed too intimidating. I settled for only writing the things I felt I could write that no one would object to.

As a result, my book was criticized as being too impersonal; of lacking emotion.
And, the name of the book....?

headchange4u
09-21-2006, 12:02
Perfect title for a book about hammocking on the AT....

"Hanging Out On The Appalachain Trail"

highway
09-21-2006, 12:17
Perfect title for a book about hammocking on the AT....

"Hanging Out On The Appalachain Trail"
Now thats a title of a book I would definitely read

Now, let's see... HHmmmmm...... I use a hammock. I am going next April. Now if I could only write!:-?

SGT Rock
09-21-2006, 14:45
I'll write on after my 2008 hike so you can have something to read. But I doubt anyone would want to buy anything I write LOL.

Skidsteer
09-21-2006, 18:43
I'll write on after my 2008 hike so you can have something to read. But I doubt anyone would want to buy anything I write LOL.

Don't sell yourself short Rock.

I'd gladly pay money to read your book about the trail.

But to advance the concept of dirt bagging( which at least one chapter of your book should be dedicated to, IMO ), I volunteer to read the rough drafts for free and give you my honest impressions.:D

Hammock Hanger
09-21-2006, 21:42
If the shelters are full you can camp outside, usually during thru-hiker season there is always enough to have that option. Hammock trees abound.

Hammock Hanger
09-21-2006, 21:44

If the shelters are full you can camp outside, usually during thru-hiker season there is always enough to have that option. Hammock trees abound.

SGT Rock
09-22-2006, 03:00
Don't sell yourself short Rock.

I'd gladly pay money to read your book about the trail.

But to advance the concept of dirt bagging( which at least one chapter of your book should be dedicated to, IMO ), I volunteer to read the rough drafts for free and give you my honest impressions.:D

Hell, I am the sort of guy that will just put it on-line and let people that want to read it for free like some of the better journals such as "Then The Hail Came" http://www.skwc.com/exile/Hail-nf.html