PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol stove cleaning and upkeep.

Earl Grey
09-20-2006, 17:51
What are some things to do to keep an alcohol stove in tiptop shape? I used a thumbtack to clear the holes but is there anything else to do?

Footslogger
09-20-2006, 18:41
Can't speak for all models but for the Trangia it's pretty simple. About every other hike (short ones) and several times during a thru I take a paper clip/safety pin etc and push it through the holes to keep them open and the same diameter. Other than that the only other part on the Trangia that needs occasional changing is the O-ring in the cap to the fuel reservoir.

'Slogger

SGT Rock
09-21-2006, 02:01
I don't do anything.

jlb2012
09-21-2006, 07:59
neither do I - if my burner ever goes kaputt I just dig out another from the bag - tea light candle tins are _very_ light and so I carry two - normally one for the burner and one for the oil lamp but I can easily do without the oil lamp

headchange4u
09-21-2006, 09:02
I normally don't clean my alcohol stoves either. I have so many lying around that I could always just grab a new one if I ever have problems with my old ones;).

When I bought my used Trangia I took out my can of Nevr-Dull (http://www.amerimark.com/cgi-bin/amerimark/cat_item.html?prod=22120&media=G62765&days=XVQ) (this stuff is great for polishing metals) and wiped it down. Although the stove looked like it hadn't seen that much use, it is made of brass which tarnishes easily. When I was finished it was shining like a new penny. The holes in the Trangia are small enough that I think a periodic cleaning might not be a bad idea.

khaynie
09-21-2006, 09:48
The one I built, a Budweiser can I might add, is still working like a charm. Used it tons before the start of my thru hike and every day during. If your ports on your stove were made with a push pin, that should be plenty big ~ unless perhaps your cooking bacon...

hopefulhiker
09-21-2006, 18:32
Every now and then I squirt some alcohol on my alcohol stove...

Skidsteer
09-21-2006, 18:58
The only times I have felt it necessary to clean a stove have been after experimenting with 70% rubbing alcohol. It can be sooty.