PDA

View Full Version : HH underquilt?

frogbeat
09-20-2006, 23:33
I am planning a thru hike for '07 and I have already purchased the ultra light HH. I recently found this site and as I'm reading about others who use hammocks I have some questions.
Mainly I am very confused about the use of an underquilt. Are they necessary? I thought part of the appeal of the hammock was that there would be no need to buy extras such as sleeping pads. Would I be warm enough with a 20 degree synthetic sleeping bag and no underquilt/sleeping pad? It almost sounds like the people who use underquilts arent using sleeping bags as well?? Is it like an either or? Or am I totally missing the point? Please help I am very confused and I fear I am just going to come off as a complete idiot for asking this.

blackbishop351
09-20-2006, 23:48
Underquilts are used on hammocks for the same reason you use a pad on the ground. When you lay on your sleeping back, the insulation compresses underneath you and therefore isn't as effective.

Some sort of bottom insulation is doubly important in a hammock, because air can move underneath you, wicking away your body heat quicker than if you were on the ground.

You CAN use a pad in a hammock, "normal" ground pads aren't terribly comfortable or easy to work with in a hammock - and comfort is the name of the game when it comes to hanging. The ~ 20" width of most ground pads isn't really wide enough to insulate your shoulders once you lay on it in a hammock, either. Underquilts or Segmented Pad Extenders (Speer Hammock manufacture) seem to be the solutions of choice.

Your sleeping bag will work fine for top insulation, but I think you'll find it easiest to leave it unzipped most of the way, put your feet in the footbox, and drape it over you like a quilt. This will allow you to move around without getting tangled. And since you'll have separate bottom insulation, you don't need the bag under you. The other solution for your topside is an overquilt.

As always, just my .02 :D

FanaticFringer
09-20-2006, 23:54
Go here www.toothewoods.com
www.jacksrbetter.com
www.speerhammocks.com
Do a search. Tons of great info. here on this subject.

frogbeat
09-21-2006, 00:11
Wow, I didn't expect a reply so quickly. Thanks for the info and links, very helpful! :0)

hammock engineer
09-21-2006, 00:27
Here is another site, www.hikinghq.net (http://www.hikinghq.net) . It is by Sgt Rock. His site is what convinced me to get a hammock.

Another thing to consider in addition to the compressed insulation factor is the convection factor. In a hammock you have air pashing underneath you, this has a huge cooling effect.

Lay in your hammock for a few minutes and you will see all of this cooling taking place.

Lost of great info on WB and the sites linked. Asked all the questions and read up. One more thing, there is a hige learning curve to hammocking. Don't get discouraged early on.

DawnTreader
09-21-2006, 00:32
I feel bad for ground dwellers
unenlightened

FanaticFringer
09-21-2006, 00:32
Meant to type www.tothewood.com
Yea, there is a pretty big learning curve. Nothing major just lots of trial and error.

FanaticFringer
09-21-2006, 00:33
Could seriously use an edit option on this forum.
For the third time www.tothewoods.net

hammock engineer
09-21-2006, 00:33
Meant to type www.tothewood.com (http://www.tothewood.com)
Yea, there is a pretty big learning curve. Nothing major just lots of trial and error.

http://www.tothewoods.net but close enough (smiley face).

hammock engineer
09-21-2006, 00:34
Could seriously use an edit option on this forum.
For the third time www.tothewoods.net (http://www.tothewoods.net)

Beat me to it. Donate to the site and you get edit privilages. Worth the price of addmission.

FanaticFringer
09-21-2006, 00:39
I did not know that. Thanks.

FanaticFringer
09-21-2006, 00:45
My second night in a hammock my butt was touching the ground after a few hours. I was still more comfortable than in a tent.
Hammocks rule...........

Heater
09-21-2006, 04:15
Wow, I didn't expect a reply so quickly. Thanks for the info and links, very helpful! :0)

:welcome to Whiteblaze, Frogbeat.

Ramble~On
09-21-2006, 05:05
Please help I am very confused and I fear I am just going to come off as a complete idiot for asking this.

So what...I sound like a complete idiot all the time:rolleyes: .
Plus.....the only way you'll feel less confused is to find the answers to your questions.....and YUP...you guessed it....the only dumb question is the one that isn't asked...
Welcome to WB and since you're planning an 07 thru hike I imagine you'll find this site an excellent resource.

Before you ask a question do a search on the topic and more than likely you'll find that someone has beat you to the question you were going to ask. The answers to your questions are more than likely already posted on here somewhere.....if not...fire away...it always seems that someone on here has the knowledge, answer or advice.

Michele
09-21-2006, 08:26
I am planning a thru hike for '07 and I have already purchased the ultra light HH. I recently found this site and as I'm reading about others who use hammocks I have some questions.
Mainly I am very confused about the use of an underquilt. Are they necessary? I thought part of the appeal of the hammock was that there would be no need to buy extras such as sleeping pads. Would I be warm enough with a 20 degree synthetic sleeping bag and no underquilt/sleeping pad? It almost sounds like the people who use underquilts arent using sleeping bags as well?? Is it like an either or? Or am I totally missing the point? Please help I am very confused and I fear I am just going to come off as a complete idiot for asking this.

Welcome Frogbeat! Just a few weeks ago, I was completely uneducated about hammocking, and now, I'm leaving tomorrow for my first weekend of Hanging w/my new set-up....thanks to all the great people here on WB. Here's a link that will take you directly to my first thread, where I asked all the basic questions.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17171&highlight=Michele

I'm also going to thru in 07 (Steppin off March 15 BABY!!!!), so hope to see you out there!!

Just a note for everyone...I was surfing some journals on TJ, and found Cheesewhiz. Not very in depth journal, but he's hammocking all the way and in one post he mentions that he only spent the first night in the shelter, and all other nights in his hammock, and that he HIGHLY recommends hammocks to people who have back problems! He will probably be summiting Katahdin in a week or two.

Doctari
09-21-2006, 10:07
You can use a pad, but if it shifts out of position especially in a Speer or Byer type, you will spend considerable energy shifting it back. HHs are got into differently, but I recommend against a pad inside the hammock. Currently my pad is attached to the outside of my hammock, works GREAT. It is held in place with the mosquito netting (hammock upside down) as the bugs aint a problem. It got to 42 last night & I was toasty all night. Going to get uh underquilt soon as I can, easier to use & pack.

Doctari.

peter_pan
09-21-2006, 15:05
Welcome to the hanging crowd....

Pan

littlelaurel59
09-21-2006, 21:29
Mainly I am very confused about the use of an underquilt. Are they necessary? I thought part of the appeal of the hammock was that there would be no need to buy extras such as sleeping pads.

The appeal of a hammock is comfort.

Hangers can spend as much $$$ (or as little) as ground dwellers in nice tents (or under tarps), and often carry a little more weight. We hang because the ground gets hard and lumpy.