PDA

View Full Version : Current gear weight:

kgilby
09-21-2006, 00:23
We'll be doing a 3 day hike in mid Oct in GSMNP and I have got our pack weights down to 28 lbs each. Bought Gregory Z packs (on sale @ rei for $120), which saved each about 2.5 to 3 lbs. Any suggestions for further reductions (gear list file attached)?

hammock engineer
09-21-2006, 00:31
Not too much advice, I didn't want to sit on my last post count.

Do you need a pillow? Personal decision on this one, but the first aid kit seems a little heavy.

speedy
09-21-2006, 01:46
Hey Ken, that's quite an improvement. Given your sleeping requirements there's not much left to change. I think you'll really like those Z packs. Some would argue that you don't need trowels, but as long as you only take one and keep it hidden (so people don't think you're a newbie) you'll be fine and they do make life easier than using rocks. Just be sure to go at least 6-8" deep. You still don't need the compass unless you're planning on doing some surveying up there, and even then, doesn't your gps have a compass built in? Other than that, it looks really good. The rain gear is a bit heavy, but the $20 cost of replacing them doesn't warrent the pound or so saved with drop stoppers imo. Maybe something worth considering on your next trip though. It's more of a personal preference, but I prefer a cotton bandana to a camp towel, but since you've spent the money I hate to tell you that. I wouldn't worry about the first aid kit too much. Mine is pretty minimalist (I'm sure that's a shocker), but with that you're carrying peace-of-mind as much as safety. If you've got any perscription pain killer pills one or two of those are good to include. (Disclaimer: Be sure to follow all laws regarding the transport of regulated meds.) If you have a bad injury they can keep you from going into shock and dull the pain enough to get to help. It's also good to throw some waterproof matches and an extra bic mini lighter in there as well.

I think you've made a really wise choice with the pocket rocket. I'm still impressed with that thing. For me, it makes life so much easier than alcohol.

Move the pot/cozy/spoons to your pack from Peg's and I think you're set. Hope you have a great trip, and we want to see lots of pictures! :D speedy

Natchez
09-21-2006, 02:34
Looks good leave the filter at home. I just took a group up to the GSMNP and took the Hiker filter and the aqua mira stopped using the filter the 2nd day as the water was clear. The water at Russell was low and was off color a bit filtered or not. That filter I really want to use as it was new but 1 lb of unused #

Daddy Longlegs
09-21-2006, 06:48
Everything looks pretty good to me but you may want to leave the footprint at home ( I have not used one in years and have never had any problem)

Also why 2 trowels when you can share one?

Are you taking 2 full rolls of tp each for 3 days? One for both of you should be good but one each would be ok if you are worried.

Dont forget to take your maps for the smokies and a personal thing for me is always a garbage bag and some duck tape.

Have a great time!

MAD777
09-21-2006, 13:05
Very well organized list! Well done!

I would do something about that 6 pound tent.
Anything else would be small potatoes by comparison.
I like the Tarptents, Golite Hex 3 and Black Diamond Mega-Mids.

kgilby
09-21-2006, 18:06
Thanks for all the replies. We'll take too much on this hike, just because it's the first hike and I worry that we'll need something if we leave it home. One trowel is a good suggestion, the TP rolls are small, travel rolls that I found at Target, the spreadsheet lists 2 each, it should be 1 each. Leaving the footprint might work, would a piece of Tyvek work instead? Is there a weight savings? Replacing the tent may be the next big area of weight reduction. If it doesn't get used this trip, as we've reserved spots in shelters, I may return it to rei and look at one of the alternatives. Should the maps be detailed, topo maps? If so, what's a good map and where's a good place to get it? And for Boston, I'll only quit worrying once we've packed the car and are on our way, which will be in a few short weeks. You sound like my wife. Thanks again for all your helpful input.

Daddy Longlegs
09-21-2006, 19:33
Almost any trail map of the smokies will be fine. 2 of the best maps are Great Smoky Mountains Trail Map that is sold by the park and is a $1. (really the only map you need) or there is the national geographic map of Great Smoky Mountains National Park #229 and is $9.95 and up. (map is water proof and tear-resistant) Also if you plan on going more then once then buy a good guide book.

Do not worry about your weight cause in my book anything under 30 pounds is good by me. Go have a great time!

kgilby
09-21-2006, 20:28
Thanks for that. I'm looking forward to this trip, especially since it's our first backpacking. I had to twist my wife's arm back in Jan/Feb when I first started talking about it, but now she's getting into it. In fact, she was looking in rei's catalog and thought she'd like her own backpack, instead of using our daughters. I checked out the Tarptents and like the looks of the Double Rainbow - it's very similar in layout to the rei half dome that we are using now - and it's about 3 lbs lighter. I haven't gone on my first hike and I'm already feeling the need for lighter/better gear!