PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag dilema

onesocktwin
09-21-2006, 10:02
I am relatively new at backpacking. Made the mistake of buying a rectangular down bag 30 deg. Have used it at this temp with a liner and several layers of clothing including stocking cap and mittens.........still way too cold!

Question: Can I use the Marmot trailite as a liner, or am I going to have to bite the bullet and buy a better mummy bag?

highway
09-21-2006, 11:43
What bag, what weight?
What temperature was it?
Were you sleeping in hammock, tent, tarp, or what?
Did you use a mat?

A 30 degree bag suffices for many for three season use. It has for me for many years and I have occasionally even used it in snow when I had too.

onesocktwin
09-21-2006, 16:23
What bag, what weight?
What temperature was it?
Were you sleeping in hammock, tent, tarp, or what?
Did you use a mat?

A 30 degree bag suffices for many for three season use. It has for me for many years and I have occasionally even used it in snow when I had too.

It is actually a Campmor 20 degree down bag, fill wt. 20 oz Style 40069. I have a Cocoon Travelsheet liner. I was sleeping in a tent with a Thermarest Trail Lite. It was 30 degrees on the AT in mid-March near the GA/NC line. I have since changed to a Women's Prolite 4. I am 5'6" 125# and normally very cold natured. I originally went with a rectangular bag because I was afraid I would feel claustrophobic in a mummy but I cannot sleep if I'm cold.
I am planning a winter trip and need to solve this problem.

hopefulhiker
09-21-2006, 18:44
My two cents:
A.Go on and spring for a mummy bag and a silk liner. You won't have as much space to keep warm and it will probably be lighter.
B. Try an insulated air mattress like the Big Agnes or Pacific Insulmat.
C. or try a back country blanket and an insulated air mattress and a silk liner, this is what I used on the thru.

highway
09-22-2006, 07:18
The prolite 4 is 1 1/2" of insulation between you and ground, and, blown up tight, I suspect it is enough but, did you feel cold seeping up through it? Or, were you just cold all over. It sounds like you may need a colder rated bag. Depnding upon the material of your liner you may subtract 5 to near 10 degrees to your 30 degree bag rating so, if you keep using it, drop 10 degrees and go for a 20 degree bag, assuming, of course your anticipated night time temps keep hovering no lower than the 30 like you mentioned. we all sleep different and there are many bags-quality wise. I would still use a 30 degree bag at those temps-and I do-but I would don more clothes to stretch the bag's rating downward. And I seldom use a liner. But, maybe I sleep warmer than you do. The best place to start regulating body temperature is through your head so, if cold, wear a knit hat to bed or purchase some of your hiking clothes with a hood and use it at night, which is what i would do. Conversely, if too warm, remove headwear first
Good luck with your choices:cool:

onesocktwin
09-23-2006, 11:31
Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like a new mummy bag in my future!