PDA

View Full Version : Maybe It's The Time of Year ??

Footslogger
09-21-2006, 10:35
Lots of hikers talk about "Springer Fever" but is anyone else afflicted with Katahdin thoughts this time of year ??

No idea why but I was about to shut down the laptop at home this morning and get ready for work when it hit me ...BAM !!

I looked over at the stack of DVD's and saw "Trail Magic", the disk put together by MELLOW YELLOW (AT 2003). My first thought was to just plug it in and watch snipits of the DVD but forget that ...

I ended up watching the whole thing and was over an hour late for work. Needless to say the memories it brought back were far more important to me than going to work.

Anyway ...got to work with all those thoughts bouncing around in my head and decided to start this thread. Might just be me, but the pull of Katahdin in September/October is just as strong as the Springer Fever feelings I get every January/February.

'Slogger

Undershaft
09-21-2006, 11:14
My Springer fever has taken a couple years off. For the past few years I have been seriously thinking about thru-hiking. I studied it from every angle possible and about nine months ago came to the conclusion that I cannot do a thru. The logistics and cost of being away for six or seven months is too much right now. I will now be hiking the AT in two or three sections. Next summer I will be hiking DWG to Katahdin. My plans have brought on a case of Katahdin fever. I have become so focused on the northern half of the trail that Springer is just some abstract thought that may come into being in a year and a half. Katahdin, on the other hand, is less than a year away. My screensaver consists of a slideshow of about thirty different pics of the big K. Sometimes I like watching the screensaver better than whatever was on the screen before. Yeah, I have Katahdin Fever!

bfitz
09-21-2006, 12:27
Boy, your boss must really love the effect the AT has had on your productivity!

Footslogger
09-21-2006, 12:37
======================================

I doubt that I'm the only hiker in that category.

'Slogger

the goat
09-21-2006, 13:33
======================================

I doubt that I'm the only hiker in that category.

'Slogger

you're definitely not alone on that one!!!:D

attroll
09-21-2006, 13:50
The fever hit me hard during the WhiteBlaze hiker feed last weekend. The fever always hits me when I am around other thru hikers. What was really exciting this time was I set a start date this last weekend. So I have a date for 2010. I ran into another hiker that I am going to shuttle to Springer with. We are not hiking together but will start the same date. Setting that date was really exciting.

Footslogger
09-21-2006, 14:12
What was really exciting this time was I set a start date this last weekend. So I have a date for 2010.

What's your start date ??

...and remember, that's probably the year BAT and I are going to re-hike the AT.

'Slogger

attroll
09-22-2006, 01:40
What's your start date ??

...and remember, that's probably the year BAT and I are going to re-hike the AT.

'Slogger
It is not 100% yet. But this is the date another WhiteBlaze user here in Maine is heading down. So I figured that it would be nice to at least share the ride down together to Springer at least. Like me and you talked about before and we both had the same agreement. I am not planning on hiking with anyone. I am going to hike my own hike. If I run into someone with the same pace that would be nice, but I am not going to cater my hike for someone else.

The date we set for now is 15 March 2010. Now I need to start looking into the weather for that time frame. It is still three years away but with a date it makes it seems closer. Have you and BAT decided on a time frame yet?

DiamondDoug
09-22-2006, 16:10
Lots of hikers talk about "Springer Fever" but is anyone else afflicted with Katahdin thoughts this time of year ??

Oh...absolutely. I even joined Whiteblaze last year on the anniversary of climbing Katahdin. It usually hits me sometime in September, and I start thinking about the end of the hike, daydreaming about the feed at Antlers, the view from Daicey Pond, and what a wonderful, glorious day it was up on top.

SGT Rock
09-22-2006, 16:16
I got it bad. I need an AT fix.

As for me - 6 April 2008.

Tin Man
09-23-2006, 04:51
I am getting me section fix in 7 days!!! Woo hoo! :sun (Almost posted the dreaded dancing banana - that's how bad the fever is!)

white rabbit
09-23-2006, 08:57
I wish I only had two to four years to wait. As for me it will be 2015, the year I turn 50! Big party on the trail somewhere 7-28-15!!:D
I can, and do, take off and section hike though.

Gecko
09-23-2006, 10:34
It will be a long time for me too. Right now, I'm thinking 2011 or 2012. School- it drives me crazy!

Blue Jay
09-23-2006, 19:36

Actually many long distance hikers never go back to having a boss. You may have someone who temporarily gives you money for work. Once you know there is a hole in the fence, no one can really boss you again. Some day you may find this out.

ed bell
09-23-2006, 20:13
I got it bad. I need an AT fix.

As for me - 6 April 2008.The SGT. Rock Update thread for your hike will be the new gold standard for WB threads.:sun