PDA

View Full Version : Fuel / Stove combo

Omarwannahike
09-21-2006, 11:40
Hello,

I used a MSR whisperlite last year in 'The Whites' it was good, but then again the 1+ lbs including fuel was not a big deal because we drove up and didnt have to carry it for 180 days.

I am thinking of taking a Giga power.. they use the fuel canisters.. how is the availability of fuel canisters around the AT?

Any info is appreciated.

Lone Wolf
09-21-2006, 11:43
Fuel availabilty is good especially in the south where there's tons of outfitters.

Omarwannahike
09-21-2006, 11:58
Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated.

MAD777
09-21-2006, 13:35
You mention "the Whites" where I do some winter camping.
At temps. well below freezing, stove options decrease, which I suppose is why you used the Whisperlite gas stove.

I have found a cold weather alternative to the gas stove weight by using an MSR Windpro which is a remote canister stove and I turn the canister upside down.

The problem with an upright canister stove in cold weather is that only the propane vaporizes and gets burned leaving the butane behind. Since canisters contain only about 30% propane, 70% of the canister fuel doesn't get used.

With upside-down remote canister, the butane gets forced out by the vaporized propane and the butane does get vaporized at the pre-heat tube, just before entering the burner.

In this configuration, the remote canister burns efficiently, weighs half of a gas stove and, unlike alcohol or esbit, puts out the necessary Btu's for the beautiful but frigid White Mountains!