PDA

View Full Version : Music on the Trail

goatmilk
09-21-2006, 12:35
Hello Y'all. I'm currently SoBoing and I would like to purchase a walkman to listen to FM on the trail. Does anyone have any good suggestions?

Here's the deal: I bought a Song Walkman (am/fm) for 16 beans. And this is how it goes even on the ridge:

good music.....pshhhhh....good music (lower volume)....zzzzzzz.....different random song.....pshhhh...good music (higher volume).

ANNOYING!

Any suggestions will be appreciated. XM isn't out of the question either.

Peace. Goatmilk. :eek:

Ender
09-21-2006, 12:44
That's just pretty much how radio is going to be on the AT, especially in the more mountainy areas. XM would probably work better. I gave up on radio while hiking, and use either a tape or now mp3 player for the bulk of my listening, and only use the radio when I can get a strong signal for a while.

JJB
09-21-2006, 12:53
I have a little Brunton radio that I bought at a LL Bean outlet for 8 bucks. It's about the size of a peacoat button. It has ear bud type headphones and it scans so there is no real "tuning".It pulls in strations like crazy. Good for a little bed time NPR. It has nothing on my McIntosh amp and Klipch speakers, but I think it's one of my best equipment buys in a while.

mweinstone
09-21-2006, 17:34
c craine radios, bob craine is the one to buy a radio from that is specificly for doing what you asking. check em.

saimyoji
09-21-2006, 22:53
c craine radios, bob craine is the one to buy a radio from that is specificly for doing what you asking. check em.

http://www.ccrane.com/

As advertised on coasttocoastam.com. Been a fan of Art and George for years. Some nights are so scary I have to turn it off. But I always go back. :eek::D

Turbo Joe
09-21-2006, 23:06
your in my department with this query. last year i use a sony sport 2 walkman which never failed me... it had am/fm radio tva and weather band radio which was very useful however ...i am an avid listener of music and i have now switched to an mp3 plaver made by sansa. it has fm radio and holds up to 500 song while when i had my walkman i have 3 full tapes of music and that got old after 500 miles so my preference would be the mp3 cause it holds more song has a radio and weighs much less plus i found one that runs on 1 aaa battery rather than a rechargable

goatmilk
09-28-2006, 13:16
just jumped on the MP3 wagon and picked up the Sansa and so far so good. Holds around 250 songs and fm pick up which is nice. :sun

generoll
09-28-2006, 18:06
forget XM, i bought one for walking and hiking. it has a 5 hour rechargeable battery which must be put in its' own charger to recharge and loses the signal everytime you get beneath a leafy tree.