PDA

View Full Version : making a hiking skirt... any suggestions?

Gaiter
09-21-2006, 17:48
Hello! After discovering the joy of bodyglide, I want to make a skirt for my next hike, I was thinking of something like the Macabi skirt (http://www.macabiskirt.com/index.php) but instead some kind of system to just gather the skirt up in the front, back and sides so i could vari the length as needed. Maybe a system along the lines of something like the strings in stuff sack bag closures that would run up and down the length of the skirt and adjust at the waist so it wouldn't get caught (if that makes any sense) Has any one else tried to make somthing like this? Any suggestions?
Also I saw a sobo section hiker (whose name escapes me) this summer who was wearing a skirt that had something gathering her skirt on the sides so she could make it shorter if she wanted. has anyone seen a skirt like that and might know where i could find a picture of one.

Thanks
Hanna

Farr Away
09-21-2006, 22:24
There was another thread(s) in this forum about hiking skirts that had links to some pictures, but...

You could sew a channel into each top to bottom seam in the skirt and use something like bias tape for your 'string'. Probably be best to sew one end of the tape into the hem of the skirt and put something like a cord lock on the other end.

Or what about:
- sewing one end of a ribbon to each inside bottom side seam
- sew one part of a snap to the other end of each ribbon
- sew a series of the opposite part of the snap up the outside side seams

Then you could adjust the length by which outside snaps you snapped the ribbons to. You could also do this in the front and back, I guess, but just adjusting the side length might be enough.

To pretty it up, you could sew another one of the 'outside' snap pieces on the inside where you could fasten the ribbon so it couldn't be seen.

Could work? I think something like this might be what the Macabi skirt is all about.