PDA

View Full Version : Jacket or vest?

Earl Grey
09-21-2006, 21:36
For an insulating layer over thermal underwear im currently debating on whether or not to get a fleece (or insert synthetic insulating material here) jacket or vest. Would it be a function of temperature only like if you knew what temps you would be going in or maybe range of motion and less weight. Obviously you want to keep your core warm which a vest would accomplish and maybe if your core is warm then your upper extremeties will be too.

map man
09-21-2006, 21:52
I've tried both and I definitely prefer the full jacket in cool to cold weather for sitting around camp. In a vest my arms get cold and that soon spreads to my core. The vest I tried was the Patagonia puffball, and my jacket is the micropuff. I think they have comparable amounts of insulation. I know some can get by with the vest, but I can't seem to -- maybe it's because I'm too skinny:D .

The Old Fhart
09-21-2006, 21:58
Absolutely a jacket.

speedy
09-21-2006, 22:03
Vest, but I'm unusually warm natured with great circulation in my arms and hands. It's gotta be really cold before I go to my jacket. Of course make sure you have something to protect your arms from wind. :D speedy

twosticks
10-06-2006, 10:39
I go with a good baselayer, a set of Pearl Izumi Arm warmers and a down vest (if it's cold) or a fleece if it's cool. I like the way my arms feel without being contricted by the sleeves. Oh and by the way, if you haven't checked them out yet... you should...

http://www.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&product_id=514&type_id=1&sport_id=5&category_id=11&color_code=021

Hope that works

Alligator
10-06-2006, 10:44
At a minimum I have a light fleece top and a Primaloft vest. I switch to a Polarguard jacket in colder months.

Jeff
10-06-2006, 10:52
I find a lightweight vest is great while hiking on cool, cold days. Around camp though, a jacket is the way to go.

The Will
10-06-2006, 15:03
I find that a jacket gives my more versatility than a vest does. I can unzip the jacket, push the sleeves up or, if the jacket has pit zips I can pull my arms through the pit zip holes and in essence, have a vest.

ScottP
10-06-2006, 16:38
It depends on the person--for me, a vest, but I grew up in a cooler area. Grew up in flordia? Might want a jacket

Also, fleece is a poor choice for a thru-hike. Either a synthetic insulated jacket/vest or down.

mweinstone
10-06-2006, 20:14
because of my vest.dont forget the layers of bag and tent. they protect your lfe. vest and raincoat and underwares,..they protect your comfort.