PDA

View Full Version : Any MD Trail Towns?

wanderlust
04-24-2003, 20:17
Anybody know of any towns along the Maryland portion of the trail? Good or bad, etc. Thanks a ton...

Groucho
04-24-2003, 20:53
Not much after the Harpers Ferry area (Sandy Hook). Boonsboro is 2 miles from the trail at Turners Gap. Coke machines at Gathland SP, Washington Monument SP. Upscale restaurant at Turners Gap, also free camping and showers there. The Dogpatch Inn ("rough biker hangout", according to one guide) is not far from AT on rt. 40. Is this place still open? They sold a pretty good burger there.

Had a couple of my most interesting hiker days in MD. Didn't really expect it. However, you must carry your trash to another state.

Peaks
04-25-2003, 07:14
Maryland isn't long enough to have any towns. But, as pointed out, there are some good places near the trail.

As I recall, the motto of that biker bar is that "we look after biker trash and hiker trash on our mountain." HIkers should not feel intimindated if they go there.

Groucho
04-25-2003, 18:54
I didn't feel intimidated. The guide comment made me curious enough to go. The first time I was the only customer. Afterwards, outside, as I was going to use the phone, a biker on the other end of the restaurant glance at me askance, shook his head and mounted his bike. For some reason I got a chuckle out of it.

On the way back to Harpers Ferry, I gathered 5 other hikers and went in. After we were served a fully leathered biker "momma" came struttin' in and with husky voice said " The hikers and the bikers, Aw Right", and gave us a thumbs up. There was a roar of laughter. Just one of the experiences on that day.

Only thing I disliked about the place were those small, non-refillable bar cokes. Maybe that's why I never see the place mentioned in hiker journals.

ganj
04-26-2003, 20:04
The Dogpatch Tavern is outstanding. The food is good and the beer is great. The patrons of the bar, even better. If you pass this place up, you are missing out. Besides, if you decide to stay an extra hour or so the next shelter is only a short walk up the trail (northbound).

Blue Jay
04-26-2003, 20:34
Yes bikers and hikers go together real well. Almost the only ones left in America who are not yet domesticated then regurgitated. I've done the section Ganji mentioned three times, drunk and singing

Jumpstart
04-27-2003, 08:19
My husband and I just had to take the sidetrip to the Dogpatch, and we were so grateful we did. We were the only customers in the place aside from a biker who had lost his job that day and was drowning his sorrows, so we got to listen in detail about how his former employer screwed him over and he was glad he was never going back. But the food was great, the portions were good, and service was accomodating and it wasn't intimidating at all. And you can refill your water in the bathroom. Worth the trip for the atmosphere alone! :banana

Mini-Mosey
04-27-2003, 14:10
Hagerstown is not far from the Dogpatch Tavern; you could hitch a ride into Hagerstown on Rt. 40. Hagerstown is a small city.
I believe the little town of Smithsburg is a few miles down Rt. 17(Wolfsville Road); the AT crosses Rt. 17. Turn left at that crossing. I remember a hiker I ran into who walked to Smithsburg, went to the grocery store, and returned; the Ensign Cowall Shelter is only a short distance north of the Rt. 17 crossing.

Mini-Mosey
04-27-2003, 14:10
Hagerstown is not far from the Dogpatch Tavern; you could hitch a ride into Hagerstown on Rt. 40. Hagerstown is a small city.
I believe the little town of Smithsburg is a few miles down Rt. 17(Wolfsville Road); the AT crosses Rt. 17. Turn left at that crossing. I remember a hiker I ran into who walked to Smithsburg, went to the grocery store, and returned; the Ensign Cowall Shelter is only a short distance north of the Rt. 17 crossing.

Mini-Mosey
04-27-2003, 14:12
Whoops--sorry about that double post--I didn't think it was working the first time--