PDA

View Full Version : Nylons

HIKER7s
09-22-2006, 07:52
Has anyone heard of wearing nylon stockings (as in guys and gals) in cold weather for heat insulation. I would think they would tend to keep sweat in as well.

Seeker
09-22-2006, 13:17
joe namath (pro quarterback for the Jets back in the 70s) made a commercial for a stocking company (hanes, L'Eggs, someone) touting this very purpose. not a really 'manly' thing, but it supposedly works. not quite sure why the question regarding sweat, as there's plenty of mesh to let it out.

HIKER7s
09-22-2006, 13:37
Maybe I was thinking that they would make you sweat more.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-22-2006, 13:41
As a multi-decade veteran of wearing nylon stockings and panyhose, I can say they are indeed warm when worn under pants. They do not retain sweat. Pantyhose will keep thunder thighs from chaffing due to rubbing together (as bike shorts do).

berninbush
09-22-2006, 14:05
:-? Whenever I wear hose, I seem to sweat more, chafe more, and feel colder (when they get soaked in sweat then exposed to cold air). They also feel like they're restricting my circulation. But then I think the hose I get are usually very cheap and made of cotton.

I hate them. With a passion. Can't imagine wearing them hiking. But to each their own.

ShakeyLeggs
09-22-2006, 14:09
Back in my Army days when I was stationed in Korea I heard that they would keep me warm. I was skeptical until I tried it. All my platoon mates got a chuckle out of it until they tried it. They do work at keeping you warm.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-22-2006, 14:12
:-? Whenever I wear hose, I seem to sweat more, chafe more, and feel colder (when they get soaked in sweat then exposed to cold air). They also feel like they're restricting my circulation. But then I think the hose I get are usually very cheap and made of cotton.Those 'hose' are called cotton tights and they are awful.

berninbush
09-22-2006, 14:20
Those 'hose' are called cotton tights and they are awful.

;) Maybe I just need to shop in higher-class places. Most of my wardrobe comes from Walmart.

Doctari
09-22-2006, 20:26
I wear Winteralls from Leggs, have done so "forever". Since switching to a hiking kilt, am thinking of getting "flesh tone" ones, so I don't look weird(er).

LOL :p

Anyway, they keep ME warm, don't carry anything else for my legs cept my rain/town pants, that I have never worn.

Doctari.

Farr Away
09-22-2006, 22:06
Nylons do keep you warm, but I don't think I'd want to try wrestling with them on a hike. Silk long underwear don't have to have much more bulk/weight than a pair of nylons, and they're easier to get on. I used to live in very, very upstate New York, and I wouldn't have been without them. Might be a little too warm for hiking, though - unless you were wearing them under a kilt/skirt.

K0OPG
09-23-2006, 12:06
after 20 years in the military, and many trips to the woods, yes they keep you warm and in the summer/fall time frame, they keep the ticks and chiggers off you as well. to each his own.

Doctari
09-23-2006, 12:52
Nylons do keep you warm, but I don't think I'd want to try wrestling with them on a hike. Silk long underwear don't have to have much more bulk/weight than a pair of nylons, and they're easier to get on. I used to live in very, very upstate New York, and I wouldn't have been without them. Might be a little too warm for hiking, though - unless you were wearing them under a kilt/skirt.

If I used a size that fit as intended it would indeed be, , , unpleasant to get into, but I "fit" size large, on the trail I wear Xtra large or larger, so slide in easily. I would love to wear silk, but cannot afford it. the underalls last several hundred miles, specially since I rarely wear them.

Doctari.

mike!
09-23-2006, 15:36
Sahalie sells these for men, I've heard good talk about them in the UL forums, never tried them yet... i am curious though. they are made for men to, so i will probably save the tags to defend myself from cross dressing jokes in group hikes :D http://www.sahalie.com/jump.jsp?itemID=212&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C4%2C26&iProductID=212
Anyone wear these types of nylon into the winter/early spring? warm enough under windpants below freezing?
thanks!
mike!

Blissful
09-23-2006, 19:29
I'd think silk long underwear would do the same thing and be more comfortable. And less of a pain to get on.

My dh used nylons for reenacting once to wear under these breeches. He said they killed him. :)

Seeker
09-24-2006, 17:09
I wear Winteralls from Leggs, have done so "forever". Since switching to a hiking kilt, am thinking of getting "flesh tone" ones, so I don't look weird(er). Doctari.

ROTFL:D

(i can't get that image out of my mind...)

atraildreamer
09-30-2006, 07:12
Don't ask...don't tell! :eek:

I heard that the military types used nylons to shine their shoe/boots.
I tried it, they work pretty well in developing a high shine.:sun

How they went from shoe shining to wearing them is beyond me!:-?

blackbishop351
09-30-2006, 09:58
I'm just.....LMAO!!!! I'm not even gonna comment here, it's WAY too easy! :D

Dances with Mice
09-30-2006, 10:09
Don't ask...don't tell! I heard that the military types used nylons to shine their shoe/boots. I tried it, they work pretty well in developing a high shine. How they went from shoe shining to wearing them is beyond me!Maybe a personal example would help:

My wife found a pair of them in my gear after I came back from a week-long Field Training Exercise. I've been wearing them ever since.

Weldman
10-01-2006, 19:07
Back in the 70's, some divers including my instructor worn nylons. Maded it easier to get the wetsuit on and off instead of baby powder ( messy)

Mike

atraildreamer
10-02-2006, 11:49
Maybe a personal example would help:

My wife found a pair of them in my gear after I came back from a week-long Field Training Exercise. I've been wearing them ever since.

So where did she stick them? :eek:

johnny quest
10-02-2006, 18:13
when i was teaching privates in the swamps at camp legeune we would wear panty hose in the winter and summer.
in winter they offered a bit of extra warmth without adding the bulk and weight of those nasty military longjohns.

in summer they kept the ticks from taking up permanent residence. they still might bite but the dont get a grip. peel right off with the panty hose.

this is a no ****ter....after one day of ambush patrols in the swamps i pulled off over 20.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-02-2006, 18:47
I wear Winteralls from Leggs, have done so "forever". Since switching to a hiking kilt, am thinking of getting "flesh tone" ones, so I don't look weird(er). You need these for under the kilt (http://images2.nordstrom.com/images/store/product/medium/161799.jpg)

jlb2012
10-03-2006, 07:38
You need these for under the kilt (http://images2.nordstrom.com/images/store/product/medium/161799.jpg)

I am usually respectfull toward those people who wear kilts on the trail or dresses too for that matter BUT if I saw someone wearing those ahhh hose I would burst out laughing right in their face unless I was too whoped from a long day