PDA

View Full Version : 1st night in the hammock

landcruzr
09-22-2006, 17:47
I'm leaving in the morning to try my first night on the trail in a hammock- bringing a small party out on the section here in CT, and they will have a shelter or tents available to them- I'm reallylooking foward to trying this thing out for real!
Will post the results when I return after the weekend!-thanks toall for the suggestions and advise:)
Hope to see you all on the trail someday
Landcruzr

FanaticFringer
09-22-2006, 18:18
As Neo would say "Happy Hangin To Ya"

peter_pan
09-22-2006, 19:52
Enjoy your first hanging...There is nothing like a good hanging...

Pan

landcruzr
09-25-2006, 07:03
Well, I'm back- I absolutely enjoyed hanging in the hammock for the night- but I am still on the learning curve-
I used a self inflating mat and it kept sliding around inside the hammock-
?? will ccf pads do the same?? or should I try an underquilt-
and apparently I hadnt gotten all the stretch (=sag) out of the material before setting out on this trip, because I ended up with a little more than I would have liked- but I've been told that will stop stretching with time-
other than those two issues, I thought it went very well- and cant wait to try it again
I know there are a million threads on pad vs quilt- so I will look them up instead of asking the same question again-But Iwould appreciate thoughts/ comments on stopping the pads fron sliding around- if can be done?
Thanks
Landcruzr

Hammock Hanger
09-25-2006, 08:06
I know there are a million threads on pad vs quilt- so I will look them up instead of asking the same question again-But Iwould appreciate thoughts/ comments on stopping the pads fron sliding around- if can be done?
Thanks
Landcruzr

I think I am one of the only hammockers around who has no problem with an inflatable type pad moving around in the hammock. Mine must be well trained! -- Most hammockers use close-cell foam pads.

hammock engineer
09-25-2006, 08:41
Welcome to the crowd. I am in the process of getting a pad ready for my upcoming hike next month. I have an underquilt and will have a pad. The underquilt is nice alone in higher temps, with my bag used as a top quilt when the temp gets lower, and I add the pad when the temp gets below the 30's in addition to clothes worn. I like this setup because the pad is not as comfortable as the hammock without the pad. This way I only need a pad when the temp gets real low.

I was looking for a way to get really low without the use of a pad. But after reading a lot on here and other sites and talking with a few people, it is not a vivable option. A pad seems to be the cheapest/lightest/easiest way to add heat and wind resistance to the bottom of the hammock.

highway
09-25-2006, 09:02
...I used a self inflating mat and it kept sliding around inside the hammock-
?? will ccf pads do the same?? ...But Iwould appreciate thoughts/ comments on stopping the pads fron sliding around- if can be done?
Thanks
Landcruzr

First dont inflate it at all and try that. I just underinflate my 3/4 thermarest (a lot) and it seems to work

peter_pan
09-25-2006, 12:57
Welcome to the crowd. I am in the process of getting a pad ready for my upcoming hike next month. I have an underquilt and will have a pad. The underquilt is nice alone in higher temps, with my bag used as a top quilt when the temp gets lower, and I add the pad when the temp gets below the 30's in addition to clothes worn. I like this setup because the pad is not as comfortable as the hammock without the pad. This way I only need a pad when the temp gets real low.

I was looking for a way to get really low without the use of a pad. But after reading a lot on here and other sites and talking with a few people, it is not a vivable option. A pad seems to be the cheapest/lightest/easiest way to add heat and wind resistance to the bottom of the hammock.

There are under quilts that will take you to single digits and possibly below....plus they can be combined....Think of under quilts like bags...different ones or combinations as the temp requirement lowers.ie summer and winter.

Pan

hammock engineer
09-25-2006, 13:08
There are under quilts that will take you to single digits and possibly below....plus they can be combined....Think of under quilts like bags...different ones or combinations as the temp requirement lowers.ie summer and winter.

Pan

Sounds like something I will have to look into. Thanks for the correction.