PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Boots for expected wet times

virtualfrog
09-22-2006, 20:01
Howdy,

I just started my section hike of the LT this week (daggum, is that trail hard!), and found out my waterproof boots are not only less waterproof than I desired, but take *forever* to dry out.

Now, as far as I can tell, the LT is pretty much consistently muddy, and often rainy. So, I'm not looking to simply get more waterproof leather boots that will still hold water when they get wet. I'm not ready for sandals yet either. I am looking for some cordura/mesh/synthetic mid-height boots (support loads up to 30lbs) w/ Vibram soles which won't hold water (i.e. unlined, closed cell foam inserts). Made in the USA/Europe would be a big big plus.

Any suggestions?

Sly
09-22-2006, 20:23
I'd go (and have) with trail shoes or trail runners. They don't get as wet or as heavy when wet and dry quicker.

Try New Balance or Merrells. Although they're American companies it's not likely you find any shoe manufactuer still making shoes in the US.

virtualfrog
09-22-2006, 21:39
I would, but I need the added support from the boots due to my ankles.

JJB
09-22-2006, 22:12
The REI(Framingham Ma.) in my parts were blowing out the Asolo GTX Stingers for a $130 in the butt ugly(one word?) green color. Nice boots. Did the LT section just north of of Mansfield last week end and they did all right with about 25-30 on my back. And once they got all muddy the ugly ass green color didn't mean a thing.Peace. J.B.

SGT Rock
09-23-2006, 00:53
Why not just get an ankle brace?

Mooselook Marty
09-23-2006, 07:35
I asked the same question that you did on another forum, after my Gore-Tex boots wet out on a 13 mile dayhike on the Long Trail in pouring rain. The predominant advice was:
a. Only rubber boots will keep you truly dry. Gore-Tex will wet out eventually, especially if there is standing water on the trail, which you will find on the Long Trail after heavy rains.
b. Wearing plastic bags on your feet will keep you dry, provided you don't puncture them hiking.
c. Seal Skinz socks also work, though not everyone finds them comfortable.
d. Many use Trail Runners and forget about staying dry. You indicated that this is not a preference, however.

Regards,
Marty

StarLyte
09-23-2006, 07:39
I'd go (and have) with trail shoes or trail runners. They don't get as wet or as heavy when wet and dry quicker.

Try New Balance or Merrells. Although they're American companies it's not likely you find any shoe manufactuer still making shoes in the US.

MOST definitely with Sly on this.

You must surrender to the elements sometimes......

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-23-2006, 08:28
For most people, trail runners are the answer, but not for all. My orthopedist explained to me that I needed to wear boots rather than trail runners with ankle braces because the one-piece construction was vital to the proper alignment of my foot and ankle in relation to each other because the muscles that normally support the joints above (knee and hip) are damaged or paralyzed.

I use a boot made by Hi-Tec (http://www.hi-tec.com/category.php?categoryId=18) that has a lot of non-waterproof fabric panels and is lightweight for a boot. It does not hold water as most boots do and dries almost as quickly as my trail runners did. If you have a genuine need for this sort of footwear, this line might be worth considering.

virtualfrog
09-23-2006, 09:51
Thanks Frolick....that's very similar to what I'm looking for...it's not getting wet that's the problem, but boots that dry out fast enough so I'm not slogging in my own little lake all day long. I've been using a cheap pair of Hi-Tecs that I bought on sale at Big5 about a year ago...I might just order up this pair of more expensive ones.

Footslogger
09-23-2006, 10:06
In order for a boot to provide enough support to protect "weak" ankles it would have to be so rigid that it might not be all that comfortable for hiking. Plus, in order for the materials used to provide that type of support I'm guessing that they wouldn't lend themselves to drying very fast if it did get wet.

I agree with Sly. Your best bet would be a durable low cut trail shoe. The key thing is to make certain whatever shoe you get has a thick outsole to protect the undersuface of your foot. The shoe will get wet but the lighter weight upper material will dry out a lot faster than that of any boot.

'Slogger

virtualfrog
09-23-2006, 18:20
Foots - trail shoes simply aren't an option. Maybe if I were doing some of the trails back in Cali, Michigan, or 'Dacks, but where I'm hiking lately, I'm having a hard time avoiding twisted ankles in boots. Shoes make the problem worse for me. I'm just looking for 1/2boots w/ the same materials as the trail runners...synthetics/mesh that will dry quickly.

Outlaw
09-23-2006, 18:41
I'm just looking for 1/2boots w/ the same materials as the trail runners...synthetics/mesh that will dry quickly.
I agree the synthetics/mesh type materials will dry quicker, but they're not going to provide the support you are looking for. Basically, the material provides just too much lateral flex, especially in a half-boot design. If you go this route, I suggest a lace-up type ankle support that has rigid stays in the anterior and posterior sides. If you follow my suggestion, than it really doesn't matter whether you wear a boot or a trail runner. Also, do you use hiking poles? They take a lot of the strain off the ankles.

Blissful
09-23-2006, 19:26
Foots - trail shoes simply aren't an option. Maybe if I were doing some of the trails back in Cali, Michigan, or 'Dacks, but where I'm hiking lately, I'm having a hard time avoiding twisted ankles in boots. Shoes make the problem worse for me. I'm just looking for 1/2boots w/ the same materials as the trail runners...synthetics/mesh that will dry quickly.

I have a weak ankle and wear the Solomon GTX mid level. They are Goretex lined, but I like them.

Honestly, the best thing to do with weak ankles is to make them stronger. So start stretching your ankles and calves. Get a wobble board and work with them. There are also numerous strengthening exercises you can find online. You might also consider Physical Therapy if you have the money.

MAD777
09-25-2006, 13:20
My wife and I both have gore-tex, mid-height boots that we slog through mud and they stay dry, are comfortable and protect from rocks and roots. Mine are Montrail Comp XCR and my wife's are Vasque Breeze XCR, both mid-tops.

However, as far as ankle support, my ankle goes over every now and then in spite of the mid-height (fortunately, I'm very good at shifting weight and recovering). So, for ankle support, my experience makes me agree with the thought in many posts in this thread that for ankle support you need to go the whole 9 yards with high, stiff lace-ups or an ankle brace.

Mooselook Marty
09-25-2006, 18:22
While I agree that Gore-Tex boots handle muddy trails, there is no way they will sustain themselves through a 45 degree, driving rain with ankle deep water running down the trail. Those are the conditions that I encountered early last June.

With the water table still high on the Long Trail, a heavy rain will certainly cause the conditions that I described above.

Outlaw
09-25-2006, 21:31
I have a pair of Vasque Sundowners GTX that just killed my feet. I've switched to trailrunners and my feet haven't been happier... rain, mud, whatever mother nature dishes out, my feet are alot happier now than when I wore the Sundowners.

trail ronin
12-09-2006, 02:16
I have a pair of Vasque Sundowners GTX and I love em. I keep alot of Nikwax on them and use Outdoor Research gaiters worn under my rain pants and they never get wet on the inside.

warraghiyagey
12-09-2006, 03:34
I left Katahdin with a pair of leather Vasque Heavy Hiking trail boots. It's too bad they were comfortable, had great traction and kept dry early on because by the time i finished Maine I knew I'd never buy from them again.
I walked through the streets of Dalton Mass. with flopping soles that I had been trying yo keep together since Andover Maine. I expected to get at the very least 600 miles out of them but in reality they were shot after 250.
It was disheartening when I was around hikers who had sneakers that held up better and longer.
This year I'll be looking for much less expensive, lightweight mid ankle with Vibram and expect nothing except possible buying up to four pairs by the time I hit Springer.
If there are any suggestions on this type of boot I'm open to any suggestions.
Peace

Blue Jay
12-09-2006, 12:14
Honestly, the best thing to do with weak ankles is to make them stronger. So start stretching your ankles and calves. Get a wobble board and work with them. There are also numerous strengthening exercises you can find online. You might also consider Physical Therapy if you have the money.

This is exactly correct. No boot in the world can hold you up, your ankles do it. Yes a completely ridgid ski boot could hold you up, but hiking is extremely painful. There is no quick boot fix for weak or injured ankles

MOWGLI
12-09-2006, 12:20
Regarding "weak ankles", if I had $1 for everytime someone told me they had them, I'd be able to buy all new gear. While some folks who have suffered an ankle injury may indeed have weak ankles, I think that in most cases;

(a) People underestimate their physical abilities
(b) People fall for this excuse, and go with it - because its easy.
(c) People have weak ankles, or think they do, because they spend too much time on the couch.

I share this because I have BADLY sprained both of my ankles many times, but hike with a 40# pack wearing trail runners regularly.

highway
12-09-2006, 12:33
Weak ankles is a catchall that many parrot without really considering what they are saying. Its a peculiar anomaly at best. 'Ankle support' as applied to footwear is a misnomer. 'Ankle support' is some kind of external brace one obtains separate from any shoe. What they probably meant to say is arch support.

Both my feet have been operated on 3 times putting them back into some semblance of normalcy. My missing heel on left foot was taken from my hip and rebuilt. Bones (some)in both ankles have been fused together. So, I should qualify for the 'weak ankle' syndrome, if one really existed, yet i hike mostly in sandals and have also carried more than 40 pounds on them, although I have gotten smarter than that lately.

Sandals and trail runners work considerably better than heavy boots. It is so peculiar why so many are so predjudiced against their use, particularly without having even given their use a fair try.