PDA

View Full Version : MSR Simmerlite Stove

rainmaker
04-25-2003, 21:47
I realize this stove has only been on the market for a few months but, does anyone have any pro or con information they would like to share? What about burn time at maximum output ? Thanks.

Though the stove has only been out for several months , does anyone have any pro or con experiences with it they would like to share? Thanks.

Mala
04-27-2003, 22:56
I saw one this morning. Seiko has one and he said it worked great. I am buying one as soon as I can. It sure looks good to me. I will keep you informed.

Streamweaver
04-27-2003, 23:59
I just got the new REI Catalog yesterday and they have the MSR Simmerlite for $89.95 I dont know how that compares to other outfitters prices but I just thought Id mention it. Streamweaver

RagingHampster
04-28-2003, 09:05
Unless you're hiking with 3+ people, or plan to do winter hiking, I would suggest that you look/tryout some alcohol stoves. Then spend the $85 you save on some nice Titanium Pots/Utensils.

rainmaker
04-28-2003, 22:42
For clarification, my wife and I are section hikers, hiking about 200 plus miles per year on the AT . We made it to Damascus last November. Our hiking style would definitely not be called ultra lite. We begin every day with a hot breakfast and coffee. At the end of each day we have our evening coffee after washing our face and hands with warm water. After supper, no ramen or mac and cheese, we like to kick back with a cup of hot chocolate. In other words we use a lot of hot water . about a gallon per day. We presently use a Coleman 442 . It works well but I am considering the Simmerlite to save 15 oz. For us simmering is a must. Thanks.

Mala
04-29-2003, 01:33
Well I went to get a simmerlite and the 90 dollar price made me do a double take. Very over priced. I am going to shop around. If anyone finds a lower price please let me know. RH, alcohol is not for everyone because everyone does not hike the same hike.

I carry 45 pounds and my friends call me an ultraliter. I know that Pirate, Wee Willie, and Baltimore Jack carry more than 60 pounds. Take to them about cutting down. OH by the way between the four of us we have more than 50,000 At miloes between us.

RagingHampster
04-29-2003, 09:48
Just trying to give suggestions, don't worry mala, I'm a strong advocate of hyoh.

If you use that much hot water, than you definetly need a gas stove (lol!). But as far as simmering is concerned, white gas is about the worst fuel to do this with. Alcohol is much better at applying gentle heat. With the excpetion of hot water to bathe with, Alcohol would definetly get the job done easier, lighter, and probably just as fast considering setup & cleanup time, especially for only 2 people.

I own a whisperlite for winter-camping (melting snow), when hiking with 4+ people, and for tailgate BBQs (to boil Corn). If you definetly need hotwater to bathe with, and don't like solarshowers (platypus bag w/shower spout), then the Simmerlite would probably be a great choice, but I wouldn't count on making a good risotto :D

kythruhiker
04-29-2003, 11:01
I've yet to find it for cheaper than $89 bucks, but I'm going to go ahead and grab one as a replacement for my Dragonfly. MSR advertises a "quiet" flame - wonder how true that is, compared to the jet engine quality of the Dragonfly...

Ed