PDA

View Full Version : Fall hike, need plus sized warm clothes

Tamarack
09-23-2006, 08:32
Hello,

I'm still farily new to the list and still a newbie to hiking. I've never hiked in fall, done lots of tent car camping in fall. Just not hiking. I'm going for 4 days in SNP in late October. I've only hiked in summer. I know I need warmer clothes. Right now I have a polar flece button up long sleve shirt, polarflece nightie, polarflece pants, nylon(untreated) pants, cotton long jons, cotton/polyester blend pants and tops. Everything else I own has cotton in it somewhere. I'm a rather large woman, like 3xl so finding anything in my size ladies or mens is a challenge. I've got rain gear covered, except for some kind of rain protectant on my shoes. I'm going to get a touque and some thinsulate mittens when I go north of the border in two weeks. So my questions include; What type of fabric/material should I be looking for? (I know cotton = bad)
Am I going to need to give up one of my limbs to have a piece of clothing with this fabric? (or just sell the car? or one of my kidneys?)
Where might I find said clothing items? (I'm rather disapointed with REI's selection of plus sized clothing, there must be some where else?)
What about shoes/boots that aren't rain/waterproof, what do you do about that? (just pack extra socks?)
I've never let my size slow me down or determine what I can or can't do. I have no health concerns. But I think having the 'right' clothing will make the trip more enjoyable. There's nothing worse than crawling into my sleeping bag at night, colder than a flea on the nose of a polar bear, spending hours awake in the bag trying to warm up. I have had hypothermia before (rather bad spout of it, not severe but borderline) it was not fun, I deffinitly don't want that again.
Boys; I would not be offended if you did reply to this thread, however I have chosen to put it in the ladies forum as the other ladies may be more knowledgeable with the where to get it part of my questions (really the most valuable question). Along with any tips the gals may have.;)

Thank you again,

Gaiter
09-23-2006, 12:31
unfortunatly the guys are the best to respond, its impossible to find outdoor clothes in plus size, see the some of the other forums on plus size clothes, most of us have to get mens clothes.
I've written some companies to complain about the lack of plus size clothes available, but I just get automated reponses, if i get any response at all. Once these companies see that there is a good market for plus size outdoor clothes and that they can completely overcharge us (as if they don't already) I think they will start making plus size clothes
duofold has up to 2xl in mens and they have some good base layer clothes. moving comfort has great sports bras in large sizes, but campmor doesn't carry their larger sizes so check out moving comfort's website for places to get those from.
as far as warming up in sleeping bags, in some situtations your clothes can take away from the efficency of your sleeping bag, if its really cold, take off your clothes, allowing the air exchange to happen directly btn. your skin and sleeping bag, you will warm up faster that way.

Pringles
09-23-2006, 22:01
Hi,

Junonia (http://www.junonia.com) sells activewear in women's plus sizes. You need to pay attention to whether it's cotton or synthetic, as they sell comfy clothes as well as exercise-type clothes. I just looked and they have convertable nylon pants in sizes up to 6X. Their stuff can be kind of expensive, though. (OK, I'm cheap.)

Cabela's, and I assume Bass Pro, often have larger sizes for women, and certainly have larger size items for men.

In the category of "more affordable," Sportsman's Guide (http://www.sportsmansguide.com) often has large sizes of things like convertable pants, supplex long sleeved shirts, and long underwear. They often sell a variety of long underwear that is surplus from various armies in Europe... sort of a long underwear world tour. On the other hand, they have a line of items called "Guide Gear," or something like that, and I've used those convertable pants and shorts for years. They have held up well for me.

sarbar
09-24-2006, 12:31
LLBean. They carry the main items for women in the outdoors in up to 3X.
PS: Down is a better choice if you can afford it :) It is just comfier!

Dancer
10-09-2006, 10:10
Thanks for the link Beth! I got a Junonia catalog and the moved. I can't find it now and haven't been able to remember the name exactly. They do have good workout, active wear. I am heavy and need to get out and do something about it before I head South in June. Thanks again!

Dancer
10-19-2006, 10:54
Went to SAM'S this weekend and saw that they have a 'silky' long sleeve polyester tee and zipup hoodie up to 2X. I'm going back this weekend and pick up one of each and trail test them. Had nice colors too, pink, white, black and an aqua green/blue. The sides were 'meshed' slightly, looked like they might vent well.