PDA

View Full Version : Digicams with viewable LCD in sunlight?

vaporjourney
09-23-2006, 09:52
I've currently got a 3 MP Canon that is begging to be replaced. The Canon seems to be ok, although I'm pretty unhappy at times with its color reproduction. Anyhow, one extremely irritating thing about it is that it is nearly impossible to use the LCD in sunlight. Only after taking a pic, and then turning my back to the sun can I see it. If the small digicams allowed you to use the viewfinder without cropping the image, that wouldnt be an issue. Is this an issue with ALL lcd screens, or primarily just Canon products? If someone knows of a different brand that makes lcd that you can see in the sunlight, i'm all ears.

bigcranky
09-23-2006, 11:22
The Pentax waterproof cameras are pretty good. Like most mini-digi-cams these days, they don't have a 'real' viewfinder, just the LCD screen. It's plenty bright enough under most conditions, though you might need to shade it with a hand in direct sunlight. The screen dims out very quickly to save battery strength, but a half-press of the shutter brings it back. The pictures are quite decent for a camera that will fit in your shirt pocket.

I just had it outside to check, and under bright skies it's great. Dragonfly said to mention that if you wear polarized sunglasses, they will interfere with the screen, but I suspect that's a problem with any LCD.

zr700
09-24-2006, 15:39
Sony Cybershot