PDA

View Full Version : camping along the NJ section

MattC
09-23-2006, 17:47
hey guys, i've recently got the ATC guide books for NJ, and it says the first shelter from the DWG is 26 miles!!! Since thats way to much for a first timer, im wondering if camping is allowed along the trail in the southern section.

saimyoji
09-23-2006, 17:55
About 4 miles up from the Dunnfield Creek parking lot is backpacker site #2 at which you can legally camp with no reservations. Just hang or box your food as bear activity in the area is high. After that is the NOC at which you can camp or rent a room. Its a great hike, have fun. :D:banana:banana

ezdoesit
09-23-2006, 17:56
MattC,
You could stop about 10 miles or so at Camp Mohegan or go on to Cat Fish fire tower and camp there. At the fire tower are good camp sites.Now you have two choices either stop at Camp road which leads to Camp Mohegan and get water then cook and continue on or get water at the spring 0.6 miles south of the tower.Hope this helps you out.:)
Also when are you going out for your hike? And for how long?

Jack Tarlin
09-23-2006, 18:01
Sure it's permitted, except in a few high-use places like Sunfish Pond, and also it's restricted to certain places in Parks like High Point. But otherwise, there all all sorts of places to camp. Just be aware that there isn't a lot of water on the Trail in Jersey, and also, this is bear country, so take precautions.

MattC
09-23-2006, 18:06
Me and my friend are doing are first section hike, were gonna be leaving from the DWG on Oct 20th. Hiking all day Friday, Saturday, and a half day on sunday. Were trying to do about 15 miles a day, maybe a little less depending on were we can camp.

A-Train
09-23-2006, 22:21
Be aware there are some sections where camping is not allowed. One is near Blue Mtn Lakes Road, and I believe the 3.5 miles north of there. Many people camp at Mohican Outdoor Center, as mentioned, Catfish Firetower too. A good spot to tent is a mile or less south of Blue Mtn Lakes Road. There are many flat spots and if you tent on the east side of the trail, there are some good views. Note the YMCA also allows hikers to camp in their shelters if need be. When you get to Blue Mtn Road, the camp is across the road. Take the camp road for about a mile to the shelters.

North of this section, well you are really supposed to only be at shelters, and this isn';t a problem as they're plentiful in this stretch.

Toolshed
09-24-2006, 13:27
I agree the old woods road that the AT follows to Blue Mountain Lakes (BML) Road has some wonderful flat areas to camp, but you do need to make sure you are not close to BML Road. A great place to camp also is about 4 miles beyond on top of rattle snake mountain. There is a beautiful flat area right behind the peak (I beleive there was an old road that went up there years ago) and much better than Brinks Road Shelter. Make sure you fill up with water inthe HemlockGrove before you start the short hike up the mountain.

Also there is a good stream right after you cross Rte 206 - I don't recall it being in the guide as a water source.

MOWGLI
09-24-2006, 14:49
hey guys, i've recently got the ATC guide books for NJ, and it says the first shelter from the DWG is 26 miles!!!

I walked the 26 miles after leaving town at 11 AM! But I was in thru-hiker shape at the time. And I was meeting my wife at High Point SP the next afternoon. That's a powerful incentive.

Catfish Firetower is sweet. Mohican Outdoor Center is nice too. Whatever you decide - enjoy!