PDA

View Full Version : WB Secret Sign?

Bravo
09-24-2006, 09:16
So what's the WhiteBlaze secret sign?

How do we recognize one and other on the trail? While passing another hiker on the AT you could always ask, "Hey are you a WB member?" It works but its pretty boring. We're a unique group that deserves more than a trail interrogation about WB. We need something special. A handshake, code word, dance, eye twitch. You get the idea.

Bring on the suggestions!

I just added a poll. Vote Early and Vote Often. You've got 3 days!

highway
09-24-2006, 09:37
It want work in cold weather

Tamarack
09-24-2006, 10:05
wIb wIb

acronym for white blaze, the extra I in the middle being the white paint on the tree.

MOWGLI
09-24-2006, 10:21

How do we recognize one and other on the trail?

It's the tattoo.

Bravo
09-24-2006, 10:22
It's the tattoo.

You might be on to something.

dixicritter
09-24-2006, 10:53
It's the tattoo.

LOL... Oh man that's funny!! Thanks I needed that this morning.

In answer to the question... hmmmm... I'm fresh out of ideas. ;)

Frosty
09-24-2006, 10:54
What about sewing a WB patch to your pack?

Lilred
09-24-2006, 11:02
just order yourself one of ATtrolls whiteblaze hiking shirts. That oughta do it.

Trillium
09-24-2006, 11:54
just order yourself one of ATtrolls whiteblaze hiking shirts. That oughta do it.
are they available now? do I miss the ntocie?

Trillium
09-24-2006, 11:54
are they available now? do I miss the ntocie?oops; make that notice.

Cuffs
09-24-2006, 12:47
The Yahoo women's hiker group has a colored ribbon tied to their packs so they can recognize each other...

What about something similar? As our name (WB) implies, why not just a simple white ribbon?

StarLyte
09-24-2006, 13:26
It's the tattoo.

Hey Mowgli did you do that or did FD whip up something special for ya?

MOWGLI
09-24-2006, 14:45
Hey Mowgli did you do that or did FD whip up something special for ya?

That's my handiwork. So you see, I can walk and edit photos. Just not at the same time.

Outlaw
09-24-2006, 15:37
What about sewing a WB patch to your pack?
But then you have to pass the other hiker, turn around, check for the patch, then say, something profound like, " hey, how's it going, fellow Whiteblaze member?" Kinda of cumbersome, don't you think?

No, we need a something reconizable from a distance, yet still as two hikers approach one another. How about a unique looking WB bandana? Could be worn on the head, around the neck, or perhaps tied onto a pack strap. May be it could have two :banana :banana sandwiching a WB logo on it. Just a thought.;)

Alligator
09-24-2006, 15:41
White ribbon on shoulder strap, on the D-ring?

Patch on the pack if you like too.

Tha Wookie
09-24-2006, 15:44

How do we recognize one and other on the trail? While passing another hiker on the AT you could always ask, "Hey are you a WB member?" It works but its pretty boring. We're a unique group that deserves more than a trail interrogation about WB. We need something special. A handshake, code word, dance, eye twitch. You get the idea.

You mean you don't already know it? I mean.... what secret sign?

MOWGLI
09-24-2006, 15:44
People need to post more photos - especially of themselves. When I'm at Trail Days, a Ruck or the Gathering, I often recognize folks from their journal photos or WB photo gallery images.

Of course, this is not much of an issue for men, and I can understand why some women would refrain from posting photos of themselves.

Cuffs
09-24-2006, 15:48
People need to post more photos - especially of themselves. When I'm at Trail Days, a Ruck or the Gathering, I often recognize folks from their journal photos or WB photo gallery images.

Of course, this is not much of an issue for men, and I can understand why some women would refrain from posting photos of themselves.

Not trying to zing your idea Mowgli, but thats exactly why I had to remove my pic from my WB profile... I was getting unsolicited emails, pm's, and messenger IM's... Sad that it has to be that way.:(

MOWGLI
09-24-2006, 15:49
deleted copyrighted image

MOWGLI
09-24-2006, 15:51
Not trying to zing your idea Mowgli, but thats exactly why I had to remove my pic from my WB profile... I was getting unsolicited emails, pm's, and messenger IM's... Sad that it has to be that way.:(

Well folks like me don't have to worry about that. I've been told I have a great face for radio. :p

saimyoji
09-24-2006, 16:20
Exactly the reason I don't post pics of myself or family. Any idiot could tell you guys are dangerous just by spending 5 min. reading posts here. :D:banana:banana

I bet you all believe I've spent time overseas too....:-?

MOWGLI
09-24-2006, 16:24
. Any idiot could tell you guys are dangerous just by spending 5 min. reading posts here. :D:banana:banana

I bet it took you 20 minutes to figure that out.

Alligator
09-24-2006, 16:30

Of course, this is not much of an issue for men, and I can understand why some women would refrain from posting photos of themselves.Does this mean you won't recognize me again:) ?

MOWGLI
09-24-2006, 16:35
Does this mean you won't recognize me again:) ?

Quite possible. Especially if you're sitting on a mountain bike again. ;)

mweinstone
09-24-2006, 16:38
walked into neels gap. 20 hikers staying . big guy on floor i never saw befor sitting quietly. i walked up and asked,... minnisota smith? and he replied,.. at your service. and i said,.. im from white blaze do you wanna guess who i am? he asked,...so and so?,... so and so? ,... and i was like,... nope,... matthewski,.... and he said hi!

rickb
09-24-2006, 18:01
One could just work "No sniveling" in to the conversation.

Of course, this might not go over so good as "hello" when passing a hiker with a heavy pack on the steep.

AbeHikes
09-24-2006, 19:34
How about something like a "three finger salute"? Hold up three fingers to make a "W" when greeting on the trail.

max patch
09-24-2006, 19:49
How about something like a "three finger salute"? Hold up three fingers to make a "W" when greeting on the trail.

Great idea! Show your support for "W"!!

strnorm
09-24-2006, 20:09
The wb patch is ok, but i think a white ribbon would be more noticeable on the pack strap. my vote, i will be wearing the patch and the ribbon

mweinstone
09-24-2006, 20:27
solar powered computer with wireless web connection in most shelters? 1 to 3 years.

ShakeyLeggs
09-24-2006, 20:27
I will be wearing the ribbon on my pack. Just got a brand new Osprey Cresent 70 and don't want to sew anything to it just yet. I might after it has a few hundred miles on it though.

Earl Grey
09-24-2006, 20:30
What about a gang sign? You could do the west side sign with your right hand and then on your left make a lowercase b by making the okee-dokee sign backwards against your chest. lol Then when you see hikers you could flash it to them and if they look perplexed then youll know theyre not on the Wb but if someone sends you one back then you can say your name on here.

Lugnut
09-24-2006, 22:37
Whenever I encounter any hikers long enough for any more conversation beyond "hey" I always ask if any are WB members. Except a few at Hardcore I almost always get blank stares. Guess there are a lot more hikers that we thought. We need a better PR program. :banana

Tamarack
09-24-2006, 22:54
a three finger solute, uhh wouldnt that be a little too close to the scouting sign or the snide remark read between the lines? I like the white ribbon idea, gang thing yeah ok that'd work too. why not say "hi WIB"

MedicineMan
09-24-2006, 23:14
so what's next in the move to make WB a cult after the secret sign?
maybe one of the elders can come up with a ritual?

SGT Rock
09-25-2006, 02:44

Well most of us are pretty dang ugly on this site. So when someone that looks good gets here some idiots don't know how to act correctly. I never saw the picture myself - but I don't imagine you were doing anything special.

It is a shame some people's mamma's didn't raise them better.

SGT Rock
09-25-2006, 02:53
How about the Vulcan hi sign except with the thumb out so it makes a W - and the secret hello would be "Did I hear some whining?" and the response would be "No Sniveling!"

Hammock Hanger
09-25-2006, 08:17
How about the Vulcan hi sign except with the thumb out so it makes a W - and the secret hello would be "Did I hear some whining?" and the response would be "No Sniveling!"

Some of the post on this forum do make my morning...

Footslogger
09-25-2006, 08:57
It's the tattoo.
===============================

Let me know when the final votes are in and I'll add the secret logo to my AT tatt.

'Slogger

Creek Dancer
09-25-2006, 09:38
:banana :banana Our secret sign should be none other than doing the banana dance!

Fiddler
09-25-2006, 11:13
None of the above. If it's a secret, you can't let anybody know.

Hammock Hanger
09-25-2006, 11:18
Just pass gas as they are approaching or just passing. They will immediately realize you are a another WB member. (Completely full of hot air.)

StarLyte
09-25-2006, 11:20
Just pass gas as they are approaching or just passing. They will immediately realize you are a another WB member. (Completely full of hot air.)

HA HA

Well if that's the case, we'd better keep it a secret!

.....and if you passed gas when you passed us.....you better keep it a secret! ;)

Daddy Longlegs
09-25-2006, 11:53
I think that a white ribbon would work but after some time on the tail I do not think that the white ribbon would be white anymore.

What about painting a small spot on a trekking pole or a sticker? It would be pretty easy to spot.

alanthealan
09-25-2006, 12:05
I usaully mistake WBers as thru hikers, cuz they hike smarter (small packs, etc). Not that thru hikers are smart.

RadioFreq
09-25-2006, 12:26
:banana :banana Our secret sign should be none other than doing the banana dance!

My body suffers enough abuse on the trail without subjecting it to that!

Gray Blazer
09-25-2006, 12:41
after some time on the tail I do not think that the white ribbon would be white anymore.

Yeah, after some time on the tail, that ribbon is definitely not going to be white.:banana

hammock engineer
09-25-2006, 12:44
How about when we approach another hiker, we stop and do our best neo pose. Everyone on WB should reconize that.

Tin Man
09-25-2006, 13:28
How about when we approach another hiker, we stop and do our best neo pose. Everyone on WB should reconize that.

We could paint one of these :cool: on our cheek.

sherrill
09-25-2006, 13:44
How about asking "Are you Minnesota Smith?" :D

SGT Rock
09-25-2006, 14:15
Well we already have our signs all along the length of the trail. Talk about mass advertising. We didn't even have to put them up ourselves.

TJ aka Teej
09-25-2006, 15:20
Well we already have our signs all along the length of the trail.

82 thousand of them!

Vi+
09-25-2006, 17:07
“How do we recognize one and other on the trail? ... We need something special. A handshake, code word, dance, eye twitch.”

Why don’t we begin to wear clothes while hiking. Well, most of us anyway, most of the time.

Skidsteer
09-25-2006, 17:12
Yeah, after some time on the tail, that ribbon is definitely not going to be white.

True, if the ribbon is cloth.

We could use the white tape used in label makers. Easy to wipe off the dirt and U.V. resistant.

Tractor
09-25-2006, 17:51
Keep it simple. A white something somewhere. No dances, no gestures, no intentional farting, no tatoos. Heck if we're not careful we could end up with someone else's secret whatever and be mistaken for KKK or Trustifarians or whatnot.......

Outlaw
09-26-2006, 10:12
[quote=Tractor]Keep it simple. A white something somewhere. /quote]

What about the hiker trailing TP stuck to the botton of their shoe? :eek:

One Leg
09-26-2006, 11:38
How 'bout we moon one another... That ought to be a dead giveaway for WBers, as it's about as civil as some of the threads on here..

max patch
09-26-2006, 11:58
Based on the interest this website has with MS, I suggest that when you spot another hiker you immediately take a whiz on the trail. The other hiker, if a WB member, will reply with a fart in your face. Conversation shall then begin.

SGT Rock
09-26-2006, 12:18
I'll pass on that one.

jlb2012
09-26-2006, 12:21
putting a white strip on your pole sounds to be the best choice

Alligator
09-26-2006, 12:23
putting a white strip on your pole sounds to be the best choiceNot everyone uses poles.

Gray Blazer
09-26-2006, 12:28
How 'bout we moon one another... That ought to be a dead giveaway for WBers, as it's about as civil as some of the threads on here..

The best one so far. I'd almost vote for this.:banana

Lugnut
09-26-2006, 12:39
putting a white strip on your pole sounds to be the best choice

That may be considered indecent! :cool: You go first.

Gray Blazer
09-26-2006, 12:40
That may be considered indecent! :cool: You go first.
Hiking pole....doh!!

Heater
09-26-2006, 12:49
I wish there was a Whiteblaze hat. :(

hammock engineer
09-26-2006, 12:58
How about we all dress only in white. White clothes, shoes, hat, poles, pack. Then we can be giant white blazes. Although that might not be fun in winter. And we might be asked where the Gwar concert is.

SGT Rock
09-26-2006, 13:13
I wish there was a Whiteblaze hat. :(

I know what you mean. That is why I got one made for me custom like ;)

But a good idea would be to get a WB patch if Troll still has any and put it on your hat of choice.

Tamarack
09-26-2006, 13:56
why not just put a wide white ribbon on you hat from front to back so people can see you're a white blazer from the front, from the back and the birds will know who you are before they aim thier poop at you.

Cuffs
09-26-2006, 15:02
I still think the ribbon idea could work... just buy a couple yards of it (wally world has it, any craft store...) cut it up, tie one on your pack, and put the remaining strips in your drop boxes... Youd have a new, fresh, white "blaze" to put on every few cities, no dirty ribbons to worry about...

Jack Tarlin
09-26-2006, 15:14
Gosh, maybe we could all wear the same shirt!

I'll supply Sly's, Wookie's, F.D.'s, Mowgli's, Teej's, and Weary's!! :D

http://gallery.backcountry.net/Trail-Days-2006/HPIM3853

MOWGLI
09-26-2006, 15:16
Gosh, maybe we could all wear the same shirt!

I'll supply Sly's, Wookie's, F.D.'s, Mowgli's, Teej's, and Weary's!! :D

http://gallery.backcountry.net/Trail-Days-2006/HPIM3853

Jack, I haven't picked on you in a while. But my left eye is starting to twitch. ;)

TOW
09-26-2006, 16:04

Bring on the suggestions!

Maybe we could come up with our own sign language like the gang bangers do...................

Bravo
09-26-2006, 16:48
If you haven't voted yet go vote. I just added a poll. Poll closes 9/29.

Tamarack
09-26-2006, 16:51
Oh boy I"m the first to vote. I feel so special :D Go White ribbon, White ribbon, White ribbon, I like White Ribbon

saimyoji
09-26-2006, 17:29
I bet it took you 20 minutes to figure that out.

No it took me about 6 months of lurking before I got really scared. Then I joined up!

I voted for mooning, but there's one problem, what if you mooned someone at the cog railway and they thought you were mooning the cog? Then you might get coal thrown at you even though you were really just saying hello. :-?

How about a whiteblaze tatooed on your butt? Then you could moon with clarity. :D

Tin Man
09-26-2006, 20:10
HELP! While this is being settled, what should I do? - I am starting my annual section on SATURDAY! :rolleyes:

Tamarack
09-26-2006, 20:22
Just do a little of everything. Do the white ribbon on everything you own, the sweater sleeves, hats, pant legs, pack, poles etc. when you come accross another hiker and they dont recognise who the heck you are, start doing the gang sign(vulcan W followed by thumbs up lowercase b pating chest) while "did you hear some whining?" if the other person is still looking at you like you're on some new experimental narcotic psychiatric drug, continue the greeting by mooning while farting and if they still havnt clued in, strip and run away! run forest run!

Tin Man
09-26-2006, 20:39
LMAO!

About 10 steps into our section hikes, we like to stop and say "do you hear that? no whining women, no whining kids."

otterman
09-28-2006, 10:27
How about...are you sitting down?....a white blaze. You could paint it on, sew it on, or just use a strip of that white tape that comes in a first aid kit.

Mr. Clean
09-30-2006, 09:31
How about asking "Are you Minnesota Smith?" :D

Very funny, I'm still chuckling. This one gets my vote.
:banana :banana
(sorry, had to do the banana...)

Bravo
09-30-2006, 09:49
Well the results are in. It looks like White Ribbons. Wear them with pride!

prozac
09-30-2006, 14:58
How about a white rubber wrist band? I've seen them for every other cause. Would be highly visible anyway.

Outlaw
09-30-2006, 17:26
How about a white rubber wrist band? I've seen them for every other cause. Would be highly visible anyway.

I was thinking along the same lines. Perhaps it can have the new WB logo (click below) on it. That way there is no mistaking what the band's "statement" is.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/image.php?u=8&dateline=1154535483

rickb
09-30-2006, 21:12
The only down side I see to the white wristband is that it be confused with the one proclaiming chastity/abstinence :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wristband

But that might not be such a bad thing on the Trail.

Bettter than a white flag tied to your pack during deer season

:eek:

SGT Rock
10-01-2006, 00:03
I just wear the T-shirt and hat. If someone cannot figure out I am a member from that, the white ribbon won't help LOL.

Tamarack
10-01-2006, 00:06
just wear all white, if they think your a large walking sperm then you can just correct them by saying I'm a walking white blaze.

attroll
10-01-2006, 00:58
I also wear a WhiteBlaze hiking shirt and I added the WhiteBlaze sticker to my hiking polls as seen in the attachment here.

Heater
10-01-2006, 01:03
just wear all white, if they think your a large walking sperm then you can just correct them by saying I'm a walking white blaze.

...or a walking "pink blazer". :eek: :D

bfitz
10-01-2006, 06:56
Ha! I've been doing that all along!
Jolly Rogers instead of the white bandanna?

Jaybird
10-01-2006, 07:46

Man...i thought it was the WB patch stapled to the forehead!
Darn....:D

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=2795&catid=member&imageuser=656

hey LilRedMG...when you gonna update your TRAILJOURNAL?
would like to see how the hike story ends!

Trillium
10-01-2006, 12:49
Man...i thought it was the WB patch stapled to the forehead!
Darn....:D

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=2795&catid=member&imageuser=656

hey LilRedMG...when you gonna update your TRAILJOURNAL?
would like to see how the hike story ends!
how can I get me one o' them thar patches. me likee. :banana

Heater
10-01-2006, 12:57
how can I get me one o' them thar patches. me likee. :banana
http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=store