PDA

View Full Version : If Katahdin is closed due to weather

Namaste
09-24-2006, 19:49
I'm new to this website and am absolutely addicted to it. Thanks to everyone for providing such valuable information.

I was wondering what happens if a NOBO finds Katahdin is closed due to weather (before Oct. 15th). Does the entire park close meaning you can't even wait it out at Chimney Pond? What about Katahdin Stream?

TJ aka Teej
09-24-2006, 19:56
What closes are the the hiking trails, and at the trailheads - not treeline. There's already been three or four Class 4 (closed due to weather) days so far this month. AT hikers can stay at Katahdin Stream (there's probably spots), wait outside the Park at the state campground at Abol Pines, or stay in Millinocket until the Mountain opens again. Only once in the last several years did the whole Park have to close before Oct 15th due to snow, and they were open again less than a week later. Remember that Oct 15th date is just for the overnight camping, the Park can stay open to day use well into November.

max patch
09-24-2006, 20:22
When I reached K it was a class 4 day. Me and one other thru stayed that day and the next in the park. All the other thrus went to Millinocket to await the opening. The next day was still a class 4, however, the rangers, after inspecting our gear, gave us permission to finish. It was a great way to finish. We were the only 2 hikers on K, and although it was cold, the sky was a beautiful blue that went on as far as the eye could see.

Blissful
09-24-2006, 21:25
The next day was still a class 4, however, the rangers, after inspecting our gear, gave us permission to finish. It was a great way to finish.

What gear did you have that allowed you access? Just curious.

max patch
09-24-2006, 21:49
What gear did you have that allowed you access? Just curious.

Just normal thru hiker gear. 20 degree bag, waterproof shell, sweater, long johns, tent. This was the first week in October. Ranger said that they didn't know how icy it was, and if we made it then they would reopen K the next day. Basically, we hiked it to determine conditions instead of them. We were required to carry our full packs, because the rangers said that if we fell and broke a leg or something they couldn't get us until the next day -- and if we had to spend the night on K we wouldn't survive without proper shelter and clothes. Having the mountain to ourselves was the perfect ending to our trip.

ed bell
09-24-2006, 22:14
Having the mountain to ourselves was the perfect ending to our trip.Great memory to have Max. Real cool.:sun