PDA

View Full Version : Western Mountaineering ultralite super

flagator
09-24-2006, 20:54
Hey all. I'm planning on purchasing this particular bag in the next few days. I know they are very pricey but are also very highly recommended. It is rated at 20 F and I hear their rating are modest. Just wanted to make sure that this is the best decision and I wanted to hear from anyone who might actually own this particular model. I live in FL, but i can always sleep on top of it here and be warm on the AT. my only concern is that I might regret not going with the 10 F bag or warmer, because there are some late snow storms in march and even april I know. Thanks!

mweinstone
09-24-2006, 21:07
at 1 lb 12 oz's your bag has 14 oz's of fill. that means its half shell weight. i think you can do better than 5 inches of loft for your temp rateing

mweinstone
09-24-2006, 21:15
for a hundred dollars more you get 850+ fill down, 15 temp rate and an eq waterproof shell with way more loft and a better design. marmot helium eq 15 is the pup.449.00$ stuffs smaller. is better. agree or die.

flagator
09-24-2006, 21:22
well its 1lb 10oz, for the regular version. And I don't understand the figures regarding down, but I understand the marmot is better. Whats interesting is the waterproofing, although I'm a little skeptical about that being true.

Kerosene
09-24-2006, 21:22
Wearing your dry clothing to bed, including a beanie cap, plus being well fueled and hydrated, should be sufficient to keep you warm down to 10F in a 20F WM bag for those few nights in early Spring when it might get that cold.

Natchez
09-24-2006, 22:47
Marmot is not a full zip. I do not think it will be any warmer but I do think it is roomer. I like a full zip so you can use it as a quilt when it is not real cold. Western bags hold up well to water I saw a guy pour a water bottle on one no wet down.

Every Blessing

Jan LiteShoe
09-24-2006, 23:00
Hey all. I'm planning on purchasing this particular bag in the next few days. I know they are very pricey but are also very highly recommended. It is rated at 20 F and I hear their rating are modest. ...snip ... warm on the AT. my only concern is that I might regret not going with the 10 F bag or warmer, because there are some late snow storms in march and even april I know. Thanks!

I carried this bag in '03, a very wet year. I left March 1st, ran into snowstorms as late as mid-April (around Erwin, TN.). I was never cold, and there were nights in the teens. It's my Number One favorite piece of gear, like carrying a portable heater. It's a lifetime bag, treated with care. The loft is unbelievable. Re: numbers, 850+ down is first-class, superb for insulating "fluff." Temp evaluation is probably underated slightly.

I sent it home in mid-Virginia after Trail Days (often very chilly up till then). The WM Ultralite will be too hot for a summer bag, I promise. I swapped out for a lighter (45 degree bag) and used that to Maine. I used my silk liner when the mosquitoes got bad and it was hot out.

The advice about eating, drinking , keeping a dry set of clothes and wearing a balaclava or such is also excellent advice. Best of luck. (My Long Trail hiking partner lives in Jacksonville, he may be re-starting an AT thru next year. He started SOBO but broke a bone descending Katahdin. He's experienced and could shoot the bull with you about gear, etc - PM me if you want his email - or, show up at the Long Trail talk at the Gathering).

River Runner
09-24-2006, 23:08
I love my Western Mountaineering Ultralite. I've slept in it toasty warm down to 20 F. Mine has 2 oz overfill, which will boost the temperature rating a few degrees. The quality is topnotch.

MedicineMan
09-25-2006, 00:45
that if you are in a tent it will be around 8-10 degrees wamer inside...

flagator
09-25-2006, 00:48
Yeah, that makes sense. And yes I do use a mountain hardwear skyledge. So I guess a 20 F bag would do the trick. And for some reason it possible gets close to zero, I'd probably manage to survive. Thanks for the comment Medman, and the rest of you.

Scorpion
09-25-2006, 18:24
I left Springer on March 10th, and used a 30 degree bag, a WM Megalite. There were some nights at or a little below 20, but I never had a problem with my WM bag. If I thruhike again, I'll probably use the same bag.

Scorpion GA-ME 04

Jerm
09-25-2006, 23:48
I have a WM UltraLite and my wife has the Marmot Helium. They are both great bags. I have three WM bags and I have slept in all three below the recommended ratings and have been comfortable.

To add to the differences mentioned above the Helium does not have a draft collar at all. While the UltraLite that I have does not have a full filled draft collar, the new UltraLite Super does. I personally think the EQ version of the Helium mentioned above is overkill.

If you are interested hearing about fill power 800 vs 850, listen to the podcast at http://www.trailcast.org/.