PDA

View Full Version : Gathering-any other women going?

Tamarack
09-25-2006, 00:23
Hello,

I'm getting excited and a little shy about going to my first gathering. Just wondering if any other women hikers will be there. I am hoping to be there friday, if not, I'll be there on Saturday. I've read the tread started by sly about the gathering and judging by names I can only see one woman going. I would like to put faces to names. :D

Hammock Hanger
09-25-2006, 08:19
I'll be there with another woman. Don't worry we will only be out numbered 2 to 1. -- I look forward to meeting you. Not sure I would be able to pick you out in a crowd as I've never seen you, but I'll check out name tags.

Sue/Hammock Hanger

StarLyte
09-25-2006, 10:39
Hello,

I'm getting excited and a little shy about going to my first gathering. Just wondering if any other women hikers will be there. I am hoping to be there friday, if not, I'll be there on Saturday. I've read the tread started by sly about the gathering and judging by names I can only see one woman going. I would like to put faces to names. :D

Lots of women will be there! A LOT of women from the yahoo WomenHikers list will be there.....I know there are women from this site going....HH, Sawnie, myself, eArThworm, Liteshoe, MrsGorp, Peanut, many others. If you really would like to know, start a special thread.....why not?

And BTW, when you register with ALDHA, you'll see name tags there, fill one out, put your Trail name/Whiteblaze name/etc on it. We'll find each other I'm sure. I'm camping at the Folklife Center, and I will always have a pot of coffee going, if I'm not there, it will be sitting in a pot cozy....help yourself and leave your name where you're camping at. I will have a large tent and a large beige octagon shaped canopy next to it, my trail name posted.

See you soon!
Marsha
"StarLyte"

eArThworm
09-25-2006, 11:49
As StarLyte said, Ol' eArThworm will be there. I'll be working at the Registration Table all day Friday, so please look/ask for me and identify yourself. I'll be happy to meet you! I'll be camping at Pipestem State Park. I still remember my first Gathering--how friendly people were and how interesting the workshops were. Hope you have a great time.

Tamarack
09-25-2006, 18:54
Thank you all, another question while checking out the website http://www.aldha.org/gathring.htm I couldn't find out where to register for the gathering. So do I just show up? what to do.

Hammock Hanger
09-25-2006, 19:21
Thank you all, another question while checking out the website http://www.aldha.org/gathring.htm I couldn't find out where to register for the gathering. So do I just show up? what to do.

I couldn't fine anything either, so I am guessing it is too late for pre-registration and we will have to do it there.

StarLyte
09-25-2006, 19:26

Yes, you will register at the Gathering. There will be several people there to assist you. You can register online, but it would require printing out a .pdf form, then mailing it in, so just it do when you get there.

The ALDHA/Gathering registration will be in the University Gymnasium at Corcord University, Pipestem WV. As a matter of fact, the University Gymnasium will be the nerve center for the ALDHA event. The classes, forums, presentations, (dance?) and group photo will also take place at the college. There's a great cafeteria there too, and there is also a bbq planned for a small fee; you'll be seeing ALDHA members at the college the entire weekend long.

I can spot a hiker a mile away :D

When you register, you will receive an information packet. It will include the entire schedule, classroom locations, map, who's who, name badge, and extra stuff. You probably won't have any questions after that point. If you like, just show up at the Folklife Center - the directions are on ALDHA's website and you can always follow anyone over to the college. I usually register early at the college so I can mingle all day. You can look for eArThworm (Linda Patton) or Kinnickinic (Sawnie Robertson) at the ALDHA registration desk.....just look for two beautiful women :sun

After ALDHA events, some of us will go to the Appalachian Folklife Center or to Pipestem State Park to camp, some of us will have motel rooms, some of us will sleep in our vehicles, some of us live locally. So find your comfort, set up your tent and join in. I do know at Pipestem you cannot reserve your site ahead of time, but there's always room. There are electrical campsites, and field campsites. There are more amenities at Pipestem ;) There are many motels in town (google Princeton or Athens WV). There's also cabins at Pipestem State Park for around the same price as a motel room and you'd be closer to everyone. At the Appalachian Folklife Center, camping is $10 for the entire weekend, which can paid directly to ALDHA when you register.

Please feel free to ask any questions here or PM any of us. EarThworm knows more than I do though.....

Looking forward to meeting you.

Tamarack
09-25-2006, 22:05
Yes, you will register at the Gathering.

The ALDHA/Gathering registration will be in the University Gymnasium at Corcord University, Pipestem WV.

I can spot a hiker a mile away :D

When you register, you will receive an information packet. It will include the entire schedule, classroom locations, map, who's who, name badge, and extra stuff.

You can look for eArThworm (Linda Patton) or Kinnickinic (Sawnie Robertson) at the ALDHA registration desk.....just look for two beautiful women :sun

After ALDHA events, some of us will go to the Appalachian Folklife Center or to Pipestem State Park to camp, some of us will have motel rooms, some of us will sleep in our vehicles, some of us live locally. At the Appalachian Folklife Center, camping is $10 for the entire weekend, which can paid directly to ALDHA when you register. Looking forward to meeting you.

OK great! that does answer a lot of my questions. I still got a few more. What does the Pipestem state park have that folklife center doesn't? Also I will be going there straight from Canada and have my dog with me that weekend I would assume no pets in the sessions so any locals that you know that I could PM, that they might suggest a kennel?

Tamarack
09-25-2006, 22:08
oh and my other question was, once I get on campus of the university are there signs as to where to park and how to get to the gym?

Hikerhead
09-25-2006, 22:44
http://www.concord.edu/Pages/visitors/Pages/images/CampusMapFaxNoTrees.pdf (http://www.concord.edu/Pages/visitors/Pages/images/CampusMapFaxNoTrees.pdf)

I believe everything starts at the gym or Carter Center. Designated by the letter "O". Looks like you park in from of the football field.

Correct if I'm wrong.

<whispering> And don't tell anyone that I was here <whispering>

eArThworm
09-26-2006, 00:55
On Friday, registration is at the Folklife Center 1-5pm and Arts Center Lobby on campus 6-7pm (that’s where the Auditorium is, for the Friday evening program). On Saturday, registration is at the Gymnasium, 8am to 4pm. I strongly urge you to get there on Friday to attend the evening kickoff program. It’s THE major event, with Weathercarrot’s TERRIFIC new ALDHA DVD being shown, followed by the 25th Anniversary party with Dutch Treat’s new song especially for the event.

The fee for the Gathering registration is $10 (and the yearly dues for 2007 is $7 if you join or renew). Camping at the Appalachian South Folklife Center is free Friday through Sunday nights, included in your registration fee. You can arrive a day early and pay only $5 to camp Thursday night. Camping is also available at Pipestem State Park for $17/night w/o electricity, and there are cabins. See full rate chart for campsites and cabins at http://www.pipestemresort.com/rates_policies.html

Meals at the college cafeteria are likely to be $3.99 for breakfast, $5.99 for lunch, and $6.25 for dinner. This is AYCE, the food is good, and the desserts are yummy! There’s an ALDHA BBQ for Saturday lunch, only $5 with the coupon in the registration packet (I think $10 without it).

This information, and much more -- including the schedule of workshops -- should be available on the Gathering pages at the ALDHA website http://www.aldha.org/gathring.htm (note there’s no “e” in gathring) any day now. Stacy’s just putting the finishing touches on the information before it’s uploaded. So keep an eye out.

Hikerhead has already given you the link to the Concord University campus map. When you drive in the main gate, keep driving around the curving drive in a counter-clockwise direction, way round to the 'back' of the campus to find the gym. I don't know if there will be any signs, but I hope there are. I'm sure you'll see people walking around and you can ask them the way if you need to. On the ALDHA website, later, there should be maps of the campus and the route to the Folklife Center. Again, keep an eye out

eArThworm
09-26-2006, 01:04
OK great! that does answer a lot of my questions. I still got a few more. What does the Pipestem state park have that folklife center doesn't? Also I will be going there straight from Canada and have my dog with me that weekend I would assume no pets in the sessions so any locals that you know that I could PM, that they might suggest a kennel?

Pipestem: fewer people, regular campsites, quieter.

Folklife Center: lots of people, side-by-side tents in a field, more noise, more camaraderie, bonfire. BRING EARPLUGS if you want to sleep much. :-)

Pets: Yikes...maybe a problem. Kennels most likely a distance away. Hope someone else can answer this. Are you on AT-L or WomenHikers? If so, ask there, too.

Tamarack
09-26-2006, 17:04
Meals at the college cafeteria are likely to be $3.99 for breakfast, $5.99 for lunch, and $6.25 for dinner. This is AYCE, the food is good, and the desserts are yummy!

OK I understand BYOB but I've never heard of AYCE is this a company or an acronym?

jlb2012
09-26-2006, 17:05
All You Can Eat

Hammock Hanger
09-26-2006, 19:30
OK I understand BYOB but I've never heard of AYCE is this a company or an acronym?

acronym that every hiker loves to see!!! Mmmmm A-Y-C-E!!!:banana

Blister
09-26-2006, 20:22
Firstly, of course there will be other woman there. I believe it is 'woman' who keeps birthing the individuals living in the world. Sub-cultures exsist and backpacking is one of them. Different styles, shapes and colors. I wouldn't kennel your dog unless it needs kenneling (is that a word?) Do not try to overplan this event, absolutley come! The secret to life is to let things happen. Plan on coming, plan on learning alot, but do not overplan the details - kinda something you'll also adapt to when you get into hiking. I'm pumped for the gathering! Wahooo!

Tamarack
09-26-2006, 20:44
I wouldn't kennel your dog unless it needs kenneling (is that a word?) Do not try to overplan this event, absolutley come! The secret to life is to let things happen. Plan on coming, plan on learning alot, but do not overplan the details - kinda something you'll also adapt to when you get into hiking. I'm pumped for the gathering! Wahooo!

I guess I'm just concerned about the day time when I'll be in sessions and she'll get bored and either destroy the tent. She's very good at shredding paper (10pg term papers too!) I'm sure that nylon, mosquito netting would not be a far stretch. My other option is to keep her in the car durring those sessions with the windows down but again she is nic named Razer Beak for a reason. I might have no interior car to return to. I think she would be fine in the evening hours and overnight in the tent with me. Its just durring the day that she needs to be kenneled er go to the babysitters. She is a therapy dog in training so some places (home depo, hardware stores, nursing homes) I can get her in just fine. Classrooms in a university umm dunno.

Skidsteer
09-26-2006, 20:48
I guess I'm just concerned about the day time when I'll be in sessions and she'll get bored and either destroy the tent. She's very good at shredding paper (10pg term papers too!) I'm sure that nylon, mosquito netting would not be a far stretch. My other option is to keep her in the car durring those sessions with the windows down but again she is nic named Razer Beak for a reason. I might have no interior car to return to. I think she would be fine in the evening hours and overnight in the tent with me. Its just durring the day that she needs to be kenneled er go to the babysitters. She is a therapy dog in training so some places (home depo, hardware stores, nursing homes) I can get her in just fine. Classrooms in a university umm dunno.

It may be worthwhile to post your question about local kennels in the dog forum (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=439), Tamarack.

StarLyte
09-26-2006, 20:51

There is no way I would bring a dog to the Gathering. For the dog's sake and the respect of others. I have a dog, and there's no way I would put my dog thru that. My dog loves going for rides, parks, hiking, but when it comes to events like that, he stays home where he is comfortable and secure. I've only seen one dog at the Gathering, and I felt so sorry for it. The guy had to leave it his van all day, it was very sad. Not fair to the animal at all. Everyone was so concerned about the dog too. Wouldn't you rather focus on yourself anyway at the Gathering?

Tamarack
09-26-2006, 21:06
yeah I'd love to focus on myself while at the gathering. But If I take her home I'd still have to kennel her and then it would add 10 hours of driving time to my trip. Idealy finding a place near the gathering would be the best way to drop off the 4legged kid for the weekend and pick her up when its over.

StarLyte
09-26-2006, 22:23
I wish you luck Tamarack - I know the love I have for my animals--it's a hard decision. I hope to see you there, with or without your animal friend.

eArThworm
09-27-2006, 00:24
... Idealy finding a place near the gathering would be the best way to drop off the 4legged kid for the weekend and pick her up when its over.

Using Google I found there's one kennel in Princeton, WV--the closest large town to the Gathering in Athens:

Brown Gary S DVM -- ACC -- Animal Care Center
RR 460 (1 Grand Veterinary Pl.), Princeton, WV
(304) 325-7387

Hope this helps.

dixicritter
09-27-2006, 08:01
I did a search using the Real Yellow (http://www.yellowpages.com/) pages online and came up with this in addition to the one earthworm posted above hope this helps you.

W B Kennel & Boarding House
37 Gree Acres
Princeton, WV 24740

(304) 487-6501

Good luck to you.