PDA

View Full Version : $600 to spend on GEAR...what to buy???

2009ThruHiker
09-25-2006, 09:01
I am hoping you can help me think of some things I haven't already on what gear to spend a gift of $600 on. I can add to the gear I own or even replace a piece of gear I own. Please let me know what gear you'd choose to buy/replace and why. I always hike with my wife, and the tent is a requirement (otherwise I'd love the hammock idea...do they make hammocks for two? Anyway, thanks to all willing to help me think this through.

Osprey Ather 70 pack
Black Diamond Lighthouse Tent
Montbell Super Stretch Down Hugger Bag @ 32degrees
Whisperlite campstove
Kathydin Pro Water Filter
Titanium Cookpot and Spork
First Aid Kit, 6oz.
Black Diamond Headlamp
$10.00 swiss army (cheap walmart) hiking poles

hammock engineer
09-25-2006, 09:12
I have seem hammocks for 2, but do you really want to be that close to someone after hiking all day? Some people hang 2 hammock next to each other.

Your hike is so far out that provided you are not going to be doing any long distance hikes soon, I would wait before I upgraded anything major. Who knows what gear improvements and designs upgrades are going to be coming out in the next 2 years. Or major end of season sales.

If it was me, I would use that to make sure you have all of the clothing that you need. But that is just me. But then again the clothing could wear out by then, but so could the gear.

Happy shopping.

Kerosene
09-25-2006, 10:19
I echo hammock engineer, wait until a few months before your next hike to buy new gear.

That said, you might consider a warmer sleeping bag if you want to hike in the early Spring or late Fall. I really enjoy Fall hiking. A top-notch Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends bag will run you $300+, with a 20-degree bag weighing in at 26 ounces (one ounce less than your 32-degree Montbell bag).

You might also check out an eVENT parka (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/appareldetail.cfm/ID1515) or The Packa (http://www.thepacka.com/) if you've got funds to spare. However, you can certainly get by with the equipment you have now.

bigcranky
09-25-2006, 11:32
Agreed, your equipment list looks fine. If you are like most hikers, you'll end up replacing a few things *during* your hike (good candidates are your stove and your water filter), so you might as well wait until then for any major purchases.

Besides which, except for sleeping bags, good lightweight gear doesn't have to cost all that much.

If you really want to spend some of it now, you might splurge on some wool clothing for colder weather. I ordered a new Ibex lightweight long-sleeve pullover from my local outfitter, and it should be here Friday. It's going to be my base layer for winter hiking.

I know it's really hard not to spend money, but you might find that same $600 much more useful either right before, or during your hike. Put it in an 24-month CD and reassess as your hike approaches. Either that, or start stocking up on Jim Beam....

Cedar Tree
09-25-2006, 12:56
The Packa (http://www.thepacka.com/) if you've got funds to spare.

I have a very good custom Packa on ebay now. Currently it is at $5
http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Packa-Total-coverage-for-Hiker-and-Backpack_W0QQitemZ130030014271QQihZ003QQcategoryZ1 37007QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks Kerosene,
CT

Natchez
09-25-2006, 12:57
I would not buy the whisper light I have two I never use if you want a cheep one I am your man! Make or buy a cheep Alcohol stove save over a pound I would do a Henry Shires Tarp Tent ( sweet) I sleep in a hammock they are great for one! Western M bag (I want one) I just bought a hiker water pump new for 35$ but I am glad it was cheep because I do not think I will take it on th AT ever again as Aqua Mira is so much lighter easier.. I have the Walmart sticks they work well but are heavy but for 20$

Natchez
09-25-2006, 13:02
"oops" The Walmart pole are a good value "even for the weight" at 20 dollars. I am not sure the Walmart poles will hold up to a thru-hike but they are good way to see if you like using hiking poles. If you have not done much hiking do not spend alot of money until you learn what you like on the trail.

Every Blessing

ScottP
09-25-2006, 16:06
Does this $600 include footwear? Clothes? Your list adds up to way more than $600.

Anyways, just for 'basic' stuff here is what I would use if I thru-hiked the AT again and had to re-buy everything. I would say that the most important thing is deciding what you want your thru-hike to be. Do you want to hang out a lot? do you want to hike a lot? Do you have a small or a large window to do your hike in?

What follows are my opinions, based on my style. I was a 'hare' on the AT. I'd do big milage for a week or so, then go slower for a few days, rinse, and repeat. I took some time off when I got Lyme, and took almost a month to do maine, because I didn't want my hike to end, and after I finished I went back to new hamshire to do another quick section before i went home.

70L is silly huge for a thru-hike. 25L is more than enough, maybe 30L if you'r eusing a thermarest and want nothing tied to the outside of your pack, and maybe 35L if you are using a synthetic bag. What are you using for clothes? If I were you I'd take a store-brand medium-weight polypro layer, and a western mountaineering down vest (expensive, but only like 6 oz, and damn warm). Montbell also makes them. Fleece isn't for thru hiking. it's heavy, bulky, and generally overpriced.

I would probably use this pack--I'm not sure if it closes at the top or not--I would ask first. Marmot urban hauler, 12 oz, 35$ http://marmot.com/products/product.php?cat=packs&subcat=66&style_id=I4074

If not i would (and did) use this--A stanard jansport pack

http://www.jansport.com/js_product_detail.php?cid=8&pid=T501

also 12 oz, around $30. I know you can probably cut 3+ oz off, as a back panel is silliness on such a small pack. Weighs the same as a golite bag, but without all the useless doodads, and it isn't a silnylon hunk of junk that you'll have to patch together and sew togeher on a weekly basis. You might want to sew some straps or something on to tie a sleeping pad to it.

I would reconsider on a tent--you obviously have your reasons, but consider this option:
6x10 silnylon tarp, around $60 9 oz
once bugs come (end of may, start of june in NJ for me) you can add on a $10-$15 NO-SEEUM netting for like 4-8 oz--(mosquito netting won't cut it, as I sadly learned the hard way in maine, when it was too late for me to get no seeum netting ordered on time)

Wisperlites are a terrible stove for thru-hiking. Build or buy an alcohol stove, $5, 1 oz. I actually didn't cook for most of the hike, but cooking can end up saving a good amount of money if you buy just straight up pasta, etc. rather than liptons.

I would skip the water filter. If money is really an issue, I'd use bleach (make sure not to use spring rain scented bleach, as one of my hiking buddies learned) or PolarPur, both will cost like $10, max. I used aqua mira, when I actually bothered (in GA and NC, when there were a lot of idiots who probably didn't know proper Leave no Trace, some areas in TN had nasty water, NJ-the beginning of the whites, and the swampy areas of maine)

Montbel makes great bags, but also look at W. Mountaineering. I actually sleep much better with a quilt than stuffed into a sleeping bag. Also, 32 deg. won't cut it, unless you're starting midapril. I would make Jeremy padgett's down quilt. 20 deg.something like 20 oz., $150ish, including sewing machine rental. You could probably even pay a tailor $100 to do it for you instead, and get something far cheaper than Nunutak's stuff. I actually used W. Mountaineering's twin sized quilt 35 deg. $215, 20 oz for my 'summer bag' You could PROBABLY use this and a fleece blanket when weather is cold, but sleeping bags are (as you obvioulsy seem to know) the worst possible place to try to save money.

skip the Ti Spork, save yourself the money, weight, and the hassle and get $1 lexan spoon.

Skip the pre-made, expensive first aid kit. They (rarely) have anything that would actually be useful. You might want to ask your dr. what to bring, but DUCT TAPE, athletic tape, gauze, antisceptic, moleskin, and butterfly bandages are all you probably would need.

I use a leathermn micra, but not a single time did I use it for anything that nail clippers wouldn't have worked for.

sleeping pad? I'd use a full length ridgerest and trim it into a mummy shape, and narrow it out a bit. I also skip a groundcloth.

Raingear? A waste. Get a windbreaker for most of the trail, and a moderate-duty PVC poncho or rainjacket for the beginning of the trail, and maybe the whites. sierra designs makes a servicable, cheap windbreaker.

Also, one problem I ran into when thru-hiking was taking too much advice from other people, especially section hikers. Everyone has thier own style, and every year/speed, etc. has it's own challenges, you just need to be prepared to survive the worst and to adapt to what the trail throws a you.

Almost everyone's walmart poles held up-they'll wear, but they are, for the most part, bombproof. You might need to replace them towards the end, but so what? they're cheap. While Leki's etc, may have warrinties, they only cover the shafts. Replacement tips, lugs, etc. are not covered. I used Leki's 'ultralite' thin poles, and I think that I broke a section something like 5 or 6 times and had to replace 3-4 tips. I actually ended up using one or no poles 20%+ of my thru-hike because of it.

I wouldn't recommend a tarpetent. People obviously get emotionally attached to thier gear, but those things are terrible in the wind, and have mad condensation. Lots of thru-hikers rarely actually use thier shelter, so will give you terrible advice on shelters. (I tarped almost exculsively for 70+% of the trail, until I was away from the crouds, as shelters are a tough place for me to actualy get sleep) Ponchop-tarps also suck.

I wouldn't have anything to do with feathered friends. the only person that i met got a defective one--it wouldn't loft and leaked crazy down, and FF refused to replace it, or help the thru-hiker in any way. WM or Montbell are your best options, and marmot is also good. Mountain Hardwear is also OK, but often a bit heavier and not much cheaper, and I saw some nasty looking wear on one of thier bags up in maine.

What specific pot are you using? When I cooked, I often filled my 1.4 L up to the brim, but I did heavier-milage during a few segments of the trail and so was a big eater. Anyways, you can't really go very wrong as long as you have the right size.

what kind of batteries does that headlamp use? Are they cheaply and easily replaceable? How good of light does it cast? Anyways, Petztl's Tikka served me well. I had it for 3 years before my thru-hike, washed it, and dried it without any problems. It finally cracked right before the mahousec notch, and I accidently left it in the shelter. I wasn't going to do the notch three times for a cracked headlamp, but I replaced it with the Zipka, (the only difference is the strap)
A good headlamp is something I wouldn't do without, as I think it is a large saftey item. If you are in trouble, you will likely need to hike to get to help/warmth/food/etc. and the darkness can really slow you down. Also, reading at night.

As others have said, I wouldn't by anything till around fall of 2008, if you plan on hiking in 2009. That will give you plenty of time to shop for deals and make anything you want to do yourself. sorry if my responce is only moderatley coherent, but I hope it was helpful.

JJB
09-25-2006, 16:27
Rather than the Osprey Ather 70 try the Atmos 50 and with the rest buy the best sleeping bag you can. My two cents . Peace. J.J.B.

2009ThruHiker
09-26-2006, 08:23
I appreciate everyone's thoughts and help...just a clarification: the gear listed is currently owned. Also, the pack size is due to a hefty video camera addiction (my wife and I own a production company). Also, investment sounds wise, but the equipment will be needed sooner than 2008 and 2009 for several section hikes of the AT and other trails. Again, all the info has really got me thinking.

StarLyte
09-26-2006, 09:07
I would not buy the whisper light I have two I never use if you want a cheep one I am your man! Make or buy a cheep Alcohol stove save over a pound I would do a Henry Shires Tarp Tent ( sweet) I sleep in a hammock they are great for one! Western M bag (I want one) I just bought a hiker water pump new for 35$ but I am glad it was cheep because I do not think I will take it on th AT ever again as Aqua Mira is so much lighter easier.. I have the Walmart sticks they work well but are heavy but for 20$

You're right Natchez--cheap and simple is always best.

Go with the alcohol stove, carry a few bottles of HEET, they're simple and easy to pour (yet I preach and USE esbit--always have), definitely the tent, ditch the hammock--if you want to snug with your partner you'll be better off in a bag with a nice pad, I use Sweetwater pump only because I've had it for 5 yrs and never had to replace anything on it, but I have my backup parts ready, and I use generic poles myself. You can find a lot of stuff on eBay USED, most definitely. Some hikers wait until late winter/early spring to buy their gear but I feel if you wait that long you'll pay more and low availability of certain items. End of hiking season (in most areas) is always cheaper, less stressful.

Still.....you have found a good site to hear many different opinions and hiking experiences.......and experience my friend is the only thing you'll have to go by when you make your next decision on gear.

Have fun and good luck!

Tinker
09-27-2006, 01:33
I would look for a better ventilated tent if you're doing any warm weather hiking.

I would rather hike with old downhill ski poles than brand new cheapo hiking poles.

Whisperlite stoves are fine for cold weather (I have one), but warm weather does not require you to carry such a blowtorch. Look into alcohol stoves (the Jim Woods Supercat design is my favorite), or cannister stoves (fuel is pricey, though convenience can't be beat).

Unfortunately, one sleeping bag isn't going to keep you comfortable from the minus temps to plus 70f. You'll need at least two for each of you.
The down hugger (and Sierra Designs copy) are meant to keep you very warm, snugging the insulation against you. For warm weather, you'll prefer a bag with some extra space so you can flap the top a few times and drive some of the steam out.

Tinker
09-27-2006, 01:36
My choice for a summer tent for two:

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=40

(Weight and ventilation being the most important factors to me).

Ramble~On
09-27-2006, 02:11
I wouldn't buy a thing....2009 is on the horizon but far enough out for you to KNOW what gear you want to buy...when that time comes you'll be able to shop around and pick it up on sale or used. The $600.00 I'd stick into savings and add to it between now and when you are ready to buy.

I echo the advice on the Whisperlite...I still have mine, it still works like a champ and they are good stoves but it wouldn't be my first choice.

HIKER7s
09-27-2006, 07:43
I think your gear looks good for now. depending on what you wear and tear in the time before your hike in 2009. Maybe an up grade in your winter bag (get a 0 to -10 bag) . 2009 is a bend or three down the pike yet-so, I'd just use it as you need an upgrade or replacement as you go. Remenber also clothing, boots, raingear and such item that may need replacement by then. I just think you'd do your self a favor by just banking it and marking it as hiker support funds. ;)

Peaks
09-27-2006, 08:36
I wouldn't buy a thing....2009 is on the horizon but far enough out for you to KNOW what gear you want to buy...when that time comes you'll be able to shop around and pick it up on sale or used. The $600.00 I'd stick into savings and add to it between now and when you are ready to buy.

I echo the advice on the Whisperlite...I still have mine, it still works like a champ and they are good stoves but it wouldn't be my first choice.

If you have most of your gear, and still have cash left over for upgrading gear, why not start your thru-hike, and then change out gear when at places like Mountain Crossings when you really know what you want, (not what others think you might want)

Earl Grey
09-27-2006, 09:47
You should wait until it gets closer to hike time. The reason I say this is because there may be new technology that comes out that would benefit you greatly. Synthetic warmer and lighter than down anyone? :p

Just Jeff
09-27-2006, 18:51
Which synthetic bags are lighter and stuff smaller than down for the same temp rating, Boston?

ronmoak
09-27-2006, 19:26
My choice for a summer tent for two:

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=40

(Weight and ventilation being the most important factors to me).

If you like the Europa, you'll love the Lunar Duo. Two door and vestibules, tons of head room, and ventilation galore.

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=47

Ron

Happy
09-27-2006, 20:38
Spend the $600 on a WM Ultralite/Alpinlite(wider cut if needed) 20 degree sleeping bag...it is the most important piece of gear you will ever own. Do not skimp on money here, but you CAN in ANY other area.

Forget the summer bag and just unzip (full zip) and use as a quilt in the summer or just use a silk liner on real hot nights.

After this, just select the lightest and most multi-functioned gear available, to make sure you start out as light as possible...VERY IMPORTANT!

Rethink the stove and water filter...use your shakedown hikes to try:

Aqua Mira...alcohol stove...torso size closed cell pad...layering of clothes...trailrunners...raingear...trash compactor liner...silnylon food bag, socks...and remember MULTIFUNCTIONAL!

Skidsteer
09-27-2006, 21:20
Check my thread entitled "synthetic lighter than down?!" in the general gear forum. I could furnish you a link if you're too lazy to dig it up.

And since you're too lazy to post a link to a thread you started, I'll post it for you because Just Jeff would do the same for me. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15822&highlight=synthetic+lighter)

And you're a rude bastard at times, Boston. :p

Just Jeff
09-28-2006, 00:27
So you compare two EMS bags with different features and generalize that to sleeping bags in general. Then ignore the posts about similar down bags in the 16-20 oz range and the ones about the bag you posted not keeping someone warm anywhere near the 35F range. Whatever makes you feel smart.

Anyway, like others have said - I'd spend as much as I could on the best bag possible. Whether it's synthetic or down, weight is only one consideration. Then get the best shelter to fit your style...spend the extra money to save ounces. Then the pack. Everything else is details.

Best bet - go for a hammock! :p

DrewNC2005
09-28-2006, 16:44
Another emphatic vote for a solid down bag (preferably WM or Mont-bell). I tend to side with JustJeff in that I would spend as much as I could on the best bag possible.

For your shelter, again, it depends on your style/preferences. I prefer Henry Shires' Tarptents. I know another person commented that they are bad for condensation, etc. but I have found the opposite to be true. I live in NC and frequently backpack on the AT in this state (known to have humidity and other conditions conducive for condensation) and have had zero problems with it. In terms of them performing poorly in wind, read the reviews. I haven't had mine out in a hurricane or anything, but thunderstorms and the occasional ridgeline-gust is no match for the Rainshadow model. These may be moot points if you are not at all interested in shaving weight from your current shelter, but if you are, it is certainly worth mentioning.

Your Aether 70 should be fine for a thru-hike - probably more than enough for some. I had an Aether pack before I switched to my ULA Circuit. The Aether was extremely comfortable but in the end, I didn't need the room and I was focused on shedding weight. In line with JustJeff's comment, I also suggest getting all of your other gear first before choosing the pack. This suggestion is obviously irrelevant if you are stuck on using the Aether but is helpful if you would consider changing.

Anyway, good luck and have fun!