PDA

View Full Version : Trip advice!

goblue2
04-28-2003, 13:44
I am planning a trip in Va for a week. We are starting at Jennings Creek (VA 614) and going north to Rockfish gap. Has anyone got any useful information about this part of the trail? Any advice woud be greatly appreciated. I will keep you updated on the trip plans. We are leaving October 3- October 12 2003.

Matt:cool:

Jack Tarlin
04-29-2003, 11:01
A few ideas:

Your mileage from Jennings to Waynesboro is just over 100 miles; it's certainly doable in a week.

A few camping ideas: You've got kind of a hell climb outta Jennings; for your first day, if it's short, Bryant Ridge is a spectacular shelter, if you continue to Cornelius Creek, be prepared to climb a bit.

You'll pass a side trail to Apple Orchard Falls; definitely worth the time; you can also camp near the falls if you wish.

Next day, there's GREAT campsites above and behind Thunder Hill Shelter.

As you continue, Matts Creek is a nice spot, great swimming hole under the bridge tho it may be a bit cold in October.

Following that, suggest you resupply in Glasgow, not Big Island.

Punchbowl Shelter is a very pretty spot; also good camping a bit further on at Little Irish Creek.

GREAT camping at Hog Camp Gap.

Do NOT try and resupply at Montebello---there is NO traffic on that road and you'll end up walking for miles.

Spy Rock overlook definitely worthe the detour.

Great campsites, with views just NORTH on the trail after Priest shelter.

Good campsites just past Tye River bridge after you come down from Priest shelter.

From there you're practically in Waynesboro. Celebrate at the Chinese restaurant in the center of town next to the Kroger Supermarket; absolutely the best Chinese food on the A.T.

Have a great trip!

Kerosene
04-29-2003, 12:17
Goblue2: WalkerAT99 and I hiked the section from Loft Mountain to Buena Vista last October. I'll ship you a copy of my journal if I can remember it when I get home.

You'll have a good climb up out of US-60, but Cold Mountain a few miles later is truly beautiful on a clear day. I loved hiking over that bald and Tar Jacket Ridge a little further on.

It's a good little scramble up Spy Rock, but I concur that it is worth the climb. Bring a snack and sit awhile if it's not too windy.

Make sure that you find the side trail just after The Priest Shelter to the overlook of Pinnacle Ridge and Three Ridges. Again, memorable on a sunny fall day.

Good camping at Tye River, although the road can get a little noisy with drag racers at times. I think I would have rather stayed at Harpers Creek Shelter a few miles on.

The climb up Three Ridges should be tough. I've heard a lot of good comments about the Mau-Har Trail scenery, but the trail itself is pretty tough even without 3,000 feet of elevation gain.

Cedar Ridge has a lovely overlook. Take a look at my photos from this section by clicking on the Photos button above and searching for "Kerosene".

The Paul Wolfe Shelter 5 miles north of Waynesboro looked pretty nice, but it's a very fast and easy hike into Rockfish Gap from there (it took me less than 2 hours to hike in).

goblue2
04-29-2003, 12:32
I am looking into a couple different mapsfor the trip. Any suggestions? Pros/Cons of PATC, ATC or online map companies.

Kerosene: I would really appreciate the copy of your journal. I a so pumped up about this trip:banana
I just moved to VA from OH. Living in Richmond is the best of both world 1 1/4 hours to the beach or the mountains!

Jack: Thanks for the advice. 100 miles is what we were shooting for. We will be out for 8 to 9 days possibly. So thats 11to 12.5 miles a day. We are not stopping to resupply. We are going to carry everything for the week.

The outdoors rock!!
:cool: :D

Grimace
04-29-2003, 12:41
It took us a long long time to get into Glasgow.