PDA

View Full Version : Question about Heet?

DareN
09-25-2006, 17:19
I've heard Heet mentioned many times before here for use as fuel in a denatured alcohol stove. I've been looking at Wal Mart and convenience stores as mentioned here, but couldn't find it and thought it was something just sold up North. Anyways, I think I found it. Is Heet sold as gas-line antifreeze and water remover and in a yellow bottle? If so, can I also use the Iso Heet sold next to it? Just wanted to be sure before I put a match to it. Thanks.

Footslogger
09-25-2006, 17:36
I've heard Heet mentioned many times before here for use as fuel in a denatured alcohol stove. I've been looking at Wal Mart and convenience stores as mentioned here, but couldn't find it and thought it was something just sold up North. Anyways, I think I found it. Is Heet sold as gas-line antifreeze and water remover and in a yellow bottle? If so, can I also use the Iso Heet sold next to it? Just wanted to be sure before I put a match to it. Thanks.
============================================

Yes ...it is sold as a fuel line antifreeze. Use the HEET in the yellow bottle. The ISO-HEET contains isopropyl alcohol and will smoke if used in your stove.

By the way, along the trail it is generally available in auto parts stores ...especially the NAPA stores.

'Slogger

Bloodroot
09-25-2006, 18:03
.......and many of the outfitters sell it by the OZ as well. You can use Isopropyl but as Footslogger said it will smoke and the boiling time is much longer.

DareN
09-25-2006, 18:39
Thanks a lot Footslogger and Bloodroot, that's exactly what I needed to know. Heet is kind of hard to find here in Florida, we don't have much of a need for a gas-line antifreeze :sun .

strnorm
09-25-2006, 19:00
You can also use denatured alcohol, comes in 32oz metal can you can get in paint dept at wally world or any paint store or hardware store, burns clean used for marine stoves

strnorm
09-25-2006, 19:03
By the way dont use either indoors or in a close area

Appalachian Tater
09-25-2006, 22:02
When buying HEET remember, yellow means caution, red means STOP.

There are also other brands available. Always check the label, you do NOT want any petroleum distillates, which are listed in the bad stuff.

Fiddler
09-25-2006, 22:48
Just go to a builder's supply store (Home depot, Lowes) paint store or hardware store and get S-L-X denatured alcohol (paint thinner) for a much lower cost than HEET. It comes in quarts or gallons. Virtually the same stuff. As good a fuel as you can get.

Natchez
09-25-2006, 22:52
denatured burns cleaner and smells better for me

MedicineMan
09-26-2006, 02:04
is Everclear, sold in liquor stores in Florida AND you can use it medicinally which may be important say if you get snake bit :)

DareN
09-26-2006, 15:56
Thanks for the replies. I'll definitely remember yellow means caution, red means stop. I also didn't know that I could use the S-L-X brand which is everywhere down here, so that's another option. Thanks again!

mweinstone
09-26-2006, 19:40
denatured alcohol is not paint thinner. never ever burn paint thinner. yes slx and heet are okay. never use the heet witch is iso unless there is none of the other.isopropal alcohol is slow and crappy and sooty and sucks. heet comes in two flavors methel and isopropal alcohols.the non iso heet burns faster and hotter as does everclear than slx brand denatured alcohol.using everclear has too many dangers. getting moonshine level drunk in the mountains is a fatle mistake.. buying heet on a thru is easyer than buying denatured alcohol and comes in way smaller amounts hikers can use.a quart of slx denatured alcohol takes a further walk to find and a hiker box to ditch the extra.i think the optimum max ounces of fuel to carry for me is 19. 16 in my 16 oz bottle and 3 in my trangia stove.never cook in the shelter unless its on fire outside.