PDA

View Full Version : Mount Greylock Day Hike Question

stringbean
09-25-2006, 18:16
I am going to Mount Greylock tomorrow and was wondering which trail to take. I have never been there before and I am looking at taking the Thunderbolt Trail. Time is an issue as I won't be able to get there until around 11am, but are there any other shorter trails that will have a similar difficulty level with better views?

Tin Man
09-25-2006, 19:13
I am going to Mount Greylock tomorrow and was wondering which trail to take. I have never been there before and I am looking at taking the Thunderbolt Trail. Time is an issue as I won't be able to get there until around 11am, but are there any other shorter trails that will have a similar difficulty level with better views?

If you are pressed for time, a car will get you there the quickest. :D

If you are driving around the area after your hike, follow the road through the campground. There is an awesome view at the dead end.

We met some section hikers on our section hike who were slacking down hill on the AT. When they got to the bottom, they got a ride back to the top and slacked on down the other side. (starting to sound like a song, "slack on down, slack on down, the other side" - never mind :o )

stringbean
09-25-2006, 19:26
hahaha i'm not taking a car to the summit. i'm really not that pressured i am just worried about the late start. as long as i am off the mountain before dark i'm cool. what i want to do is get the best hiking in that i can for the time that i have. how far is the visitor's center from the thunderbolt trail? i could just grab a map, hike up and take a different way down maybe.

Tin Man
09-25-2006, 19:31
Sorry, I only did the AT and do not have my maps handy. The AT on Greylock is mostly just walking through the green tunnel. And from what I could see from the open summit, the rest of the mountain looks very well treed. The summit may be the only good viewpoint.

Enjoy your hike. :sun

Blue Jay
09-25-2006, 23:26
Don't worry too much, all of the trails are very good. You can't lose, although the color is a little slow this year. Have fun.

stringbean
09-26-2006, 07:10
thanks guys i'll let you know if anything interesting happens.