PDA

View Full Version : What maps/guides should you buy?

Earl Grey
09-26-2006, 00:06
For a first timer is it recommended to get all the maps and all the guides for each state? ATCStore has the bundle for $280 which is fine but if its not needed Id rahter not buy it. I have the 2006 Companion and Data Book, should you get the 2007 version if youre thru hiking in 2007?

ShakeyLeggs
09-26-2006, 01:41
If you are a member of the ATC you can get a discounted price on the Books and maps. Also they should soon be kickin in their thru hiker special on the books and maps. I would suggest you go with the companion over handbook. Also I suggest getting the data book. In 2001 i started with the guide book for GA but sent it home and from there on only used the Companion, Databook, Maps.

SGT Rock
09-26-2006, 01:56
If you have the new Companion you shouldn't need a databook too since the added the info from the data book to the format.

Get the map set. You may not need them all the time, but they are nice to have. I also love looking at the maps.

ShakeyLeggs
09-26-2006, 02:51
If you have the new Companion you shouldn't need a databook too since the added the info from the data book to the format.

Didn't know that Top. Thanks for the info.

max patch
09-26-2006, 07:52
The thru-hiker special is around thanksgiving thru christmas. All the books and maps.

headchange4u
09-26-2006, 11:02
The last guidebook I bought came with a National Geographic Trail map (http://www.ngmapstore.com/jump.jsp?itemID=54&itemType=CATEGORY). I like these maps a hundred times better than the standard AT guidebook maps.

Jack Tarlin
09-26-2006, 14:28
The Natl. Geographic maps are handsome, and very easy on the eye, but the downside is that they don't have Trail elevation profiles in most cases, and when they do (like their Smokies map) the profiles are in such small scale, they're essentially worthless.

Blackmath: I strongly sugest you invest in a complete map set from the ATC. As others have suggested, it's available at a special price every fall; you get a further discount if you're an ATC member. Go to www.atconf.org; then go to section called "The Ultimate Trail Store" for details on maps, guidesboks, handbooks, etc.

You probably don't need the Guidebooks; very few hikers carry them. Most folks use maps with a current adition of The Thru-Hikers Companion (available from the ATC) or The Thru Hikers Hanndbook (available at www.trailplace.com). The 2007 editions of both of these books should be available by mid-January.

hammock engineer
09-26-2006, 14:32
I have the 2006 version of the guide book. Is it worth getting the 2007 version when it comes out? If not is there a place that lists the changes from one year to the next?

Jack Tarlin
09-26-2006, 14:36
2006 version of WHICH guide book? Kinda hard to tell what you're asking about.... :-?

hammock engineer
09-26-2006, 14:37
Sorry the 2006 ATC companion book.

Jack Tarlin
09-26-2006, 14:42
You'll probably be OK with a 2006 Companion as there aren't all that many changes from year to year.

On the other hand, there's always the chance that the old book will list places that no longer exist, or have changed their policies and/or prices. In that the info in the 2006 book was compiled and went to press late that year, if you're Northbounding in '07, then some of that information will be almost two years out of date by the end of your trip.

Likewise, every year, there are new businesses, hostels, etc. which of course won't be listed in the '06 book. You might miss out on a cool place because you don't know it exists.

I think one should ALWAYS travel with the most up-to-date maps and guides available; plus the revenue from Companion sales goes to the ATC and ALDHA, two very worthy organizations.

Personally, I'd buy a 2007 edition in January.

SalParadise
11-14-2006, 02:39
didn't carry the Companion, but I could definitely see that it would be nice to identify the flora along the way. Plus the town maps are definitely helpful, that not every guide carries.

My opinion of the topo maps is that they're way too much money for their benefits, especially since you gotta climb every mountain anyway. But then they'd be invaluable for section-hiking.

wow, I remember looking at those topo maps of the Whites before I hiked them, they were so scary to look at.

Gaiter
11-14-2006, 04:42
none of the guides are perfect
handbook: simple, not much extra info
companion: now combined w/ the data book has all the facts you need and a little history
both companion and handbook will tell you what direction to go in towns, major trail towns have maps as well
mapdanas: very simple, only major points (shelters, towns, water) very light. it has a map, but that doesn't feature all roads, and lacks alot of detail, another disadvantage, once you get to town you knwo that hte town has hostels and various things but no way of knowing where they are.
local guide books: have alot more detail, including switchbacks, terrain and history. disadvantage, bigger and heavier (side note: no need to carry all the guide or hand book w/ you at once, split it up, occasionally have sections mailed to you, same thing goes w/ the maps, you don't need them all at once)
maps: show topo, water, roads old and new. if something where to happen sometimes its a safe feeling to know where things are in relation to you. Many if not all (i'm not familiar w/ the maps above va) have elevation profiles, which help you plan a realistic day.

Jaybird
11-14-2006, 06:30
For a first timer is it recommended to get all the maps and all the guides for each state? ATCStore has the bundle for $280 which is fine but if its not needed Id rahter not buy it. I have the 2006 Companion and Data Book, should you get the 2007 version if youre thru hiking in 2007?

Read all the maps & books before you leave....then LEAVE them @ home....:D

the A.T. is very welled BLAZED....just follow the BIG WHITE BLAZES!

if you still insist on taking maps, etc....tear out the pages for each section...then mail the other section maps, etc to you in your mail drops..

Good luck with yer hike!

Peaks
11-14-2006, 09:03

if you still insist on taking maps, etc....tear out the pages for each section...then mail the other section maps, etc to you in your mail drops..

Good luck with yer hike!

Generally well blazed. However, miss one blaze at a critical intersection and you could be screwed.

I met a few thru-hikers last summer in the woods, but off the AT because of reduced blazing in a wilderness area. They didn't have a clue where they were.

Carry the maps. It's irresponsible not to do so.

hopefulhiker
11-14-2006, 12:17
I carried ripped out sheets of Wingfoots book, internet printed off sheets of the companion, and the mapdannas, sometimes my wife even sent data via pocketmail... Also carried year old map set off of E bay... only carried two or three at a time..

Amy Drew
11-14-2006, 12:19
No maps or books needed....you just need to follow the white blazes:cool:

Amy Drew
11-14-2006, 12:20
No books or maps needed - just follow the white blazes!

Amy Drew
11-14-2006, 12:20
purist????no!

Jack Tarlin
11-14-2006, 12:37
This question comes up every year, and has been discussed here in detail previously. If you do a Search on "Maps" you'll find all sorts of discussions.

It is certainly possible to hike the A.T. without maps and many folks do so.

On the other hand, they are extremely useful for planning your hiking days and schedule, especially when one uses the elevation profiles, which will generally provide you with a good idea on what each day's hiking will be like, difficulty level, where the big climbs are during the day, etc.

There are, of course, all sorts of other good reasons to carry them, the main one being that it is foolish to be in unfamiliar backcountry without them.

The weight factor is negligible as you're generally only carrying a few maps at
a time. The main reason people forego maps is to save money; personally, I think there are much better ways to trim your budget than by skipping maps, and I think everyone should carry them. Also, it is a simple truth that folks who opt not to purchase and carry them invariably borrow them from others at every available opportunity, or sneak quick peeks at other people's maps, which frankly, gets annoying after awhile. It is a VERY rare mapless hiker that does not do this, and thru-hikers should try to be, at all times, self-sufficient.

A hiker wouldn't dream of borrowing a stove or bumming clothes, food, or anything else from another hiker, unless of course it was an emergency situation. Relying on other hikers EVERY DAY for help because one was too cheap to purchase vital gear/equipment is unacccaptable.

If you believe that maps are useful items, and if you expect to use and rely on them during your trip, then you should purchase and carry your own.

saimyoji
11-14-2006, 12:45
Maps are only necessary if you care about being able to know where you are and whats around you at any point. For example, if I didn't care about the camp sites, springs, access roads or short cuts to civilization (and help if I need it) then I wouldn't carry maps. I do care about these things, so I do carry maps.

The PA maps redone in 1998 are excellent. You should urge your local clubs to reproduce maps of this quality. I'm never without a map, even on a day hike. I also use them to teach my hiking partner(s) about map reading and whats around us. So hard to see the forest despite all those trees sometimes. :D

Oh, yeah...if you don't have a set, just ask me, I'll point you in the right direction: toward the ranger station to buy a set. :eek: :D

Lone Wolf
11-14-2006, 12:58
No maps or books needed....you just need to follow the white blazes:cool:

Say you're in Mahoosuc Notch and your husband falls and cracks his skull. Which way do you go to get help? Where's the nearest road? No maps or books needed.

Lone Wolf
11-14-2006, 13:19
I bet y'all had medical insurance though. Kinda useless if you have no idea how to get out of the forest.

emerald
11-14-2006, 20:28
Now that the A.T. route is no longer constantly changing as it was when I hiked the A.T. in the early 1980s, it should be possible to purchase and/or sell used maps as college students do textbooks. If money's tight, they are other ways to save as Jack mentioned.

REBELYELL
11-17-2006, 10:45
Well put Jack and quit lookin' over my shoulder

Blissful
11-20-2006, 12:14
Try hiking in freshly fallen leaves after a wind storm with the trail obscured and the blazes infrequent or barely recognizable. I'm glad for my maps then. Even on a clear trail, one of our party got off trail on a separate trail while going down a hillside and was lost for twenty minutes. The blazes in VA in some areas are not that frequent.

Maps and a whistle.

Jack Tarlin
11-20-2006, 12:22
Just a reminder, if you go to the "Ultimate Trail Store" section of the ATC website (www.appalachiantrail.org) you'll see that they are presently running their annual map/guidebook special: ATC members can get the ENTIRE map and guidebook set for $190.00; if you just want all the maps, the member's priceis $165.45. As the non-member price for map/guidebooks is $286.45 (or $206.90 for just the maps), this is a good deal.

weary
11-20-2006, 13:25
There are several reasons for carrying maps:

Maps provide fascinating information for those of us who are curious about the country we are walking through, like the names of the surrounding mountains, where intersecting roads lead to, and location of streams, water supplies, and other landmarks.

When one wanders off the trail -- as most hikers do occasionally -- maps help in getting us back on safely and quickly.

Occasionally accidents happen even on the "well marked" Appalachian Trail and when they do some of us find it useful to have a few clues about where to find help, either for ourselves or another hiker.

On stormy days if you study a map long enough you can generally find a plausible excuse for staying in camp while conditions improve.

The purchase price -- even the sale price now in force -- provides important revenue to ATC for its job of maintaining the trail and lobbying for the trail.

Weary

josh litt
11-27-2006, 03:41
I plan on hiking the virginia part of the trail this winter starting in mid december and need maps. on the appalachiantrail.org site the total cost comes out to 79 dollars and there were 9 maps....is that really neccessary?

Wanderingson
11-27-2006, 07:23
I am a firm believer in topo maps. I carry mine in waterproof pouches or ziplock bags and refer to them often.

No map will do you any good if you have no idea how to read it. Topo maps are a wee bit different from reading a road atlas.

Sure I could rely on following the blazes, but why?

Map reading and land navigation are two essential skills any one should know when venturing from the trailhead. After all just about EVERY 10 essentials list I have seen has both a map and compass listed.

Here is a free resource to assist anyone desiring to advance their knowledge on map reading and land navigation.

http://www.map-reading.com/

Lone Wolf
11-27-2006, 07:49
I plan on hiking the virginia part of the trail this winter starting in mid december and need maps. on the appalachiantrail.org site the total cost comes out to 79 dollars and there were 9 maps....is that really neccessary?

is health insurance really necessary?

DawnTreader
11-27-2006, 11:19
is health insurance really necessary?

I hope not, I can't afford hiking and health insurance at the same time.. what a country we live in.... millions of americans don't get proper health care because they can't afford it... I'm moving to Canada.. did I just say that?

peanuts
11-27-2006, 12:23
thanks for the link wonderingson, i realized a few months back that my skill are non-existant, since i have not used them since my late teens/twenties...

SalParadise
11-27-2006, 18:14
I hope not, I can't afford hiking and health insurance at the same time.. what a country we live in.... millions of americans don't get proper health care because they can't afford it... I'm moving to Canada.. did I just say that?

One problem I discovered with my insurance that I didn't realize after the fact, is that it didn't cover emergency room visits. Ridiculous, I know, and what hiker's going to wait two weeks for an appointment.
Just wanted to say that so that if you do get insurance, it's something to double-check. And don't sign that awful "agree to pay" form they give you before you go in for treatment.

Hospitals are the only business I know where you use their services and THEN they tell you how much it will all cost. Next time I'm asking for an estimate and will refuse to pay for any overruns.

Boat Drinks
11-27-2006, 18:25

Good luck with yer hike!

I was wondering, why do we need the maps? Are they simply a luxury are do they really make the experience much better? I was hoping to get away with the Companion only. Mostly because I have made notes in it regarding things I have learned from you guys like, "Do not miss Ms. Janet's" or, "You really must camp at this vista" etc...

Jack Tarlin
11-27-2006, 19:04
There are any number of good reasons to carry maps, and only one poor reason NOT to, and that's to save money.

*Maps will tell you where you are in the world, what lies ahead of you, what
is behind, and what is to either side.

*Maps will reveal geographic features and knowledge that may prove very
useful: They will tell you where roads are, and where roads and side paths
lead. They'll tell you whether or not one will be going up or down hill, or
where there is likely to be reliable water that isn't listed in your guidebooks.

*The elevation profiles will greatly assist your daily trip planning: They'll tell
you where you can likely do a big-mileage day, and likewise, they'll tell you
where it'd be foolish to attempt one. They'll help give you an idea of how
many hours a particular stretch will take to hike, which will greatly lessen
the chances of you falling short of a shelter or road, or running out of
daylight because a stretch took longer than you'd anticipated.

*The maps and elevation profiles will be essential during the planning stages
of your hike, when you're trying to figure out how much food to carry for
particular stretches of Trail. For example 70 miles of Southern Maine is
VERY different from 70 miles of Central Virginia, and a study of the profiles
can help give you a better idea of what one's daily mileage is likely to be
in each section.

*If you like to get your big climbs out of the way early, before it gets too hot,
the maps will provide this information. Likewise, if you don't want to deal
with a big uphill late in the day when you're worn out, the maps will also tell
you about this, so you can plan the end of your day accordingly. With
maps, you have a lot fewer surprises, and you have the option of saving a
bad climb for the next morning if you wish. Without maps, you're blind, and
have only a very rought idea of what the Trail in front of you is like.

*If you want to find a good place to see a beautiful sunrise, sunset, or
meteor shower, the maps will help tell you.

*In an emergency situation, the maps will tell you how you can get out of
the woods or mountains with minimal effort....they will tell you if side trails,
roads, or streams will lead you in the right direction....or the wrong one!
They'll tell you if that jeep track actually leads somewhere, peters out, or
makes a circle. Without a map and the ability to read one, you have no idea
what lies to either side of you, and in an emergency situation, your choices
are basically limited to retreating back down the Trail to a known road
crossing; hiking ahead to the next one; or waiting for rescue. Having a
map in an emergency gives you all sorts of options, and will help you make
an informed, intelligent decsion on how to handle the emergency.

*You'll always know where the "bail out" points are, which is very useful if
you or a friend is hiking ill or injured, and the possibility exists that you might
need to get off the Trail in an unanticipated spot. Likewise, if you have an
emergency situation at home (expectant partner, sick relative, etc). it can
be VERY useful to know where the roads/towns/phones are located if you
have to leave the Trail in a hurry.

*If you are dealing with a sick or injured hiker, the maps will tell you where
the likeliest "extraction" point will be, where the nearest road/car access is,
where stretcher carriers are likliest to come in, etc.

*If you have to leave an injured hiker, you'll have an exact idea of where
he is, rather than an approximate one.

*If you are forced to leave the established Trail for any reason and bush-
whack, the maps will help you with your navigation, and will be invaluable
if you find yourself lost. This can happen often when a section of Trail
is washed out, or one discovers that a stream or river is impassable.
In these situations, without maps, you have a very high possibility of
getting lost or mis-directed. Maps will also tell you if you'll be heading up-
hill or down, which will help give you a better idea of how long it might take
you to cover a certain distance.

*If you are taking part in a search and rescue, especially a search for a
missing person, the maps will help tell you where you are, will help identify
local landmarks, and will help prevent YOU from getting lost while you are
helping others.

*And the main reason....if you or anyone with you should lose the Trail or
become lost, the maps will help you make intelligent decisions as to getting
back to the Trail, finding an alternate route, etc.

*In short, you'll find maps useful every single day of your trip, and they'll
prove themselves invaluable in an emergency situation. Without them, you
are extremely limited in how you can help yourself, or help others, without
making the situation worse for yourself, the injured or lost hiker, or the folks
who'll be out there looking for you. When you have maps, you have a rough
idea what lies ahead of you, or on either side if you must leave the Trail for
any reason. Without maps, you're purely guessing, and are essentially hiking
blind.

SalParadise
11-27-2006, 19:35
Very nice post, Jack. Thanks.

mike!
12-02-2006, 17:05
just as a question.. in conneticut and mass the AT club's produce free vague maps, do any other states provide these maps at various trail heads etc along the trail?
thanks!
mike!

Sly
12-02-2006, 17:33
Another reason to carry maps is that you wont have to stick to the white blazed trail. Open 'er up in the morning, find an alternate route and off you go! Blue Blazers love 'em!

Blissful
12-02-2006, 23:25

I have an extra map #4 - Glenwood-Newcastle Ranger district, Jefferson Nat'l Forest you can have for cheap. Also, have some older edition Shenandoah maps too (Shenandoah hasn't changed). PM me if interested.

Butch Cassidy
12-03-2006, 00:30
Good post Sly, The Whiteblaze followers only know one way to get there. The Maps give the Blue Blazers lots of options.:-?

saimyoji
12-03-2006, 11:21
just as a question.. in conneticut and mass the AT club's produce free vague maps, do any other states provide these maps at various trail heads etc along the trail?
thanks!
mike!

If you are going through a state park, PA and NJ publish park maps that demark the AT, but only to the extent that it is in the park. You can access them online, download and print, or order from the park office, or pick em up at the trailhead.

mike!
12-07-2006, 01:25
hey... just curious.. do you guys think i can get away with the mapdanas and the companion for a thru hike? seems like i could save 100$ or so, while saving a little weight, but still having nearly all the info except i'd be missing the elevation profile, but i could get a vague idea with the elevations of the popular landmarks (mtn tops, shelters etc) right? anything else im not seeing in this win win solution?
thanks!
mike!

swantekkie
12-07-2006, 16:33
Very good point jack, theres nothing more annoying than someone trying to look at your map when u want to get moving in the morning.

Peaks
12-07-2006, 18:59
hey... just curious.. do you guys think i can get away with the mapdanas and the companion for a thru hike? seems like i could save 100$ or so, while saving a little weight, but still having nearly all the info except i'd be missing the elevation profile, but i could get a vague idea with the elevations of the popular landmarks (mtn tops, shelters etc) right? anything else im not seeing in this win win solution?
thanks!
mike!

Map scale isn't adequate IMHO. I recommend buying the maps.

laniamore
12-14-2006, 11:32
So, now I'm even more confused on what to get and the time is running out on the discounts. I don't have 200.00 to spend on maps, but if people really think you need them then I guess I should get them. Has anyone started a poll on this? If not, someone should.

Lone Wolf
12-14-2006, 11:33
The maps could save your life or someone else's.

Almost There
12-14-2006, 11:53
Get the maps, screw the guidebooks!!!

the_iceman
12-19-2006, 18:26
The Famous Map and Book Bundle ends 12/22/06 at the AT Store.

Beware when checking out on the shipping. It seems like a bargain –

Standard Shipping $15.00
FEDX 2-DAY $10.00
And something else…

Drop down selection, 3 choices. Hell what a bargain, must be a special, I picked the 2-Day for $10. When you hit the checkout, after the order is processed, you find out it is $15 plus $10. You can call and they are very nice about fixing it.

highway
12-19-2006, 19:00
There are any number of good reasons to carry maps, and only one poor reason NOT to, and that's to save money.

*Maps will tell you where you are in the world, what lies ahead of you, what
is behind, and what is to either side.

*Maps will reveal geographic features and knowledge that may prove very
useful: They will tell you where roads are, and where roads and side paths
lead. They'll tell you whether or not one will be going up or down hill, or
where there is likely to be reliable water that isn't listed in your guidebooks.

*The elevation profiles will greatly assist your daily trip planning: They'll tell
you where you can likely do a big-mileage day, and likewise, they'll tell you
where it'd be foolish to attempt one. They'll help give you an idea of how
many hours a particular stretch will take to hike, which will greatly lessen
the chances of you falling short of a shelter or road, or running out of
daylight because a stretch took longer than you'd anticipated.

*The maps and elevation profiles will be essential during the planning stages
of your hike, when you're trying to figure out how much food to carry for
particular stretches of Trail. For example 70 miles of Southern Maine is
VERY different from 70 miles of Central Virginia, and a study of the profiles
can help give you a better idea of what one's daily mileage is likely to be
in each section.

*If you like to get your big climbs out of the way early, before it gets too hot,
the maps will provide this information. Likewise, if you don't want to deal
with a big uphill late in the day when you're worn out, the maps will also tell
you about this, so you can plan the end of your day accordingly. With
maps, you have a lot fewer surprises, and you have the option of saving a
bad climb for the next morning if you wish. Without maps, you're blind, and
have only a very rought idea of what the Trail in front of you is like.

*If you want to find a good place to see a beautiful sunrise, sunset, or
meteor shower, the maps will help tell you.

*In an emergency situation, the maps will tell you how you can get out of
the woods or mountains with minimal effort....they will tell you if side trails,
roads, or streams will lead you in the right direction....or the wrong one!
They'll tell you if that jeep track actually leads somewhere, peters out, or
makes a circle. Without a map and the ability to read one, you have no idea
what lies to either side of you, and in an emergency situation, your choices
are basically limited to retreating back down the Trail to a known road
crossing; hiking ahead to the next one; or waiting for rescue. Having a
map in an emergency gives you all sorts of options, and will help you make
an informed, intelligent decsion on how to handle the emergency.

*You'll always know where the "bail out" points are, which is very useful if
you or a friend is hiking ill or injured, and the possibility exists that you might
need to get off the Trail in an unanticipated spot. Likewise, if you have an
emergency situation at home (expectant partner, sick relative, etc). it can
be VERY useful to know where the roads/towns/phones are located if you
have to leave the Trail in a hurry.

*If you are dealing with a sick or injured hiker, the maps will tell you where
the likeliest "extraction" point will be, where the nearest road/car access is,
where stretcher carriers are likliest to come in, etc.

*If you have to leave an injured hiker, you'll have an exact idea of where
he is, rather than an approximate one.

*If you are forced to leave the established Trail for any reason and bush-
whack, the maps will help you with your navigation, and will be invaluable
if you find yourself lost. This can happen often when a section of Trail
is washed out, or one discovers that a stream or river is impassable.
In these situations, without maps, you have a very high possibility of
getting lost or mis-directed. Maps will also tell you if you'll be heading up-
hill or down, which will help give you a better idea of how long it might take
you to cover a certain distance.

*If you are taking part in a search and rescue, especially a search for a
missing person, the maps will help tell you where you are, will help identify
local landmarks, and will help prevent YOU from getting lost while you are
helping others.

*And the main reason....if you or anyone with you should lose the Trail or
become lost, the maps will help you make intelligent decisions as to getting
back to the Trail, finding an alternate route, etc.

*In short, you'll find maps useful every single day of your trip, and they'll
prove themselves invaluable in an emergency situation. Without them, you
are extremely limited in how you can help yourself, or help others, without
making the situation worse for yourself, the injured or lost hiker, or the folks
who'll be out there looking for you. When you have maps, you have a rough
idea what lies ahead of you, or on either side if you must leave the Trail for
any reason. Without maps, you're purely guessing, and are essentially hiking
blind.

The AT is so well-marked I have not carried them but your points are certainly valid. You may have convinced me to change.

While most posts are border upon opinionated garbage, your's was quite informative. Thanks

Boat Drinks
12-19-2006, 21:36
The Famous Map and Book Bundle ends 12/22/06 at the AT Store.

Beware when checking out on the shipping. It seems like a bargain –

Standard Shipping $15.00
FEDX 2-DAY $10.00
And something else…

Drop down selection, 3 choices. Hell what a bargain, must be a special, I picked the 2-Day for $10. When you hit the checkout, after the order is processed, you find out it is $15 plus $10. You can call and they are very nice about fixing it.

Yeah, I got hit on that as well with other items... I let it go, hopefully it's for a good cause...