PDA

View Full Version : Back on the B Mac

Tipi Walter
09-26-2006, 09:29
I just finished a 12 day trip into the Citico/Slickrock wilderness and started off at Beech Gap where I followed the Benton MacKaye trail north to Crowders campsite where I ran into 4 trail workers from the BMTA including Ken Jones. They were set up for 3 days doing some needed maintainance and had their tents and a tarp squared away and so I found a camp 200 yards south and joined them in the late afternoon where we all shared information. Ken Jones is a fountain of local trail info and knows all about the B Mac especially as it traverses thru Tennessee.

The rest of the trip was spent down on Slickrock creek and up on Four Mile Ridge including Naked Ground gap and the Hangover where a windstorm hit me hard and then the long rain began which lasted for about 80 hours and caused some damage thruout the southeast. I think 12 people died due to high water and high wind during this storm that ranged across the southern U.S.

The cooler weather is coming and so I can recommend the hike from Beech Gap to Farr Gap, down the Stiffknee to Slickrock and up Ike Branch to the Lake. This northern part of the B Mac is beautiful and wild and offers around 20 - 24 miles of great backpacking.

SGT Rock
09-26-2006, 09:48
Thanks Tipi, you are making me homesick.

jlb2012
09-26-2006, 11:15
TW - were those 3 pine trail blocking blowdowns still up on Ike Branch?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-26-2006, 12:47
The male dino and I are going to try to get over to the Slickrock area and do some hiking and maintenance. We had planned to go earlier this year, but the male dino injured his fingers and had either a TIA or a vasovegal episode (docs aren't sure).

jlb2012
09-26-2006, 12:53
I'm also thinking of heading to the Slickrock area - mainly to remove those 3 blowdowns on Ike Branch if they are still there. Tentively thinking the second week of Oct.

SGT Rock
09-26-2006, 13:10
I'll go.

No wait, I can't. Dang.

Ramble~On
09-27-2006, 07:06
Going camping with my daughter second week in October...
Going to Slickrock Creek area for some brush clearing Oct 2-3.
I am hoping for some higher elevation foliage color on the Cherohala....

Tipi did you notice any color in the leaves while you were up there ?

Tipi Walter
09-27-2006, 09:13
Going camping with my daughter second week in October...
Going to Slickrock Creek area for some brush clearing Oct 2-3.
I am hoping for some higher elevation foliage color on the Cherohala....

Tipi did you notice any color in the leaves while you were up there ?

Generally no, although after this week of cooler weather things will start to change. I did see infrequent bright reds but the mountain forest still remains green.

Ramble~On
09-28-2006, 04:58
Thanks. I hope to catch some color and I am hoping for a long leaf season this year.

Ramble~On
10-03-2006, 01:52
Leaves are turning and there is good color at elevation on the Cherohala.
It won't be long. I'm hoping for a LONG leaf season.
It was great to be out... and I'm still jealous of Tipi getting to spend 12 days. I wasn't able to attend the work trip that Tipi met at Crowders.
I made up for that today :) .

jlb2012
10-03-2006, 07:42
Leaves are turning and there is good color at elevation on the Cherohala.
It won't be long. I'm hoping for a LONG leaf season.
It was great to be out... and I'm still jealous of Tipi getting to spend 12 days. I wasn't able to attend the work trip that Tipi met at Crowders.
I made up for that today :) .

Which parts of the trails did you work on SpiritWind? Any notable blowdowns that need work?

Ramble~On
10-03-2006, 20:48
The upper half of Stiffknee.. clearing brush ...there was one blowdown but we cleared it easily. This section is in pretty good shape.

I am planning to spend some time on Fodderstack next week.

Tipi Walter
10-04-2006, 21:41
The upper half of Stiffknee.. clearing brush ...there was one blowdown but we cleared it easily. This section is in pretty good shape.

I am planning to spend some time on Fodderstack next week.

Yeah, I love the Stiffknee trail and how it winds thru a solitary valley with numerous little pulloffs and campsites here and there. There are places where the trails crosses Little Slickrock creek that are so nice that one time I had to stop and pull out the stove and cook up an early dinner of pasta just to stay and soak up the area.
On a not so recent trip I was resting at Farr Gap when I saw two contracted trail workers from Polk County coming up the trail huffing and puffing and carrying their gear and implements. I guess the forest service hired them out but now volunteers do most of the work.

Ramble~On
10-06-2006, 03:50
I agree that is a special place..I love the hemlock forest. It's nice that most who use Slickrock Creek stick to it and don't venture to far from it.. The BMT could have taken several different route options including Hangover Lead....I'm glad they went with this route...

Tipi Walter
10-06-2006, 23:44
I agree that is a special place..I love the hemlock forest. It's nice that most who use Slickrock Creek stick to it and don't venture to far from it.. The BMT could have taken several different route options including Hangover Lead....I'm glad they went with this route...

It's funny you should say this cuz during my last trip I chewed over the idea of an alternate B Mac going the usual way from Beech Gap to near Cherry Log Gap but then instead of going north to Farr Gap, my dream B Mac would turn right at Snow Camp where the B Mac connector reaches the Fodderstack Ridge and head over the Bob to the Hangover and down Hangover Lead South to Big Fat and down to Slickrock and then out to the lake. This would give the B Mac backpacker the 2 best experiences in the wilderness, the high ground along Four Mile Ridge and then a pretty walk along the cleanest water in the southeast including the great section coming out to the lake and past the four little wooden footbridges.

Of course, my fantasy dream route would mean 12 cold creek crossings instead of one but in high water the original route could become the alternate, etc. As I was thinking of all this I remembered how nice the Fodderstack/Stiffknee section is without a reroute but in my dementia I wanted to do them all. What to do? I DID THEM BOTH.

Ramble~On
10-07-2006, 03:22
You are 100% right and the reason that I say that I am glad that the BMT takes the route that it does is pure selfishness on my part. The route that you mention offers a great deal more and hits all the "must sees" of the area. The current BMT route through Citico and Slickrock misses the bald, Hangover, the waterfalls and every view and rock formation along Hangover.
I have often thought about the route you mention as it could easily include the side trail to Topoco Lodge which would make a great zero or near zero day and maildrop location just prior to entering the Smokies.
Anyone hiking the BMT through this area on it's current route without taking a few side trips is missing out.

Ramble~On
10-07-2006, 03:25
Oh yeah...forgot the side trail to Topoco already is an option.

I'd love to own that place....have an outfitter, hiker hostel, trail shuttle and offer canoe trips on Calderwood...which is another "must".

Tipi Walter
10-07-2006, 09:19
Oh yeah...forgot the side trail to Topoco already is an option.

I'd love to own that place....have an outfitter, hiker hostel, trail shuttle and offer canoe trips on Calderwood...which is another "must".

You know, at Yellowhammer Gap where the Hangover Lead North trail starts, there's a sign for a trail going east and down into the protected watershed behind Tapoco Lodge. There used to be a metal sign resting on the ground saying to Keep Out Of The Watershed Area but on some of my old maps the trail is shown. The new wooden sign shows the trail but I just can't remember its name. I'll have to look it up in my old journals. Belding Trail!

Tapoco Lodge is only about a quarter mile to the right on Hiway 129 as the B Mac exits the Slickrock wilderness. What's really interesting is that directly across from the lodge at the start of Meadow Branch road is the Yellow Creek Mountain Trailhead which is about 10 miles and goes all the way to Walker Gap and the AT. The YCMT used to be the old AT that skirted Fontana and went across a bridge on Calderwood Lake and into Deals Gap and the Smokies. On several ambitious backpacking trips I would leave Warden's Field in the Citico wilderness and in 3 days could be at Walker Gap by way of Pine Ridge/Fodderstack/Big Stack/Slickrock and up the YCMT.

The whole trail is a nightmare of blowdowns but the first 1.5 miles gets on a high overlook and traverses some danged pretty rock cliffs. It feels cool and weird to be on the original AT that the old legends walked and wrote about and there's one section that still has the steps and switchbacks from before Fontana Dam was finished.

MOWGLI
10-07-2006, 09:46
Hey Walter. You sound like a treasure trove of knowledge regarding trails in that area. Thanks for sharing! Please keep doing so.

generoll
10-08-2006, 09:27
I thought the BMT left Slickrock at Big Fat and followed the Hangover Lead out to Ike Branch and back to Slickrock there by the river. Does the BMT stay on Slickrock all the way from Naked Ground to the bridge?

SGT Rock
10-08-2006, 10:03
Here is a link to the maps:

http://www.bmta.org/bmt_const.htm

generoll
10-08-2006, 10:40
ok, got it. the BMT must not follow the Slickrock at all. The falls on the Slickrock are beautiful, but it is a wet trail. I think there're something like 13 creek crossings in the first 10 miles, some of which require fording. Probably a wise choice to go around it, but the Slickrock is still my favorite trail.

SGT Rock
10-08-2006, 10:53
Yes I agree.

When I started working on the BMT I wondered why the trail didn't follow the creek. That was until I started doing some hikes in the area to maintain the trail. The creek trail option would have been very maintenance intensive compared to putting it where they did. Slickrock creek has a tendency to wash out the trail in places. What a bunch of headaches that would create.

But it is hiking. There are no real rules. If a thru hiker wanted to change the route they take on the BMT through the wilderness, they could go that way if they pleased.

SGT Rock
10-08-2006, 11:43
Speaking of BMT maps, I found a good set of maps for GA on the net that are good for planning:

http://www.georgiahikes.com/main.asp

Sly
10-08-2006, 12:22
Not sure if I asked this before, is there a list of maps for the entire BMT from Springer to Big Creek or where ever it ends? In order would be nce.

SGT Rock
10-08-2006, 12:46
Here is what I know so far Sly:

Springer - you can use the number 1 AT map and it gets you about 11.6 miles up the trail to Bryson Gap.

Between Bryson Gap at 11.6 and Hudson Gap at Mile 56.3 I don't know what map you can buy to get you there yet. However I just ordered the Chattahochie Nationl Forrest Trail Map which should cover that area. I'll let you know in a couple of weeks when I get it here. But for right now all I know of to do is print your own maps from that link I just gave: http://www.georgiahikes.com/main.asp You need pages 2-7 to cover that.

From Hudson Gap at 56.3 to 20 mile ranger station at 191.4 you can use Trails Illiustrated Map #781.

Then from 20 mile ranger station at 191.4 to the end of the trails in the Smokies you can use the Trails Illustrated GSMNP.

Sly
10-08-2006, 13:40
Thanks Rock, good info. I'm looking foward to doing the trail.

SGT Rock
10-08-2006, 13:45
When are you going?

Sly
10-08-2006, 14:15
When are you going?

I'm not exactly sure. I'm thinking about hiking the BMT/AT into Trail Days. Seeing as I'll be out of shape, it'll probably take 6-7 weeks, so sometime mid-late March

SGT Rock
10-08-2006, 15:10
I'll be back in time for that though I don't plan to hit the BMT other than for trail maintenance at that time. Hope to see you at Trail Days.

generoll
10-08-2006, 18:35
The Chattahoochee National Forest map which I recently purchased has all of the area of the BMT as far as Big Frog. The scale is 1:126,720 which might not be as useful as some might wish for hiking, but it certainly covers all of the ground in Georgia. It also includes the AT as far as the Ga/NC line plus a bit north of there, so as you can see, one sheet covers a lot of ground.

Sly
10-08-2006, 19:28
The Chattahoochee National Forest map which I recently purchased has all of the area of the BMT as far as Big Frog. The scale is 1:126,720 which might not be as useful as some might wish for hiking, but it certainly covers all of the ground in Georgia. It also includes the AT as far as the Ga/NC line plus a bit north of there, so as you can see, one sheet covers a lot of ground.

That should be fine. I have killer instincts! ;)

SGT Rock
10-09-2006, 02:03
https://mivasecure.abac.com/foreststore1/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GAm3&Category_Code=MAPGA

Is this the map you have generoll?

Ewker
10-09-2006, 10:55
is this book any good on the Ga section of the BMT?

http://www.peachtree-online.com/Adults/Catalog/bentonmackaye.htm

MOWGLI
10-09-2006, 11:07
is this book any good on the Ga section of the BMT?

http://www.peachtree-online.com/Adults/Catalog/bentonmackaye.htm

Yes. It is. All the way to the Ocoee River.

SGT Rock
10-09-2006, 11:45
Hey Sly,

I don't know if this will help you or anyone else, but after generoll's post last night I got to thinking that the map I ordered probably won't do what I want it to either. So I took the maps 1 - 8 on the Georgia Hikes Website and made it so they all had the right orientation and scale and stitched them together. Then I put the file into Adobe Acrobat so it prints out right on any color printer. I don't know what the scale is exactly but it looks like about 1:36,000. So now the first 60 miles of the BMT can be printed on 3 sheets of 8.5"x11" paper if you do it front to back. All you need is a color printer and a way to keep them from getting messed up in the field.

So now for hiking the BMT end to end you only need this:

1. missing_ga.pdf (http://hikinghq.net/user_projects/missing_ga.pdf) for Springer Mountain, GA to Flat Top Mountain, GA (-0.9 to 65.3)

2. Trails Illustrated #781 for Flat Top Mountain, GA to 20 Mile Ranger Station in NC (65.3 to 191.4)

3. Trails Illustrated GSMNP trail map for 20 Mile Ranger Station to Davenport Gap (191.4 to 287.6)

Hope this helps some people.

Sly
10-09-2006, 11:50
Awesome Rock. You're making things easy!

SGT Rock
10-09-2006, 11:57
Well I am doing it for me too. ;)

I plan to thru-hike the BMT as the start of my AT thru-hike in 2008. So far I have put together my own trail guide and now a map set.

Maybe in March I can leave you a little stashed trail magic on the BMT where I maintain :sun

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-09-2006, 12:34
Thanks Sgt Rock

generoll
10-09-2006, 14:14
the map you showed me does not have the same cover page. mine is a 2000 edition, so it might be the same map with a different cover, but my map covers the area from south of Springer to just north of the GA state line and inludes a small strip of Tennessee and North Carolina. It has both the summit of Big Frog and the southern portion of the Standing Indian Loop including the Carter Gap shelter so as you can see it has a lot of coverage E-W. There's a number on the map and when I get home I'll see if I find a stock number or something. It is a Forest Service Map, but the title is the Chattahoochee Forest, so it may not be exactly the same map.

generoll
10-09-2006, 14:16
hmmm, for some reason I couldn't go back and edit my message to correct a couple of spelling errors. I had made a donation to WB, has that expired or is there some other reason why I can't edit my post?

Skidsteer
10-09-2006, 17:53
Thanks Sgt. Rock.

That link went straight to my favorites. :)

SGT Rock
10-10-2006, 01:13
hmmm, for some reason I couldn't go back and edit my message to correct a couple of spelling errors. I had made a donation to WB, has that expired or is there some other reason why I can't edit my post?

May be a setting messed up on the "Other Trails" forums. I'll look into it when I get back from patrol.

SGT Rock
10-10-2006, 01:51
In case someone asks - the trail profiles.

The ones that came with that map set has issues. Bad issues. Different scales for height. different base points, different mileage scales, and even a 5.3 mile section missing. I'm working on adjusting those in my spare time, But I cannot do anything for the missing 5.4 mile section. So I'll do what I can and make a separate page for the profiles in case you want them. That way you can take them if you want or not even print if if you don't.

Sly
10-10-2006, 07:48

Gene, The edit function isn't available in the other trails forums. I'm not sure why, maybe Rock or Troll can fix it so it's available.

Sly
10-10-2006, 07:48
Oops, missed Rock's post.

Krewzer
10-10-2006, 09:09
Hey Guys, I've been waiting to see if we could make this trip happen or not and now it looks like everything is good to go. Rabbit and I are going to start around the 1st of Nov. to thru the BMT.

Here's a few questions I haven't gotten complete answers to yet:

Comments on resupply would be appreciated. Right now we're going to try the mail drop thing about every 50 or so miles. A 108 mile supply to the Hiwassee River is another option, just not as appealing.

How's the hitchin' to the Cherrylog PO?
Do Hiwassee Outfitters, Webb Brothers Store or Green Cove Motel close this time of year?
Can you resupply for a week hike at Webb Brothers store?
What hunting seasons are open?
Where are the problem areas for trail markings and following the trail?

A couple for you Sarge and thanks for the map. That's nice, no more scotch taped maps on kitchen table.
Is the " 5.3 mile section missing" section just on the profile or is it a map issue?
Where is it?

(Actually, I'm not sure I really want an answer to that last one. Trail life wouldn't be the same if there wasn't a missing mountain on the trail profile to complain about.;))

Thanks!

generoll
10-10-2006, 09:37
when you get to the section around Whiggs Meadow and Beech Gap you may find yourself there during coon hunting season. The issue then will be lots of hungry dogs hanging around you. The hunters typically don't feed the dogs for a couple of days before a hunt and then they turn them loose. I spent a night on Bobs Bald with a mixture of different owners dogs and when I put out my dogs food there was one hellacious dog fight that ensued. My dog wasn't that hungry and wisely stepped back and let the pack fight it out among themselves. The dogs all have radio collars that transmit when pinged and the hunters follow their dogs by the signal. We had company all night and had to watch our packs to keep the dogs out of them. You are going to be in three states (GA, TN, NC) and each has a slightly different hunting schedule including bow and arrow, muzzle loader, etc. You'll just have to check with each states game and fish commision to get the info on hunting season, but most of them start some time in November.

SGT Rock
10-10-2006, 10:27
Comments on resupply would be appreciated. Right now we're going to try the mail drop thing about every 50 or so miles. A 108 mile supply to the Hiwassee River is another option, just not as appealing.

Here is my plan:

Day 1. Start at springer with about 6 days of food (plus a dinner for night one). I've done up to 10 days without resupply before, so 6 days of food is easy. Starting at Springer Mountain after lunch, I plan to just go to Long Creek Falls. That is just a 7.7 mile day.

Day 2. Get to the Dixi Mart (17.4mi) near the end of day two and see what I need to add - get back up to 6 days of food there plus get some hot food there. This means probably getting one more day of food at the most

Day 3 - start with 6 days food

Day 4 stop at a resturaunt there for lunch (35.9mi). This means fresh food and extends my food supply some more. Maybe even order a take out for dinner that night.

Day 5 start with 4 days of food

Day 6 start with 3 days of food

Day 7 start with 2 days of food

Day 8 Have a mail Drop sent to Hiwassee Scenic River Outfitters (108.3mi) and pick it up at the end of the day. The mail Drop will have 5 more days food in it. Plan to stay at the bunkhouse listed on the BMT website at that location.

Day 9 start with 5 days of food

Day 10 start with 4 days of food

Day 11 start with 3 days of food

Day 12 start with 2 days of food

Day 13 start with 1 day left of food (This day I could go into Tapaco for resupply if needed - 182.7mi)

Day 14 go a few miles into the Dragon Inn (187.8mi) and get a Dragon Burger and then get picked up and go into town for a resupply. This should be about 6 days and should get me through the Smokies. Luckily for me I live in Maryville, so I can go home and do stuff.

Day 15 take a zero (at home)

Day 16 start with 6 days of food

Day 17 start with 5 days of food

Day 18 start with 4 days of food

Day 19 start with 3 days of food. I should end this day at Smokemont Campground (254.4mi) so I can get to Cherokee if needed. Smokemont has showers.

Day 20 start with 2 days of food

Day 21 Make it into Davenport Gap (287.6mi). This gets to resupply at Standing Bear Hostel and Mountain Momma's Kuntry Kitchen.

Hikerhead
10-10-2006, 14:03
Rock-Just something to keep in mind that the restraunts past Shackleford Bridge might be closed. We started on Sunday and arrived here early Wed morning and all three were closed. One was going to open at lunch time. I was disappointed. Check out Hammock Hangers Trail Jounal.

SGT Rock
10-10-2006, 14:36
I already read it ;)

But yes, I already found that info on the BMTA website and it is in my homemade data book, that is why I plan on a lunch there. When I get back and go do my next trail maintenance trip, I plan to go check out the store in Tapoco so I can give advice on how much of a resupply you can get there.

HH's Jounral is a good one. Mowgli does a good job with the GA section. A really good one is Welche's journal - he did the whole thing from Springer to Davenport Gap - and he did it in some cold weather -brrrr.

SGT Rock
10-10-2006, 15:41
hey, one of you donating members see if you can edit your own posts now.

Krewzer
10-10-2006, 17:25
Thanks for the info guys.

...and No, I can't edit in this thread. ?????

xxxxxxtestxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Skidsteer
10-10-2006, 17:49
hey, one of you donating members see if you can edit your own posts now.

Well, I can but I'm a Mod so I'm not sure if all donating members can or not.

Sly
10-10-2006, 18:55
Well, I can but I'm a Mod so I'm not sure if all donating members can or not.

let me check,,,,

Sly
10-10-2006, 18:56
nope no edit button here

Mr E
10-11-2006, 06:33
test of member permissions

Edit successful

Krewzer
10-11-2006, 09:42
Working now..thnx

SGT Rock
10-11-2006, 12:13
No problem.

SGT Rock
10-12-2006, 02:53
As promised. I have updated the map set and now have the trail elevation profile included. I also went back through the maps and added a scale onto each page in case you need to measure distance and don't want to have to always go back to page one for the scale. The elevation profiles are on pages 1 and two and are seperate from the rest of the maps so those that don't want them can just omit them from the print job. http://hikinghq.net/user_projects/missing_ga2.pdf . This part of the project was actually harder than I expected. I also cannot totally vouch for the accuracy of the 5.3 miles of profile that I had to create using a graphing program.

Ewker
10-12-2006, 09:33
Sarge, thanks for all your hard work on this. The more I read about the BMT the more I want to hike it.

fvital
10-12-2006, 09:45
here's some links to the GA DNR for their seasons.

deer, bear, turkey: http://georgiawildlife.dnr.state.ga.us/content/displaycontent.asp?txtDocument=279&txtPage=2

small game:

http://georgiawildlife.dnr.state.ga.us/content/displaycontent.asp?txtDocument=279&txtPage=3

Egads
02-03-2009, 20:05
I am hiking the TN Sections of the BMT. Is it safe to leave a car at Beech Gap, Cherohala Skyway?

Any great blue blazes, campsites, or problems on the section from the Hiawassee River power house to Beech Gap?

Thanks

SGT Rock
02-03-2009, 21:38
I've not had any problems parking at Beech Gap, but I have only left a car there a couple of days.

Cool Campsites: Whigg Medow and probably the rock quarry. Tate Gap is also cool with the old house. At tate gap you will see the BMT turn left to go up a knob from an old jeep road (assuming you are going north). If you stay on that old jeep road about 0.1m you will come to a great campsite with a dug spring box, firewood, and a nice grassy spot it looks like someone had dug out to build a cabin but never did. It's in a nice little sheltered holler so it would be a great place if there was wind coming.

Here is a picture of the house a Tate Gap: http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=293140&back=1