PDA

View Full Version : ULA Catalyst dual-stay framsheet?

vaporjourney
09-26-2006, 12:06
I'm very close to placing an order for the ULA Catalyst (out of stock at outfitter in Hot Springs, NC), and cannot wait to get the thing. I know that it's gonna be a while since no ULA products are shipping until November. In the mean time, i'm trying to decide if I should get the dual stay framesheet or not. Their site says that it is for increased load stability. Just not sure if this is necessary or not. I doubt I'll really be pushing the pack to its 40 lb limit. Is the main time when you need two framestays?

Tabasco
09-26-2006, 12:26
I had the dual stay framesheet in my Catalyst. It's easily removeable for times I don't need it, and there for when I do. You will love this pack.

Michele
09-26-2006, 17:38
I'm very close to placing an order for the ULA Catalyst (out of stock at outfitter in Hot Springs, NC), and cannot wait to get the thing. I know that it's gonna be a while since no ULA products are shipping until November. In the mean time, i'm trying to decide if I should get the dual stay framesheet or not. Their site says that it is for increased load stability. Just not sure if this is necessary or not. I doubt I'll really be pushing the pack to its 40 lb limit. Is the main time when you need two framestays?

I too own the Catalyst. I have the single-stay frame. My pack weight is probably never higher than 35 lbs. There is another WB'er, Buckles, who ordered the dual-stay frame and spoke w/Brian (owner/creator of ULA) about it. I can't remember exactly what Brian told Buckles, but it was enough for Buckles to go to single stay. I'll see if I can get Buckles to reply to your question. Hang tight. You'll love this pack by the way. I will say, however, that it is very important to remove the frame and bend it to your back shape. Made a HUGE difference in the way it felt.

Sly
09-26-2006, 17:48
If you don't mind driving 2.5 hours (each way) you could try Mt Rogers Outfitters in Damascus. Of course, I'd call 1st.

Buckles
09-26-2006, 23:52
As Michele wrote, I'm the proud owner of a ULA Catalyst (rock on, Brian Frankel!). I ordered mine with dual aluminum stays. I could probably get 40 lbs. in it. However, a full pack for me is around 20 lbs., sans food/water. Do I really need dual stays? Not really, but I prefer a firm framesheet. I like this pack. You can have it when you pry my cold body from the straps. I guess that's an endorsement.

DawnTreader
09-26-2006, 23:56
ULA Catalyst owner... love it
single stays.. 3 season pack always 30 lb. always felt super rigid

TOW
09-27-2006, 15:50
I just put one on lay away about a month ago................