PDA

View Full Version : low-rent power gel?

johnny quest
09-26-2006, 14:31
does anyone use those power gels that mountain bikers and runners use? and if so has anyone ever tried just sucking on "free" honey packets from kfc? i have a runner friend who says honey is not digestible like the powergels and can cause heartburn. ive never noticed it.

hammock engineer
09-26-2006, 14:36
I used to use the power bar brand gels some during my rowing days. I don't remember them being very filling or giving a lasting burst. The worked for what I needed them to. A quick burst that would not make me feel full and last for an hour or so.

hikerjohnd
09-26-2006, 14:48
As to the honey question - if you are prone to heartburn (reflux candidate, etc) then yes, honey will aggrivate that condition. If you do not have heartburn issues then you will probably be fine.

I have no idea about how honey compares with the gels nutritionally.

Phreak
09-26-2006, 14:55
The research I've seen on honey and power gels is there is very little difference. I use both and have good results from both. I can only do a couple packs of honey each day (too sweet for me) but I've used up to 15 packs of GU Vanilla Bean on my speed hikes or when running an ultrathon. They are a short-term fix tho, you'll need to take a packet of honey or gel every 45 minutes or so. When running, they recommend a pack every 45 minutes or 5 miles, whichever comes first. I typically follow the 45-60 minute timeframe.

johnny quest
09-26-2006, 15:06
[QUOTE=Phreak;249494]The research I've seen on honey and power gels is there is very little difference. QUOTE]

ive come to pretty much the same conclusion from reading the ingredients and using both. i did a endurance canoe race recently and used honey as well as gels and they worked about the same, not long enough.

greentick
09-26-2006, 15:21
The research I've seen on honey and power gels is there is very little difference. I use both and have good results from both. I can only do a couple packs of honey each day (too sweet for me)... .

Phreak, try Tupelo honey (type, not brand). Publix carries some, as does Wal-mart but with different brand names. I like the type at walmart better. It is not nearly as sweet as "standard" honey. I keep a "bear" squeeze bottle in an outer pocket for an occasional boost.

Kerosene
09-27-2006, 09:06
I've used both Honey Stinger, Gu, and PowerBar brand gels, usually before or during a long ascent. However, after my last few section hikes I'm not really convinced that they're any better than sucking on a Jolly Rancher while I'm climbing, especially for the cost. Maybe I just need to be distracted from the climb.

asphalt commando
09-27-2006, 14:24
I have used the squeeze packs of honey, and they work great for a quick boost. Never had the heart burn problem. I will generally do about 3-4 packs during a long day of hiking. They work for that boost of energy...

gumball
09-28-2006, 05:14
I've used the Chocolate GU's about 15 minutes before I know I've got a strenuous uphill climb for an extra boost with some water--on hot days, when you don't feel like eating a lot but still need a boost of calories, I like the GU.

gum

Swass
10-02-2006, 13:00
I'm a gel fan. I got hooked during marathon training because I usually didn't have the stomach for a big meal before a long morning run, and one before a run plus 1 or 2 during was plenty.

But there is nothing less appetizing after running 20 miles in 80F+ than squeezing something into your mouth that has the taste and consitancy of cake frosting.

From what I remember from training, the problem with honey was that there was a lack of... something? sodium or protein or something that you needed. Sorry I can't be more clear, I'll look it up. But I did find a recipe for a cheap and natural version of a gel that involved honey and blackstrap molasses. It tasted a lot better than the gels. I'll look for it. I think it was on active.com.

Phreak
10-02-2006, 13:08
Phreak, try Tupelo honey (type, not brand). Publix carries some, as does Wal-mart but with different brand names. I like the type at walmart better. It is not nearly as sweet as "standard" honey. I keep a "bear" squeeze bottle in an outer pocket for an occasional boost.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll give it a try.

Swass
10-02-2006, 13:09
Aha. It was potassium. Here's the recipe I used (a couple years ago):

Home-brew power goop:

7 and 1/3 Tablespoons of Honey
3/4 teaspoons of Blackstrap Molasses
1/10 teaspoons (just shy of 1/8 tsp) of table salt

Be sure to mix everything together well, and it should make enough to fill a 5 serving GU flask.

It comes from this arcticle:

http://www.dirtragmag.com/web/article.php?ID=422&category=web_only

Which is just one guy's opinion and not very scientific, but still made sense to me. There's also a recipe with added protein.

The only benefit I saw from Gu and Powergels was the convenience. I would actually tape one to my bike frame during triathalons so I could slurp it on the go.

Appalachian Tater
10-09-2006, 10:32
Of course I can't find the info on KFC's website, but their "honey" packets are actually packets of "honey sauce", a mixture of honey and corn syrup.

TJ aka Teej
10-09-2006, 11:05
Honey is an old school backpacking food. Real honey, that is. That stuff in the packets is, as Appalachian Tater notes, a "honey like product" at best.

gsingjane
10-10-2006, 08:58
I have tried the PowerBar brand and the GU brand gels during my recent marathon training and I think they're incredible. About 10-12 miles in to a 20-miler, I grab one of those things and it feels like I put rockets on my shoes - especially the ones with caffeine. I can't believe I ran all those years and resisted trying them, thinking they were some kind of new-fangled nothing product. The only issues I see with them are (a) you do need to drink water along with them or the taste lingers in an unpleasant way (especially the sweeter varieties like chocolate or strawberry) and (b) if you take too many, there is a real risk of getting over-caffeinated. The ShotBloks are fun, but too bulky to fit comfortably into the pockets of my running shorts.

The difference between the gels and something like honey is, I think, that the gels also try to address the electrolyte imbalance that starts to crop up after you've been running and sweating for quite a while. They put sodium and other needed substances back into your bloodstream, or at least that is the claim.

I am definitely going to take some gels along for my next longer bp trip. On those days when I'm feeling burnt out or overly fatigued, I think a gel might be just the thing.

Jane in CT