PDA

View Full Version : Windstopper Gloves

Mike & Gloria Walsh
09-26-2006, 16:22
We will start our thru hike Feb 2007 NOBO. What kind of outer gloves do thru hiker use.:jump

Phreak
09-26-2006, 16:29
I use Gates Windstoppers unless it's extremely cold, then I switch to Mountain Hardwear Flipsides.

The Solemates
09-26-2006, 17:20
I always use a pair of heavy thinsulate convertible hunting glove/mitten combos. The down side to this is that you have exposed hands when you need your fingers to work your stove, etc. I find it is not that big of a deal, besides with my big hands, liners are still too cumbersome for detailed work with fingers. Instead, you could....

My wife uses a thin pair of polypro liners (which she wears all the time in cold weather) and on top of that a pair of insulated mittens (which she puts on if it is really cold). When she needs her fingers, the poly liners allow her to use them.

Cherokee Bill
11-05-2006, 09:46
:-? 11/04/06

Yesterday, at the Lynchburg, VA airport we set a new low-temp record of 21-deg. for the day (compared to the same date over past years)

That A.M. we hiked the "AT", Rt. 60 at Long Mtn. Way side -N- to Cold Mtn. 5-mi one way. The temp up there was about 15-deg.

I wore glove liners w/ a pair of "windproof" gloves, purchased at a local outdoor outfitter.

My finger tips about froze!!!!!!!!!!!

Will be looking for a better system.:rolleyes:

highway
11-05-2006, 09:57
We will start our thru hike Feb 2007 NOBO. What kind of outer gloves do thru hiker use.:jump

Very occasionally and it has to be very cold but just wear a dry pair of wool socks as mittens. i never have but I suppose one could use a pair of sock lines, too, for wind blockage..same concept works on clothes.

Footslogger
11-05-2006, 14:08
I prefer the Manzella polypro liners an a pair of waterproof mitten shells (OR Rain Mitts).

'Slogger

maxNcathy
11-08-2006, 10:33
Mitts are warmer than gloves so I never wear gloves below freezing temps unless working very hard where blood can flow to fingers better.

1azarus
11-08-2006, 15:08
hey, has anyone tried wearing latex gloves -- the disposable kind you get in the drug store -- under wool gloves, socks or mittens?

Jack Tarlin
11-08-2006, 15:13
See www.orgear.com

They make the best accessories I know of.

Birddog
11-08-2006, 15:19
hey, has anyone tried wearing latex gloves -- the disposable kind you get in the drug store -- under wool gloves, socks or mittens?

Laytex gloves will make your hands sweat

Birddog
11-08-2006, 15:21
I wear a pair of red Ledge liners. They work well for all but the worse of conditions, in which case I wear a pair of Manzella windstoppers over the liners. I also sometimes wear my old Army wool liners. Bit heavier than the red Ledge but they wick better and are cheap. BD

1azarus
11-08-2006, 15:54
wait a sec -- will the latex gloves work as a light weight waterproof inner liner when it is, say, below 40 degrees, without an uncomfortable amount of sweat... and are they especially useful if it happens to be 35 degrees and raining?

Egads
11-08-2006, 20:10
I have Outdoor Research Omni gloves & plan to add the OR Snowline mitts for cold weather.

Please report back in spring how your system worked for you this winter.

Egads

snarbles
12-03-2006, 11:50
I bought a pair of OR Airfoils and was not impressed. They seemed to always be damp for some reason.

Looking for a better system. Anybody have a link to the OR Rain Mitts, perhaps I'm blind but I'm not seeing them on their website.